COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

Anyone have any science on what the maximum time between doses is to get a decent result? I was offered the vaccine but will have to wait at least 10 weeks to get dose #2. Seems hokey to me. 
CDC says within 42 days/6 days of scheduled second dose (9-10 weeks from the first)

Beyond that, there isn't enough data right now to say one way or another, or how long immunity lasts if you only get one shot. But they also aren't recommending restarting the sequence right now if you're outside that window.

The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, if it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, the second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may be scheduled for administration up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose. There are currently limited data on efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered beyond this window. If the second dose is administered beyond these intervals, there is no need to restart the series.
[/Quote]
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

1 minute ago, BashiChuni said:

get a shot. take off mask. live life.

how is the media not showing all the seasonal covid infection charts? they're all over twitter...maybe because it goes against a narrative?! shocking...

I dont know what charts you're talking about but I live in Europe and weather you have the shot or not, life here is going to suck. Lockdown is extremely strict here, and has been for several months. The only reason I'm contemplating the shot is because they are starting to talk vaccine passports now and I could potentially be on board with that. But I would be concerned that you can only get the passport if dose is administered as prescribed. Ill just wait the 10 weeks and then I can get both doses as I'm supposed to. 

just follow the "political science"
Right now there's literally no science to say one way or the other; data is still being collected. It's the downside of an EUA vaccine against a new disease

There's a lot of medicine/health that relies on assumptions or educated guesses. There's also limited funding to do scientific research, and ethical human trials generally are expensive and take time, so many questions just don't get answered.

They briefed 6 last week for Pfizer. You took the words right out of my mouth. The vials are supposed to be shipped with a special syringe to ensure you can extract all 6 doses.
Sounds like some doses went to waste because people weren't able to extract all 6 doses. 
I know people are supposed to receive the second dose after 21-25 days. Due to supply constraints on my base, they were saying it might be 4-6 weeks for that second dose!
5 was the original doses per vial, but recently was upped to 6 like you said.

Pfizer vaccine is cut with saline before it's administered, so if there's a little less saline mixed in (nurse or tech is eyeballing the measurement on a syringe, and syringes vary as well), you may not be able to always get 6 doses with a standard syringe. Hence the need for a low dead space syringe to increase the odds of getting that 6th dose regularly.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/index.html

The low dead space syringes doesn't look like it ships with the vaccine-it's likely a separate supply chain item for clinics to purchase and manage.

The downside is now the FDA approved the label change to 6 doses per vial, Pfizer is reducing vials shipped per contract, since most everyone seems to have negotiated based on dose, not vial. So figuring out the special syringe becomes a problem for the clinics, and could reduce actual doses available by up to one 1/6. And Pfizer will be there to sell the makeup doses required. #profit
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/health/pfizer-vaccine.html
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jazzdude said:

Right now there's literally no science to say one way or the other; data is still being collected. It's the downside of an EUA vaccine against a new disease

There's a lot of medicine/health that relies on assumptions or educated guesses. There's also limited funding to do scientific research, and ethical human trials generally are expensive and take time, so many questions just don't get answered.

those "educated guesses" and "assumptions" have quite literally killed hundreds of THOUSANDS of small businesses, lives, fortunes, and futures. for what purpose? to save lives? sure.

hope it was all worth it..."time will tell, sooner or later...time will tell" (bonus points if you can name where that quote comes from...hint its a computer game)

Edited by BashiChuni

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

those "educated guesses" and "assumptions" have quite literally killed hundreds of THOUSANDS of small businesses, lives, fortunes, and futures. for what purpose? to save lives? sure.

hope it was all worth it..."time will tell, sooner or later...time will tell" (bonus points if you can name where that quote comes from...hint its a computer game)

Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

Great game!

• Upvote 2

It's not just with COVID, in general regarding health and medicine there is a lot we still just don't know, and there's not really an ethical way to accelerate that learning in human trials.

So yeah, it's just like anything else in life. You'll never have all the information, so you examine your facts, make assumptions to fill gaps in knowledge, create and weigh your COAs, and execute. Then reassess and readjust as facts and assumptions change. Bias for action, no plan survives first contact, etc. All the standard military operations planning applies.

Or if we do what you're suggesting, well, "if he dies, he dies."

No matter what, unfortunately people are going to suffer from the pandemic, whether it's directly due to catching COVID, losing family/friends, losing a job/getting hours cut, quitting your job because you're high risk for COVID and trying to protect yourself, your business case changing, etc. Each COA to mitigate COVID has consequences, and it just shifts the suffering to different groups.

But the pandemic will run its course until everyone left is either immune (likely through vaccinations) or had died off from COVID.

25 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

So yeah, it's just like anything else in life. You'll never have all the information, so you examine your facts, make assumptions to fill gaps in knowledge, create and weigh your COAs, and execute. Then reassess and readjust as facts and assumptions change. Bias for action, no plan survives first contact, etc. All the standard military operations planning applies.

Or if we do what you're suggesting, well, "if he dies, he dies."

no it's not like anything else in life. the government has told small businesses they WILL die. they are not essential and they WILL close. on top of that if they do not comply they will be fined and even jailed.

that's 100% un-American and i don't give a shit what kind of "crisis" is going on.

especially when there are examples of states who are not killing small businesses.

truly shocking

no it's not like anything else in life. the government has told small businesses they WILL die. they are not essential and they WILL close. on top of that if they do not comply they will be fined and even jailed.
that's 100% un-American and i don't give a shit what kind of "crisis" is going on.
especially when there are examples of states who are not killing small businesses.
truly shocking

I wrote that from the government's perspective in determining what response to take.

From a business perspective, yeah, I agree that it sucks if you're forced to close for pandemic response. Especially since we don't have a significant social safety net. But they still have to collect facts about the market, their customers, and society, make assumptions where gaps of information exist, and go do it. There's been a big shift in facts (government rules), so it's adapt our die.

If a restaurant pre-pandemic failed health inspections, they could be fined and/or closed. Is that un-American? You could argue that customers will just figure it out on their own, maybe some like the food, maybe some get sick. Shouldn't it be the business' choice on what health measures to take, and let the free market decide if they stay in business? Or should society set and enforce rules for public safety?

What about mandatory evacuations for major fires, hurricanes, earthquakes? Are those un-American because you are being compelled to leave against your will?

Each state is different. Different values, different situations, different realities of life. Don't like how your state is handling the response and it's shutting down your business? Move to a state friendlier to your interests and set up shop there.

One of the good things so far with pandemic response is that states have taken the lead on executing the plan they believed was best for them. I'm concerned the new administration is pushing (has pushed) towards a stronger federal response, which will ignore the realities and situations in local communities, and favor blanket approaches that may or may not be appropriate at a local level.

5 hours ago, MyCS said:

So you should be able to infringe upon others who want to be vaccinated? WTF is wrong in the US?

Too many Americans think everyone who doesn’t think/live exactly like them is hopelessly wrong and must be corrected through all means necessary. It’s a very dangerous slope we’ve all been slipping down for years. I support those people’s right to be anti-everything, just as I support the right to get vaccinated if you so choose. Neither side has the moral high ground, but they sure think they do.

The military/government receives special treatment. It was briefed to our 2 star that Pfizer will be sending us the syringes with vials . I can't speak for the other pharmaceutical companies. 

Looks like we were both partially right.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/22/pfizer-vaccine-doses-syringes/%3foutputType=amp
Biden administration and Pfizer agreed to pay for 6 doses per vial only if accompanied by the specialty syringe. However, that means every vaccine kit that's already shipped needs the special syringe from an outside vendor if we want to utilize that extra dose.

42 minutes ago, MyCS said:

I'm the note bitch for the wing king when the installation has these meetings. I dial in on my cell phone and put my second phone on transcript mode (Google app) that types out everything. Does a good job, even when people are muffled.

Work smarter, not harder.

15 hours ago, jazzdude said:

If a restaurant pre-pandemic failed health inspections, they could be fined and/or closed. Is that un-American?

Not even a close analogy. not even in the same ballpark.

we have sacrificed our freedoms for safety. a dangerous decision.

you and i will have to agree to disagree im afraid

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MyCS said:

Yes sir. Comes preinstalled on Google Pixel phones. The app is called "Recorder.”

I don't condone violence, but she has a punchable face:

A SoulCycle instructor got a vaccine for being an “educator.” Now she’s in trouble.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/22260964/soulcycle-stacey-griffith-vaccine-line-skipping

Now you're making me worry about getting one.  AFROTC instructors got into the group right after medical personnel... But I don't need someone posting my picture claiming I'm jumping the line because my MTF is three hours away.