COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

59 minutes ago, MyCS said:

Show me in the leave regulation where it says I have to be vaccinated to burn use/lose or to take leave? Show me a mandatory order from the POTUS for every branch to vaccinate. Good luck running this through JAG. 

Show me in the leave AFI where it says leave is automatically approved when submitted.  I know someone overseas and the quarantine/testing/zero leave actions make our military people almost prisoners.  If "exposed" they quarantine you for 2 weeks in your room... can't leave at all.  Which I hear is the runtime of watching every Simpsons episode.  One finds the end of the internet pretty quick like that. 

If and when a mandatory vaccinate order comes, the order will be fully vetted by DoD/Executive level legal.  And there is a waiver for anything, except physics.

PS, the things people lose their shit over these days is epically amazing. 

Out

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, jazzdude said:

Unfortunately, you can burn leave sitting at home. Nowhere does it say you have to be allowed to travel out of the local area on leave, it's up to the commander to approve (and not just for vaccine status, but for mission reasons as well).

Just like the leave reg doesn't specify what local area means, and commanders get to define what that means for their units. Some commanders are much more liberal than others on what that means. I've seen anywhere from 2 hour radius, to don't cross a mountain pass during winter, to go anywhere you want in CONUS after work on Friday just be ready to work on Monday.

And I'd bet the local JAG has already done a review on the policy before it was published.

Yeah. While it's shitty, I'm willing to bet it is still a lawful order. 

The threat COVID has to shit down an entire Wing level organization (See Capt Brett Crozier) for a period of several weeks has basically given commanders carte blanche to do as they see fit to protect their units mission from exposure. 

Edited by FLEA

3 hours ago, MyCS said:

Show me in the leave regulation where it says I have to be vaccinated to burn use/lose or to take leave? Show me a mandatory order from the POTUS for every branch to vaccinate. Good luck running this through JAG. 

I suspect you'll find it in the authorities granted during a public health emergency.

On base this morning and realized when I parked the only mask I had in my car was a purple surgical mask and not one of the “approved” mask colors. 

Joked to myself that I’ll probably pass the wrong person and get lectured. Literally the FIRST person I pass is a Chief who stops me, “Sir, just so you know, a purple mask is not authorized.” “Yeah, understood but it was the only one I had in my car and I’ve gotta get to my desk.” He probably sensed my give a crap level was zero and followed it up with a “when you are in uniform Sir you’ve got to meet all of the standards.”

Ah yes, you mean this stupid piece of cloth that was never ever meant to be a part of a military uniform and is actually allegedly being worn for the safety of me and you? 

Unfortunately I don’t have the balls to say that last part. Just moved on with a “copy” and walked away. 

Just for shits I looked up the approved mask colors again, and literally the most common surgical mask color you can find (the light blue) is not approved for use in uniform. 

Edited by kaputt
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kaputt said:

On base this morning and realized when I parked the only mask I had in my car was a purple surgical mask and not one of the “approved” mask colors. 

Joked to myself that I’ll probably pass the wrong person and get lectured. Literally the FIRST person I pass is a Chief who stops me, “Sir, just so you know, a purple mask is not authorized.” “Yeah, understood but it was the only one I had in my car and I’ve gotta get to my desk.” He probably sensed my give a crap level was zero and followed it up with a “when you are in uniform Sir you’ve got to meet all of the standards.”

Ah yes, you mean this stupid piece of cloth that was never ever meant to be a part of a military uniform and is actually allegedly being worn for the safety of me and you? 

Unfortunately I don’t have the balls to say that last part. Just moved on with a “copy” and walked away. 

Just for shits I looked up the approved mask colors again, and literally the most common surgical mask color you can find (the light blue) is not approved for use in uniform. 

Shoulda asked for an AFI reference.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Man, that woman had some hella bad side effects. She became a man, an AF Col, ed up every decision she made after retiring, and is now lining for being the queen again. Lame.
  • Haha 1

One of the things I did not like about Trump was his willingness to run with a conspiracy theory...POTUS should NEVER be apart of such things.  With that in mind I always looked at some of the "theories" about the true origin of COVID-19 with a jaundiced eye.  This past summer there were several "definitive" stories saying researchers looked at the genetic sequence of COVID-19 and determined it was not a manufactured virus.  With high confidence they stated it like came from humans interacting and eating bats and it finally made the big jump "naturally" in the Wuhan market.  I don't recall which publication it was but it was peer reviewed and shared by multiple experts...and I believed what they said.

Over the past few months more and more information has come out that puts the focus on the Wuhan Institute of Virology which just so happens to be located near the food market.  These are not conspiracy nutbags pushing an agenda...shockingly there is some real reporting go on as folks try to get through the wall of Chinese silence and censorship. 

Politco just published an EXCELLENT article (link below) with some very disturbing and damning facts.  The facts came from U.S. State Department personnel that saw things in 2017. 

In 2018, Diplomats Warned of Risky Coronavirus Experiments in a Wuhan Lab. No One Listened.

I highly encourage you to read then come to your own conclusion. For those with ADHD I am posting an excerpt with some of the most eye opening information.

"In late 2017, top health and science officials at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing attended a conference in the Chinese capital. There, they saw a presentation on a new study put out by a group of Chinese scientists, including several from the Wuhan lab, in conjunction with the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

Since the 2002 outbreak of SARS—the deadly disease caused by a coronavirus transmitted by bats in China—scientists around the world had been looking for ways to predict and limit future outbreaks of similar diseases. To aid the effort, the NIH had funded a number of projects that involved the WIV scientists, including much of the Wuhan lab’s work with bat coronaviruses. The new study was entitled “Discovery of a Rich Gene Pool of Bat SARS-Related Coronaviruses Provides New Insights into the Origin of SARS Coronavirus.”

These researchers, the American officials learned, had found a population of bats from caves in Yunnan province that gave them insight into how SARS coronaviruses originated and spread. The researchers boasted that they may have found the cave where the original SARS coronavirus originated. But all the U.S. diplomats cared about was that these scientists had discovered three new viruses that had a unique characteristic: they contained a "spike protein” that was particularly good at grabbing on to a specific receptor in human lung cells known as an ACE2 receptor. That means the viruses were potentially very dangerous for humans—and that these viruses were now in a lab with which they, the U.S. diplomats, were largely unfamiliar.

Knowing the significance of the Wuhan virologists’ discovery, and knowing that the WIV’s top-level biosafety laboratory (BSL-4) was relatively new, the U.S. Embassy health and science officials in Beijing decided to go to Wuhan and check it out. In total, the embassy sent three teams of experts in late 2017 and early 2018 to meet with the WIV scientists, among them Shi Zhengli, often referred to as the “bat woman” because of her extensive experience studying coronaviruses found in bats.

When they sat down with the scientists at the WIV, the American diplomats were shocked by what they heard. The Chinese researchers told them they didn’t have enough properly trained technicians to safely operate their BSL-4 lab. The Wuhan scientists were asking for more support to get the lab up to top standards.

The diplomats wrote two cables to Washington reporting on their visits to the Wuhan lab. More should be done to help the lab meet top safety standards, they said, and they urged Washington to get on it. They also warned that the WIV researchers had found new bat coronaviruses could easily infect human cells, and which used the same cellular route that had been used by the original SARS coronavirus."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, kaputt said:

The closer you get to your 20, the easier it gets to just go ahead and say those things.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaputt said:

OFFICIAL%20AF%20GUIDANCE%20ON%20ACCEPTAB
Of course!

He stopped me so fast, you would have thought I had a mask with a naked chick on the front or something. 

Link's broken.

Last guidance I saw was "conservative and professional".  Nothing about specific colors.

Edited by pawnman

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Link's broken.

Last guidance I saw was "conservative and professional".  Nothing about specific colors.

Interesting. I can see it on my phone but not my computer. Can’t seem to fix it either. 

Honestly, who knows what the actual guidance really is. So many different things out there. Ridiculous regardless that you would stop someone for wearing a light purple, medical grade, surgical mask. Imagine having so little to worry about in your normal job that is what became your focus. 

• Upvote 1

The closer you get to your 20, the easier it gets to just go ahead and say those things.

There are few things more damaging to the self image of the fiefdom D-bags out there than somebody with nothing left to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

So I got the Modern Vaccine yesterday through the VA...it beat me up.

First let me say I was actually impressed with the VA.  Retired 4.5 years and I've never used the VA for anything.  A buddy likes them and told me he was able to schedule his vaccine in short order.  The phone system was a bit wonky with multiple numbers published on the WWW, but once I got through they verified my name, DOB, and SSN.  Then she said "can you come in tomorrow?"

I arrived at the hospital yesterday a little before my and they greeted me at the door to screen me and put me in a the vaccine line to check in.  That took less than two minutes and I was asked to wait in the lobby until they called my name.  About five minutes later they called a group of us and put us in a line (I asked if they were calling me back to active duty).  I got my shot and was asked to sit in a chair for 15 minutes to see if I had a bad reaction.  They automatically scheduled my second shot but I will be out of town and I asked about changing it...they did it in about 30 seconds.  EVERYONE I met in the process had a smile on their face and seemed to genuinely care...i am blown away and hopeful others get the same treatment.

On the vaccine side...I got it at 1130, my arm was a little sore by 1430, and a lot sore by 1930.  Went to bed old man early and woke up at 0130 absolutely freezing and my arm hurts like a MFer.  I took some Tylenol and the fever is gone...I'm tired and sore so will relax today.  Overall it was slightly worse than the Flu shot.  Good luck to all who decided to get it before they decide for you.

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

On the vaccine side...I got it at 1130, my arm was a little sore by 1430, and a lot sore by 1930.  Went to bed old man early and woke up at 0130 absolutely freezing and my arm hurts like a MFer.  I took some Tylenol and the fever is gone...I'm tired and sore so will relax today.  Overall it was slightly worse than the Flu shot.  Good luck to all who decided to get it before they decide for you.

Pretty much my experience with it. Arm soreness kicked in a few hours later, next day had the chills and body aches. Subsided 90% by the next day. Second shot pretty much the same thing. Body aches were a little more present the second day after, and my fever broke hard at night. Woke up drenched in sweat twice. But not bad overall. Mild inconvenience at best. 

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

So I got the Modern Vaccine yesterday through the VA...it beat me up.

First let me say I was actually impressed with the VA.  Retired 4.5 years and I've never used the VA for anything.  A buddy likes them and told me he was able to schedule his vaccine in short order.  The phone system was a bit wonky with multiple numbers published on the WWW, but once I got through they verified my name, DOB, and SSN.  Then she said "can you come in tomorrow?"

I arrived at the hospital yesterday a little before my and they greeted me at the door to screen me and put me in a the vaccine line to check in.  That took less than two minutes and I was asked to wait in the lobby until they called my name.  About five minutes later they called a group of us and put us in a line (I asked if they were calling me back to active duty).  I got my shot and was asked to sit in a chair for 15 minutes to see if I had a bad reaction.  They automatically scheduled my second shot but I will be out of town and I asked about changing it...they did it in about 30 seconds.  EVERYONE I met in the process had a smile on their face and seemed to genuinely care...i am blown away and hopeful others get the same treatment.

Do you think your reaction might have to do with your blood type? I remember you mentioning something about that when you got COVID and it was pretty bad for you.

59 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

Do you think your reaction might have to do with your blood type? I remember you mentioning something about that when you got COVID and it was pretty bad for you.

I am guessing that is the case.  I am A negative which some studies have shown to have a harder time with the virus.  I have no other comorbidites other than I could lose a few pounds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sua Sponte said:

I've also heard that if you already had covid, the first shot is usually the hard hitter, and for those who didn't have covid, the second shot is the hard hitter. But I'm only an engineer so I dont really know. 

I've also heard that if you already had covid, the first shot is usually the hard hitter, and for those who didn't have covid, the second shot is the hard hitter. But I'm only an engineer so I dont really know. 

Heard the same, had the same experience with shot 1 of Moderna as well (about 60 days after recovery from COVID).

Good for first day (thought I was lucky to have no reaction), but woke up the next day with a sore/swollen arm lasting through day 4, 101 fever and fatigue starting the afternoon of day 2 for about 24 hours. Tylenol helped, but still felt pretty beat down for a couple days, way more so than the flu vaccine.

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I am guessing that is the case.  I am A negative which some studies have shown to have a harder time with the virus.  I have no other comorbidites other than I could lose a few pounds.

I haven't received mine, but my parents, sister (who's had COVID), and brother (Active Duty) have. I think they all got the Moderna one. We're all O+ and none of them have reported anything other than a sore arm. Even when my sister got COVID she said she had a headache and was tired, but didn't have really any other symptoms.