COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

On 12/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, MyCS said:

I get to sit in on the briefs. The vaccine isn't the silver bullet. You can't factor in herd immunity until 80% of the populace receives the vaccine.

You have vaccines from Pfizer, Astrazenca, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson. How long is the effectiveness and duration? Nobody knows is what was said in the brief. 

I'll pass...

Aren’t you active duty? Like you have a choice of declining the vaccine or not 😂 

50 minutes ago, MyCS said:

But you think they are just going to let you take a vaccine and go fly where you may have an allergic reaction. Some people may have to be on quarters or DNIF after receiving the vaccine per a military doctor that oversees the administration of the vaccine.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=96258

I imagine they could follow the FAA rules.

1 hour ago, MyCS said:

The vaccine isn't mandatory at my base or for anyone in the military. It's been said a million times to everyone it's not mandatory. Hell, my buddy who is AF at Naples in Italy knows this information too and he's overseas.

I am at a base issuing the Pfizer vaccine. We will be testing Astrazenca next. Johnson & Johnson will be evaluated too, not sure when. We won't receive Moderna. Pfizer is being administered in phases at my base. Which means not everyone is going to receive it right away. Only emergency personnel are receiving it right now to include inpatient/ED/ER/Fire/SF..etc.

I'm telling you what the experts are telling me in the briefings. I sit in on the briefings that discuss all the vaccines. 

80% of the populace needs to be vaccinated before we can factor herd immunity. 

You can still pass the virus and must wear a mask even after vaccinated.

There is an PHEO who is a full bird and another FGO from PH I can call 24/7 with questions. I had to put together a surveillance and testing plan with them. 

As a flyer, they won't let me take allergy shots from my dermatologist. But you think they are just going to let you take a vaccine and go fly where you may have an allergic reaction. Some people may have to be on quarters or DNIF after receiving the vaccine per a military doctor that oversees the administration of the vaccine.

If I was being dishonest, how does a flyer know about all the manufacturers of the vaccine, testing, and herd immunity? I didn't look this stuff up because this is what was briefed. And we have a bunch of the base that will return from holiday leave where we are expecting the numbers to spike. The city is already above 100K cases.

It’s not mandatory...now. Will it be mandatory later? I mean, the DoD still vaccinates against smallpox, so you do the math. 

• Upvote 2

CS,

Go to the VARS site and read up on all the adverse reactions to all the vaccines you've ever taken, to include the yearly flu one.  Once your head spins from all the reported reactions, you might realize this one is no different.  If you've survived all the others, you will likely be fine. 

GFC, the crybaby mentality of people these days... grow a pair.  If Pelosi can push though it....

Out

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, MyCS said:

I promise you there will be Airmen who will refuse the vaccine if it ever becomes mandatory. 

Really? You think “this generation” is going to refuse to follow a vaccine order after following all the other orders they’ve received to this point? My guess is that the military will prioritize war fighters and overseas members first, so it will be a year or two for the nonners to have to worry about it. My hope is that we develop an annual COVID vaccine that we take with our flu shot each year. And in a year or two you’ll think about it as much as you think about your flu shot. That is, not a lot. 

Man it pisses me off when “my generation” shits on “that generation” and questions their commitment to their service and craft. Order them to do a thing and they’ll do it. Punish those who disobey and make accommodation for those who need accommodation. I’m not going to force some 7th Day Adventist to take a vaccine if it violates their religion. Want a religious exemption? Join the JW or 7DA. 

OK, I'll make it easy for everyone...

HOME COVID TEST

1. Open a can of beer, and try to smell it.

2. If you can smell the beer, drink it to see if you can taste it.

3. If you can smell and taste the beer, this confirms you don't have COVID!

I did this test 19 times last night, and all were negative!

Tonight I am going to do the test again, as I work up this morning with a pounding headache and feeling like I am coming down (STS) with something!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I was told that, as long as the vaccine was under emergency approval only, it will not be mandatory for federal employees. 

I was also told that if you kick and scream when you see the needle you might get two lollipops after instead of just the usual one lollipop. However, if you start yelling about the shot altering your DNA, the nurse will just get annoyed and you won't get any lollipops.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MyCS said:

The current vaccines out/being tested does not account for this specific mutation, but can be tweaked.

From what I've read the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines (the two that are approved in the US right now) should still be relatively effective against the new UK mutation. Both the OG virus and the UK mutation use the same spike protein to latch on to cells and those two vaccines use mRNA to instruct our immune systems to attack that protein rather than other potential ways to get at the virus. YMMV on the details, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

FWIW this is a good article on the expected side effects of the COVID vaccine. It was worth the time spent reading it.

https://www.vox.com/22158238/covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-explained

TL;DR: people should expect mild/moderate reactions to both vaccines although perhaps less so with the Pfizer one, not unlike many other vaccines.

True story, I got 5x vaccines all at once before a deployment and one of them was even non-standard one (Japanese encephalitis virus). I went back to work and about 30 minutes later felt like I got hit with a tranq dart like Will Ferrell in Old School. I drove home but felt absolutely crazy and slept straight from 2pm until 9am the next morning. And that's to be expected haha, it's a lot to ask your immune system to spin up against that much shit at once!

Get your vaccines people; they save lives and we can end this pandemic sooner rather than later.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Through some luck and timing I was offered and given the Pfizer COVID vaccine yesterday from my civilian job. So far the only side effect I've noticed is my arm being sore. Otherwise I feel fine. 

It's only 50ish% effective after one dose so I won't change any of my behaviors until a few weeks after my second dose. 

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, MyCS said:

Maybe I'm conflicting information between military and civilian sides. I thought our high risk populace was receiving the vaccine first? Like emergency personnel, underlying medical conditions, elderly, our parents, etc...

It was blind luck. I was helping administer vaccines for my hospital. We had two extra Pfizer doses and couldn't find any front line staff in the hospital that was able and willing to take it before the dose expired. Had we found two additional people I would have waited. 

I expected to receive it early (as my state's plan involves vaccinating all hospital staff in the first group) but not this early. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was blind luck. I was helping administer vaccines for my hospital. We had two extra Pfizer doses and couldn't find any front line staff in the hospital that was able and willing to take it before the dose expired. Had we found two additional people I would have waited. 
I expected to receive it early (as my state's plan involves vaccinating all hospital staff in the first group) but not this early. 

Yeah my wife works at a hospital and sometimes they get an extra dose out of a vial. Sometimes they get five doses, sometimes they get six. At the end of the day there may be no shows and/or a few extra doses and obviously it’s better to give it out than let it expire.

Those who administer the vaccine to the front liners also get it.

Got mine a week ago in NY. ARNG and ANG had secured a whole bunch of doses for local units. Huge turnout, was organized into a multi day affair...pretty much they said whoever wants the vaccine just let us know.

Day after shot sore arm and a little "icky" feeling kind of like when I get the flu shot but more mild. Next day onward, no side effects. Still waiting on my 5G signal.

Separately I have to say I'm impressed with the CDC webapp they gave us. It automatically prompts you to check in with any side effects - I feel like we should have this level of automation for a lot of medication (seems like a great way to get data in the digital age).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SPAWNmaster said:

Got mine a week ago in NY. ARNG and ANG had secured a whole bunch of doses for local units. Huge turnout, was organized into a multi day affair...pretty much they said whoever wants the vaccine just let us know.

Day after shot sore arm and a little "icky" feeling kind of like when I get the flu shot but more mild. Next day onward, no side effects. Still waiting on my 5G signal.

Separately I have to say I'm impressed with the CDC webapp they gave us. It automatically prompts you to check in with any side effects - I feel like we should have this level of automation for a lot of medication (seems like a great way to get data in the digital age).

Do you have to sync the app with the chip or does it do it automatically?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

Nope

I like having small businesses in my downtown. I do what I can to support them.

We have been eating outside, getting to go, and tipping generously because not everyone has the same pay stability that the military provides. I feel like we should help keep our local economies going. Except clovis, let that place burn. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Nope

I like having small businesses in my downtown. I do what I can to support them.

We ordered Christmas dinner from a local place to throw a little business their way with the side benefit of having more time since an entire day wasn’t thrown away with cooking. I’ve probably spent more on take out during the pandemic than in the previous 2-3 years combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slackline said:

We ordered Christmas dinner from a local place to throw a little business their way with the side benefit of having more time since an entire day wasn’t thrown away with cooking. I’ve probably spent more on take out during the pandemic than in the previous 2-3 years combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the same. We try and do takeout as often as we can & also tip generously. Looking forward to a time, hopefully sooner rather than later, when vaccines and other measures such as improved treatments allow our town/state/nation/world to go back to something approaching normal. I sincerely hope to see all of the proprietors of small businesses and restaurants back on their feet soon & will support them in any way I can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Count me as another who has ate out more since covid than I ever did before rona showed up.  Already had the rona, so not all that worried.  Hitting up all my local food stores to help keep them afloat through this mess.  A very popular small town bar/restaurant I frequent finally opened up in the summer and I was able to chat with the owner and his wife.  They were nearly in tears talking about how much the community showed their support.  People ordering way more food than they need, leaving big tips, or just an extra 20 here and there.  Good people all around.