COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

4 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

How severe was your case of Covid?

How severe are the cases that the doctor is seeing in vaccinated people?

if all of the people that got the vaccine and then got Covid or able to fight it off without ending up in the hospital I think that is a win for the vaccinated crowd.

Had a buddy's family get it.  Of age folks were vaccinated.  They were put on their asses for 2 days but back at it.   

5 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

How severe was your case of Covid?

How severe are the cases that the doctor is seeing in vaccinated people?

if all of the people that got the vaccine and then got Covid or able to fight it off without ending up in the hospital I think that is a win for the vaccinated crowd.

My case was 5 days of getting my ass kicked completely. After that it was fine. I’m a healthy person with no real health problems and a physique that I would describe as “godlike”. Medical science would probably describe me as balding mid-30’s dude that could lose 15 lbs. 

I don’t know about the other people, the antecdote just stood out to me.

I don’t really care to join in on either side of this but I do find it interesting the number of vaccinated folks getting sick. If I hadn’t been vaccinated, I guess I would’ve died since I was sick for so long. 

• Haha 3

This whole Covid situation is gonna be a treasure trove of data to help deal with the "next time"  All of the anecdotes like the above can be rolled into a conclusion about how to deal with another one..For example...Why waste vaccine supplies in states where refusal is grossly high?   Like the old time test flying..ya lose some but make a lot of progress...  It's mighty hard on the medics though...

It's fascinating to me that after a year and a half of this people are still bringing up anecdotal evidence in the face of the literal sea of data from around the globe on this virus and the vaccines. Maybe anecdotes carry more emotional weight which cause them to resonate with people more than hard data. I'm gradually coming to the depressing realization that a lot of people simply don't care about the data, don't understand it, or are so jaded by politics they think it's all manipulated. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Pooter said:

It's fascinating to me that after a year and a half of this people are still bringing up anecdotal evidence in the face of the literal sea of data from around the globe on this virus and the vaccines. Maybe anecdotes carry more emotional weight which cause them to resonate with people more than hard data. I'm gradually coming to the depressing realization that a lot of people simply don't care about the data, don't understand it, or are so jaded by politics they think it's all manipulated. 

Good point.  The “trust the data” position was undermined early in the pandemic.  The same scientists who I’d normally trust were telling me Trump political rallies were super spreader events but then signing letters saying BLM riots were ok.  Data indicates kids not statistically significant spreaders but we have to cancel schools when the teachers union edits the CDC talking points.  “This definitely developed naturally” turned into a total hoax as the scientists were discovered to be behind an attempt to hide the origin in a lab in China they were donating to.  These aren’t conspiracy theories, all of these events above happened.

When data originates from people caught lying, their additional data is suspect. This is why Fauci’s “noble lie” approach is so damaging.  We are the most advanced and scientifically minded society to have ever existed.  That we’re back to telling each other anecdotes is not a sign we’re idiots, but rather the scientists should have stayed in their lane of science. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Good point.  The “trust the data” position was undermined early in the pandemic.  The same scientists who I’d normally trust were telling me Trump political rallies were super spreader events but then signing letters saying BLM riots were ok.  Data indicates kids not statistically significant spreaders but we have to cancel schools when the teachers union edits the CDC talking points.  “This definitely developed naturally” turned into a total hoax as the scientists were discovered to be behind an attempt to hide the origin in a lab in China they were donating to.  These aren’t conspiracy theories, all of these events above happened.

When data originates from people caught lying, their additional data is suspect. This is why Fauci’s “noble lie” approach is so damaging.  We are the most advanced and scientifically minded society to have ever existed.  That we’re back to telling each other anecdotes is not a sign we’re idiots, but rather the scientists should have stayed in their lane of science. 

I agree with you that this has been mishandled and politicized from the start.

But also... the Democrats' shitty interpretation of the data shouldn't cause individuals to abandon data-based decision making in response.

There are good data on the efficacy and safety of these vaccines from all over the world and none of it has anything to do with the lab leak, what the teachers unions are up to, or what fauci says on a daily basis. An educated person should be able to distinguish between those two things and still make a solid data-based health decision. Don't trust the CDC? Perfect, because there's 100+ other countries whose health departments have reams of encouraging data on vaccines too. 

But instead, we have close to 50% of the country refusing the vaccine.  I don't think it's because they carefully considered all the data and made a finely calibrated personal health decision. It's because they're wrapped up in the covid narrative battle and they believe the Democrats/CDC/fauci are lying to them and trying to use covid to control them. Which, again is completely true. It just shouldn't be a factor in an individual personal health decision.

• Upvote 6

We’ve watched the exact same thing with regards to Law Enforcement and the use of force, but that doesn’t stop the garbage being spewed there either.

We are at our core a Mob of tribal brutes. Society is an thin veneer that only works as an anomaly to be sustained only when everything is comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Pooter said:

I agree with you that this has been mishandled and politicized from the start.

But also... the Democrats' shitty interpretation of the data shouldn't cause individuals to abandon data-based decision making in response.

There are good data on the efficacy and safety of these vaccines from all over the world and none of it has anything to do with the lab leak, what the teachers unions are up to, or what fauci says on a daily basis. An educated person should be able to distinguish between those two things and still make a solid data-based health decision. Don't trust the CDC? Perfect, because there's 100+ other countries whose health departments have reams of encouraging data on vaccines too. 

But instead, we have close to 50% of the country refusing the vaccine.  I don't think it's because they carefully considered all the data and made a finely calibrated personal health decision. It's because they're wrapped up in the covid narrative battle and they believe the Democrats/CDC/fauci are lying to them and trying to use covid to control them. Which, again is completely true. It just shouldn't be a factor in an individual personal health decision.

I mean again, I think the biggest hinge on refusal is liability. It's great that getting the vaccine when you have almost 0 risk of dieing is making a noble contribution to society, but when you get the vaccine and do have a side effect, who is going to give you anything more than a "thank you for your service," a hollow offering empty of any real value. These are anecdotal cases but when you are the center of the anecdote the statistics don't matter to you, and to society you don't matter. In the end your left with a lifetime of heart issues, hospitalizations or painful menstrual symptoms, medical bills and perhaps a lost career, and all you get is a "well that's a very rare chance of happening". 

Now, in all of these stimulus checks, if the government did something like for instance, set up a 50 billion dollar fund to research long term side effects of the COVID vaccines and compensate victims of the short term side effects, you may find more uptake. But right now noone wants anyone to take that risk except you, and for you, as a low risk person to die of COVID, that becomes an unnecessary risk. And what do we always say about unnecessary risk in the operational world? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FLEA said:

I mean again, I think the biggest hinge on refusal is liability. It's great that getting the vaccine when you have almost 0 risk of dieing is making a noble contribution to society, but when you get the vaccine and do have a side effect, who is going to give you anything more than a "thank you for your service," a hollow offering empty of any real value. These are anecdotal cases but when you are the center of the anecdote the statistics don't matter to you, and to society you don't matter. In the end your left with a lifetime of heart issues, hospitalizations or painful menstrual symptoms, medical bills and perhaps a lost career, and all you get is a "well that's a very rare chance of happening". 

Now, in all of these stimulus checks, if the government did something like for instance, set up a 50 billion dollar fund to research long term side effects of the COVID vaccines and compensate victims of the short term side effects, you may find more uptake. But right now noone wants anyone to take that risk except you, and for you, as a low risk person to die of COVID, that becomes an unnecessary risk. And what do we always say about unnecessary risk in the operational world? 

How much liability exists for flu, MMR, polio, and smallpox vaccines?

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, pawnman said:

How much liability exists for flu, MMR, polio, and smallpox vaccines?

Doesn't matter. We aren't talking about MMR, polio or small pox. We are talking about COVID. 

I mean, small pox is far more infectious that COVID and had a 30% mortality rate. I sure as hell more likely to take chances on a new small pox drug than I am COVID because the risk now seems a lot more necessary.

Point being none of your case examples or really relevant to the conversation. We have to evaluate each crises individually with their own nuances. A major nuance of COVID is the vast majority of people in society aren't at risk to lose anything more than a week of work from it. Now you have to convince them that getting a vaccine that likely won't do much for them is necessary for them. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pooter said:

I don't think it's because they carefully considered all the data and made a finely calibrated personal health decision. It's because they're wrapped up in the covid narrative battle and they believe the Democrats/CDC/fauci are lying to them and trying to use covid to control them.

Agreed there are people out there who make decisions based on conspiracy theories, biased social media information, don’t critically think, etc. But, it’s a gross overgeneralization to say no vaccine = you’re obviously incapable of making unemotional, data-driven decisions. My family and I are not getting it for now, and that decision has nothing to do with Fauci, Facebook, Bill Gates, microchips, etc. It is a 100% data-driven, unemotional, logical thought process that led us to this decision…because it’s right for us in our life situation. I’m not saying it is right for everyone, nor do I judge those who get the vaccine; I’m not them/know all the details of their life situation.  It’d be a hell of a lot better if more people took this approach towards their fellow countrymen (is there an X in that word now?) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brabus said:

Agreed there are people out there who make decisions based on conspiracy theories, biased social media information, don’t critically think, etc. But, it’s a gross overgeneralization to say no vaccine = you’re obviously incapable of making unemotional, data-driven decisions. My family and I are not getting it for now, and that decision has nothing to do with Fauci, Facebook, Bill Gates, microchips, etc. It is a 100% data-driven, unemotional, logical thought process that led us to this decision…because it’s right for us in our life situation. I’m not saying it is right for everyone, nor do I judge those who get the vaccine; I’m not them/know all the details of their life situation.  It’d be a hell of a lot better if more people took this approach towards their fellow countrymen (is there an X in that word now?) 

Of course you have the right to make whatever decision for you and your family that you want. And if you have considered the data and come to that decision I am happy for you, whatever you decided. I will say I would be interested to see what your thinking is since we are coming to different conclusions. 

My point was that when I hear people talking about fauci, or teachers unions, or the lab leak theory suppression in reference to a vaccine discussion, it becomes abundantly clear that those people are not basing their decision on data. They are basing it on political narrative.  And considering the highest vaccine acceptance states are all blue and the lowest are all red, it looks extremely closely tied to political ideology, not data.

You can't tell me everyone made individual risk assessments based on data and the numbers just happened to shake out this way. Take a look:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-population-vaccinated-march-15.html

My opinion (not stating as fact) is there are more people in certain regions who are more willing to think on things, dig into the information, are skeptical, etc. than others. To talk out of the other side of my mouth for a moment, I am surrounded by people who made a decision based on what a political figure told them to do on TV, without any question or thought…pure 100% faith in the idea that the politician would never steer them wrong and surely has their personal best interest in mind 100% of the time. Other people are not willing to do that, and will ask questions/expect a certain level of credible/backed up answers before accepting something. Not saying either is wrong/wright, but those are both the simplified versions of the COAs I’ve seen a lot of people execute. Skepticism and asking questions is not a bad thing, thought many like to try and paint them as such.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Pooter said:

They are basing it on political narrative.

Of 20/51 worst states (& DC), Trump won 17. The 3 he lost (Nevada, Arizona, & Georgia) had a combined margin of 2.9%. This is odd to me as the vaccines were developed mostly under his administration.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/president/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

Doesn't matter. We aren't talking about MMR, polio or small pox. We are talking about COVID. 

I mean, small pox is far more infectious that COVID and had a 30% mortality rate. I sure as hell more likely to take chances on a new small pox drug than I am COVID because the risk now seems a lot more necessary.

Point being none of your case examples or really relevant to the conversation. We have to evaluate each crises individually with their own nuances. A major nuance of COVID is the vast majority of people in society aren't at risk to lose anything more than a week of work from it. Now you have to convince them that getting a vaccine that likely won't do much for them is necessary for them. 

Ah. So it isn't about liability for vaccines. It's a convenient excuse.

What level of liability insurance would convince you to get the vaccine?

11 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Ah. So it isn't about liability for vaccines. It's a convenient excuse.

What level of liability insurance would convince you to get the vaccine?

Uh... No.... You just don't understand maths.

Look man, if you owned a 2007 Ford Fiesta would you expect a higher or lower insurance premium than a 2021 Chevrolet Corvette. This isn't that hard to figure out. 

35 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Uh... No.... You just don't understand maths.

Look man, if you owned a 2007 Ford Fiesta would you expect a higher or lower insurance premium than a 2021 Chevrolet Corvette. This isn't that hard to figure out. 

Ok... so what would you consider a reasonable "premium" for the covid vaccine? 

1 hour ago, brabus said:

My opinion (not stating as fact) is there are more people in certain regions who are more willing to think on things, dig into the information, are skeptical, etc. than others. To talk out of the other side of my mouth for a moment, I am surrounded by people who made a decision based on what a political figure told them to do on TV, without any question or thought…pure 100% faith in the idea that the politician would never steer them wrong and surely has their personal best interest in mind 100% of the time. Other people are not willing to do that, and will ask questions/expect a certain level of credible/backed up answers before accepting something. Not saying either is wrong/wright, but those are both the simplified versions of the COAs I’ve seen a lot of people execute. Skepticism and asking questions is not a bad thing, thought many like to try and paint them as such.

Completely agree. I'm sure the vast majority  of Democrats made the decision to get the shot with little to no knowledge or consideration of the underlying data. They're just doing the thing that's in vogue for their side as well.  I attribute the vaccination rate differences to two things:

1) people are driven by narratives and they want to join a team so they can hate on the other team

2) the average American has a terrifyingly poor grasp of math and statistics. 

Neither of these are a good basis for personal health decision making

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Day Man said:

Of 20/51 worst states (& DC), Trump won 17. The 3 he lost (Nevada, Arizona, & Georgia) had a combined margin of 2.9%. This is odd to me as the vaccines were developed mostly under his administration.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/president/

Yeah but people only understand what's 3 feet in front of their face. Biden is the president now. People are so narrative driven and stupid that I'm sure if trump won in 2020, the situation would be entirely reversed. Vaccination rates on the right would be through the roof and the left would be talking about how the process was rushed and we need to be careful putting all of our trust in these big for-profit pharmaceutical companies. 

Edited by Pooter
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Ok... so what would you consider a reasonable "premium" for the covid vaccine? 

It's going to be different for every individual based on their risk. The government would need to cover much higher liability for a 21yo female collegiate athlete than for an 82yo male retiree with liver disease. 

And it's going to be nuanced in every situation. Maybe I can live with a lack of smell for my life but I can't live with increased period symptoms each month. 

1 minute ago, Pooter said:

Yeah but people only understand what's 3 feet in front of their face. Biden is the president now. People are so narrative driven and stupid that I'm sure of trump won in 2020, the situation would be entirely reversed. Vaccination rates on the right would be through the roof and the left would be talking about how the process was rushed and we need to be careful putting all of our trust in these big for-profit pharmaceutical companies. 

Alright I keep seeing statements like this claiming that the left is all vax’d up and good to go while the right is just refusing.

A 30 second look at vaccine demographics shows that the young and minorities have much lower vax take rates across the country, and quite frankly it doesn’t take a political scientist to know which political leaning those demographics have. So unless I’m missing something based on demographics alone the argument that support of Biden or liberal policies correlates to getting a vaccine is flawed at best based on data alone.

Standing by for remediation 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FLEA said:

It's going to be different for every individual based on their risk. The government would need to cover much higher liability for a 21yo female collegiate athlete than for an 82yo male retiree with liver disease. 

And it's going to be nuanced in every situation. Maybe I can live with a lack of smell for my life but I can't live with increased period symptoms each month. 

So, there's no good answer for you, because you can always claim it's not enough for your risk category. Convenient. 

What's Boeing or Lockheed's liability when you have a catastrophic failure in the aircraft the Air Force pays you to fly?