COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

Well, turns out me and the girlfriend have/had the Kung Flu. 

I’m over it already, but she’s still sick (has more of the respiratory issues than I ever did).

It’s insane how different it impacts people. I’m sub-30, reasonably healthy and so is my gf. I was done in 3 days. She’s getting ready to hit a week, and she’s struggling.

The blood type stuff is BS by the way. According to that I should still be sick and she be the healthy one.

Well, turns out me and the girlfriend have/had the Kung Flu. 
I’m over it already, but she’s still sick (has more of the respiratory issues than I ever did).
It’s insane how different it impacts people. I’m sub-30, reasonably healthy and so is my gf. I was done in 3 days. She’s getting ready to hit a week, and she’s struggling.
The blood type stuff is BS by the way. According to that I should still be sick and she be the healthy one.

What state and how difficult was it to get tested? Glad you are doing alright. Hope the GF gets back on her feet soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My humble appreciation for those deployed and were supposed to come home soon.

Nothing is a bigger kick in the morale junk than to be extended at the last minute.  Sorry, dudes/dudettes.
The BUFF guys in Guam had already been extended three months before this newest order came down.

10 minutes ago, Breckey said:
13 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Nothing is a bigger kick in the morale junk than to be extended at the last minute.  Sorry, dudes/dudettes.

The BUFF guys in Guam had already been extended three months before this newest order came down.

My knowledge of 36-2110 is rusty but I’m hoping those dudes/dudettes got short tour credit for that.

might not help you when you are in an ops sq, but could prove useful down the road in your career

Our RCP deployers can't seem to get a straight answer.  They've been told everyting from indefinite hold, to a month delay and most recently, certain deployers may be going on time.  For some of them, on time is early April.  

3 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

Lots of folks making assumptions based on Ferguson's work. Here's what he says himself re: the original modeling and the updates based on the steps the UK has already taken.

BLUF: the model hasn't changed, the behavior of the country (UK) has changed and for the strongly positive. Strict social distancing and rapidly increasing ICU capacity were some of the measures Ferguson et al recommended, and those things so far are ongoing, which is good.

• Like 1

I wanted to choke a kid over here who said “this can’t get any worse” between this after losing the gym and having to go plates only in the chow hall.

About smacked him, pointed at the big Charleston tail sitting on the ramp and went “You see that! Those can stop F’ing coming.”

Morale is down no doubt, but this could get far far worse as far as making life suck over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

My mother just was diagnosed with it. She's 61 and for now isn't needing a respirator, those she said it hurts to breathe, but doable. She can't afford to go the ER. 

Sua, sorry to hear it. The pain isn’t good, but the big thing to watch for is increasing shortness of breath, as that could mean pneumonia is starting.

The doc here has had my girlfriend take a deep breath and exhale while counting down from 50. Eventually she’ll run out of air and stop counting. Do that once a day, and she’ll be able to keep a log of if it’s getting worse. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Eventually she’ll run out of air and stop counting. Do that once a day, and she’ll be able to keep a log of if it’s getting worse. 

phrasing-600x338.png

Going for levity, not making fun of your other's illness.  Hope she gets better soon.  :jd:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HU&W said:

Governed of Rhode Island has activated the guard to help the police with ‘hunting down’ New Yorkers and forcibly confining them in quarantine. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/rhode-island-police-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge

at some point we're gonna have to stand up for the constitution. "hunting down" gtfo. this is america.

You wanna pull those type of stunts? fine. Declare martial law. but us "accepting" some of these "public health measures" is tearing at the fabric of our liberites.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

at some point we're gonna have to stand up for the constitution. "hunting down" gtfo. this is america.

You wanna pull those type of stunts? fine. Declare martial law. but us "accepting" some of these "public health measures" is tearing at the fabric of our liberites.

There seems to be an increasing amount of these intrusions being rationalized by this virus situation. Lots of people trying to do the right thing, but there are also many using the crisis for power and money grabs.

What do you get when you cross a loss of liberty with a sudden loss of security and prosperity across an entire nation?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

If the National Guard or law enforcement knocks on your door, what compels you to answer? Nothing. If it’s important enough, they can get a warrant.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, torqued said:

There seems to be an increasing amount of these intrusions being rationalized by this virus situation. Lots of people trying to do the right thing, but there are also many using the crisis for power and money grabs.

What do you get when you cross a loss of liberty with a sudden loss of security and prosperity across an entire nation?

History tells us Reichstag fire. Safety > liberty.  What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by HU&W
  • Like 1

Even Texas, a state that allegedly prides itself on upholding civil liberties, has said they intend to make surprise visits to people who are known to have traveled from New York, just to make sure they are adhering to the rules. 

“Unannounced visits”
https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staff/media_and_communications/pr/2020/0327a

To me, some of the erosion of civil liberties during this crisis is alarming. We’re teetering on the edge of going past smart compromise to flatten the curve, to just straight fear. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kaputt said:

Even Texas, a state that allegedly prides itself on upholding civil liberties, has said they intend to make surprise visits to people who are known to have traveled from New York, just to make sure they are adhering to the rules. 
“Unannounced visits”
https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staff/media_and_communications/pr/2020/0327a

To me, some of the erosion of civil liberties during this crisis is alarming. We’re teetering on the edge of going past smart compromise to flatten the curve, to just straight fear. 

Shit, we've wanted to stop people traveling to here from NY, California and other liberal bastions for years!   The Kung Flu just gave us even more reason to do so...

And it isn't a violation of civil liberties for the police to investigate a person if there is probable cause or reasonable suspicion that they have committed a crime.

What's more alarming is the amount of hyperbole occurring...

4 hours ago, M2 said:

Shit, we've wanted to stop people traveling to here from NY, California and other liberal bastions for years!   The Kung Flu just gave us even more reason to do so...

And it isn't a violation of civil liberties for the police to investigate a person if there is probable cause or reasonable suspicion that they have committed a crime.

What's more alarming is the amount of hyperbole occurring...

If you knock on my randomly and ask me if I’m harboring anyone from NY, what’s your probable cause? The fact I answered the door isn’t probably cause. What if I don’t answer?

Edited by Sua Sponte

3 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

If you knock on my randomly and ask me if I’m harboring anyone from NY, what’s your probable cause? The fact I answered the door isn’t probably cause. What if I don’t answer?

Jeez, overreacted much?  Did Abbott say he was sending a DPS SWAT team after them?  No, all the order says is that random check-ups will occur.  Texas has ever right to ensure those New Yorkers (and other suspected contagious individuals) stay in place as the law requires.  

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-order-mandating-14-day-quarantine-for-travelers-arriving-from-new-york-tri-state-area-new-orleans2

Plus, inasmuch as New York feels it can meddle in Texas' business, for all we care they can stay the fuck there!

On 3/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, brickhistory said:

I think your math is inflated by several digits, but as I premised, what is the cut line?

Some, worst case in my opinion, 20,000-30,000 in the U.S., another 50,000 worldwide deaths or a literal stopped economy, both ours and Western Europe?  BTW, China is cranking its factories back up and Russia never stopped.

We are printing money by the non-metric sh1t ton-load and the stock market is still tanking.  Small businesses do not have the reserves to stand more than 1-2 weeks of not getting customers.  Even if we opened for business tomorrow, thousands of mom-and-pop's are gone.  They'll eventually be replaced assuming there's still an economy to make it worthwhile to try.

As I said, I don't have the answer(s).  More/gooder medical supplies/meds, yea!  Shutting everyone up behind closed doors?  Not so sure.

And I'm (using the royal "I," not me personally) losing my first, second, fourth, sixth, and seventh amendment rights because somebody said so.  Is that us?

I'm agin that.