COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

I haven't received mine, but my parents, sister (who's had COVID), and brother (Active Duty) have. I think they all got the Moderna one. We're all O+ and none of them have reported anything other than a sore arm. Even when my sister got COVID she said she had a headache and was tired, but didn't have really any other symptoms.

I’m O+, along with my mother and sister and It kicked all our asses on the second dose, so I don’t buy this blood type rumor going around.

Might as well start a reaction rumor to astrological sign while we are interneting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've also heard that if you already had covid, the first shot is usually the hard hitter, and for those who didn't have covid, the second shot is the hard hitter. But I'm only an engineer so I dont really know. 

That has been my non scientific observation with the folks I know who have been vaccinated. Those who had Covid prior got their asses kicked by the first shot. Those who did not have Covid had more difficulty with shot #2.

I mean, I’m not a doctor but I did stay in a Turumi Inn last night.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawman said:

I’m O+, along with my mother and sister and It kicked all our asses on the second dose, so I don’t buy this blood type rumor going around.

Might as well start a reaction rumor to astrological sign while we are interneting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does make sense since Mercury was in Gatorade last night and my rising moon is a Caprisun..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just one data point but I’m A+ and I’ve had both covid and the Moderna vaccine - covid was a breeze, three days of very mild sinus congestion with the standard loss of smell (for two months and counting).

Dose 1 gave me a sore arm for a few days. Dose 2 gave me an overnight wake-up with chills and fatigue that lasted 8 hours...then I was fine. 

There’s a lot more to it than just blood type. 

10 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

That has been my non scientific observation with the folks I know who have been vaccinated. Those who had Covid prior got their asses kicked by the first shot. Those who did not have Covid had more difficulty with shot #2.

I mean, I’m not a doctor but I did stay in a Turumi Inn last night.

I hope that's the case...I had a rebound yesterday and spent another 20 hours in bed with a fever, chills, and body aches.  That SUCKED!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I hope that's the case...I had a rebound yesterday and spent another 20 hours in bed with a fever, chills, and body aches.  That SUCKED!

That was my reaction to the first shot. I had almost no reaction to the second shot except for being tired for a couple days.

Like CH, I got mine at the VA and I've never used them for anything.  Eligibility is receiving care or eligible to receive care.  They had a car checkpoint just after the gate asking the symptoms questions.  After that, they had a few folks directing traffic to the area doing the shots in the hospital.  Got a clipboard and number (like the barber shop) and waited my turn.  Our VA has been doing Moderna but they just got a shipment of Pfizer and that's what I got (and based on my own research, I preferred).  They were giving 2nd doses of Moderna that morning as well.  After the shot, I barely had a sore arm, but I massaged it a lot after the shot.  And that was it.  No temp, no aches, no chills, nothing.  I suspect I got a shot of saline. And ditto on the VA staff, all friendly and such.  As for scheduling, I get the VA e-mail newsletters and saw they are now doing all eligible vets.  The state is at 1B.  I called, someone answered right away, and was scheduled with what worked for me, 2 days out.  I'm eligible to get a shot thru Cook County in IL via work for the last 4 weeks, but any attempt has been a shit show.

Out

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Have you had COVID?

Not sure. I had pneumonia for a couple weeks in Feb 2020 while stationed in Asia that was unresponsive to antibiotics, but they wouldn’t test me because I hadn’t been in China.

16 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I didn't get illness symptoms. Shot 1, Day 2 was a really sore arm and exhaustion. Slept for 16 hours.

Seeking clarification on the current special leave accrual policy.  I'm hearing multiple stories from different sources.  The two most popular are 1) that we can continue racking up and carrying use/lose balances across fiscal years until 30 Sep 23, with a maximum of 120 days total.  2) is that we can only carry as much use/lose into the next FY as we carried into the current year (eg if I had 20 days use/lose on 30 Sep 20, the most use/lose I can have on 30 Sep 21 is also 20 days).

Seeking clarification on the current special leave accrual policy.  I'm hearing multiple stories from different sources.  The two most popular are 1) that we can continue racking up and carrying use/lose balances across fiscal years until 30 Sep 23, with a maximum of 120 days total.  2) is that we can only carry as much use/lose into the next FY as we carried into the current year (eg if I had 20 days use/lose on 30 Sep 20, the most use/lose I can have on 30 Sep 21 is also 20 days).

It's the latter, and your example is correct. You can carry that increased amount forward until 30 Sep 23 (in your example, 20 days of use/lose), and then it drops back down to 60 days.

https://www.whs.mil/Portals/75/Coronavirus/Special%20Leave%20Accrual.pdf?ver=2020-04-16-171940-100

Couldn't find the memo on the DoD site, goes to a broken link, but doesn't show as rescinded or superseded.

4 hours ago, wazzuPIC said:

Definitely your second scenario. Quite a few finance and A1 types from HAF piped in to clarify it on a FB group I followed for a bit. 

There is rumors that they will extend a second SLA for next year but they are waiting to see what happens this year. 

Personally, most of Europe still can't take leave outside their immediate local area. So they really need a second SLA or they are going to watch a lot of leave get burnt this summer as people hoard it in hopes that travel opens. 

• Upvote 1

The dude is right ..Iraq was (still is?) a pointless goat rope...Anyway, let's assume the bug is a Chinese lab leak.  There will be time to figure that out.  What is needed NOW is to fight the spread with all of the science..protective equipment..social safety procedures that the science types can devise..instead we have non-stop political arguing, defiance of what the medical people suggest, politicians who can't tell the truth on a good day,  and a better than even chance of the bug re-igniting as spring rolls around.  I guess the only thing to do is get on the TV and jabber about a possible cause.  Maybe we can crucify Fauci.  No one yet knows exactly how to handle this.  The Emergency Department types are begging people to comply with an educated guess bolstered by science so they don't get beat into puddles of spit yet again..Pretend that you have landing gear problems..you are on the phone to Boeing, the advice is iffy...but you gotta do something NOW..maybe work?  maybe not..but NOW.. you get the blame if it's wrong..   BTW  for those above..i'm A-neg got the shot, no side effects, nothing, tested negative all along,  so who know's?

The dude is right ..Iraq was (still is?) a pointless goat rope...Anyway, let's assume the bug is a Chinese lab leak.  There will be time to figure that out.  What is needed NOW is to fight the spread with all of the science..protective equipment..social safety procedures that the science types can devise..instead we have non-stop political arguing, defiance of what the medical people suggest, politicians who can't tell the truth on a good day,  and a better than even chance of the bug re-igniting as spring rolls around.  I guess the only thing to do is get on the TV and jabber about a possible cause.  Maybe we can crucify Fauci.  No one yet knows exactly how to handle this.  The Emergency Department types are begging people to comply with an educated guess bolstered by science so they don't get beat into puddles of spit yet again..Pretend that you have landing gear problems..you are on the phone to Boeing, the advice is iffy...but you gotta do something NOW..maybe work?  maybe not..but NOW.. you get the blame if it's wrong..   BTW  for those above..i'm A-neg got the shot, no side effects, nothing, tested negative all along,  so who know's?

1. Our society and the greater whole of western nations have an extremely short memory on anything, much less the will to actual do something about changing our relationship with China.

2. When the original evidence to this theory propped up last year (checkout the SIPR side of things) it was widely criticized as nothing more than a Republican fabricated ploy to wag the dog and distract. So yes the critics and talking heads that kept up that narrative need to be held to task on them spinning it as a narrative.

We have more than enough people involved in fixing the problem, we don’t need to solely focus on that and let China exercise their soft power influence in the WHO and scrub/secures any existing evidence while we diddle and wait. If this is indeed what happened what they did makes the Soviets and Chernobyl look like not a big deal.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So as I sit here after being told (again) our OG will only be released a SINGLE DIGIT number of doses this week (again) in my OCONUS assignment due to lack of availability, it’s a little bit infuriating to hear about all of the vaccines we are shipping off to other countries.

I am absolutely a fan of sharing the wealth, but when we have mission requirements driving ROM, copious testing, and the resultant impacts to users associated with both, seems like we’re missing the bubble with regard to distribution strategy.

@congressman

• Like 1

My googling has been limited, but why get the vaccine if you’ve already had the virus? CDC has no clue how long the vaccine will remain effective and has no clue how long the antibodies from COVID exposure will be retained by the body. Is it just to be extra “safe”?

Edited by Standby