COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

5 hours ago, Pooter said:

Jesus h Christ how many times does this need to be explained here.

Getting a vaccine isn't just about protecting yourself.

I'm glad you're in a low risk demographic. Hooray for you. Your risk is probably comparable to the flu or possibly even lower for certain age groups. But getting the vaccine isn't all about you. There are people out there who for one reason or another can't get vaccines. Maybe it's an access problem or maybe they have a medical condition that prevents it. When you get vaccinated you not only protect yourself but you also bring us one step closer to herd immunity.. protecting other people too. 

The fact that you're ignoring this part tells me you're either extremely selfish or being deliberately obtuse. 

then those people need to double triple mask and stay home, stay safe, its only until the vaccine is out, lock it down.

i do not need to mask up or keep my small business shut (if i had one)

Edit: to be clear i am 100% in favor of getting the vaccine i'm not anti-vax

Edited by BashiChuni

2 hours ago, jazzdude said:

One of the issues is that the more it spreads, the more chances it has to mutate. Those mutations might be insignificant, or it might make things worse (more severe symptoms, higher transmission, etc).

Those mutations also may make the vaccine less effective (may not stop you from getting sick, but may still help reduce severity of symptoms).

So at the individual level, you take risks based on what you're willing to accept, but your decisions can affect others, while others are taking risks that can impact you as well.

Plus COVID sucks, would not recommend. Had a "mild" case, pretty much felt wiped out for a couple weeks, and still slowly recovering to normal a few weeks later (primarily aerobic fitness, which has been slow to recover). Though it does feel good not to be winded while grocery shopping anymore after I had "recovered" and was testing negative. Pretty sure those retirees at the commissary were moving faster than me...

got it covid sucks. i really do get it guys. i'm not wanting to get it.

but risk reward here come on...if i were a small business owner i would be PISSED that i'm going BANKRUPT and losing EVERYTHING to this. beyond pissed.

everyone of you who advocate for keeping things locked down is living off a government paycheck every two weeks...easy for you to say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

but risk reward here come on...if i were a small business owner i would be PISSED that i'm going BANKRUPT and losing EVERYTHING to this. beyond pissed.

everyone of you who advocate for keeping things locked down is living off a government paycheck every two weeks...easy for you to say.

Exactly right.  I only hear advocacy for lockdowns from those who are financially protected from the impacts.  Additionally, I am unconvinced lockdowns are effective and unfortunately reasonable debate is impossible.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Wait ... what’s the overall mortality rate again?  What about for military aged folks?  Children?

Let me check, the mortality rate is, “fuck you.”

Two people in my family have already died and I live in the same house as someone who is 70+ and who hasn’t gotten the opportunity to get vaccinated yet.

This virus is deadly and I am counting down the days until all of my loved ones are protected so we don’t have to go to more funerals. Glad to hear you’re healthy and happy though; I sincerely hope you’re able to stay that way!

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

then those people need to double triple mask and stay home, stay safe, its only until the vaccine is out, lock it down.

i do not need to mask up or keep my small business shut (if i had one)

Edit: to be clear i am 100% in favor of getting the vaccine i'm not anti-vax

Copy. Extremely selfish.

Hate to break it to you but wearing a mask and getting a shot to hold a pandemic at bay are not violations of your personal rights.  They're basic acts of human decency that you can easily do to protect your fellow countrymen. But if caring about the welfare of other people isn't really your thing I'll appeal to the selfishness side: doing both of those things is the fastest way to get to go back to normal so your hypothetical business can flourish.  

Maybe the 'make America great again' crowd could take a page out of the greatest generation's book and realize that cooperating to protect your fellow Americans isn't the gubment trying to take your rights. It's just the decent thing to do.

and not sure why you keep bringing up lockdowns. I too think they're mostly retarded, but it's entirely unrelated to what we're talking about. Masking and vaccines have science, common sense, and history all backing them up. 

Edited by Pooter
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MyCS said:

I mostly see old people or the high risk lining up for the shots. You think college students or people who telework care? 

It's almost like the demographics lining up for the shot are precisely the demographics it's currently being offered to...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

I've had and I do NOT advocate shutting everything down.  I believe we can use mitigation to protect those most at risk and be prepared to help the not at risk groups when and if they get it.  Yes we have needlessly crushed many small businesses and we need a better strategy, but the strategy is not FU to the 1%.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Let me check, the mortality rate is, “fuck you.”

Two people in my family have already died and I live in the same house as someone who is 70+ and who hasn’t gotten the opportunity to get vaccinated yet.

This virus is deadly and I am counting down the days until all of my loved ones are protected so we don’t have to go to more funerals. Glad to hear you’re healthy and happy though; I sincerely hope you’re able to stay that way!

Truly sorry for your loss. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MyCS said:

Let the 2021 COVID Vaccine Hunger Games begin!

Who thought this was a great idea? "Philadelphia let 'college kids' distribute vaccines. The result was a 'disaster,' volunteers say"

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2021/jan/27/philadelphia-let-college-kids-distribute-vaccines-/

Holy fuck shit. The events in this article are terrible. 

Let the 2021 COVID Vaccine Hunger Games begin!
Who thought this was a great idea? "Philadelphia let 'college kids' distribute vaccines. The result was a 'disaster,' volunteers say"
https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2021/jan/27/philadelphia-let-college-kids-distribute-vaccines-/

Dude listed a fundraising event with a target of $50K, but he only raised $684 on his resume, and subbing in a high school film class. He sounds qualified, I don’t see the problem here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, slackline said:

Dude listed a fundraising event with a target of $50K, but he only raised $684 on his resume, and subbing in a high school film class. He sounds qualified, I don’t see the problem here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's most irritating is all of the politicians issuing him the blame. Who was the politician that entrusted these ass hats? Who's taking responsibility for that? 

• Like 1

Free market! We don't need government oversight! /s

Probably not a politician that (directly) entrusted it to that company. More likely is whatever office is managing the COVID response for bad risk management and (possibly) poor oversight, though they did terminate the contract within a day of concerns being raised. Hopefully their contracting official wrote a good contract (adequately defending government interests and defining breach penalties, though), though I'd bet not. Though we'll see how all that shakes out in court. The unfortunate thing is any leftover vaccine doses that company has are likely wasted (should the government trust that they maintained the vaccine appropriately with so much other signs pointing to general incompetence?)

That company rightfully owns at least half the blame for over promising if not out right lying. The city does own the other half for not managing risk appropriately in their contracting process and their decision to do business with them.

Sure, a politician might be ultimately blamed/have to own the responsibility, but there's still likely several layers of problems to fix.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, arg said:

Wow, is that bad *ss or what?!  As long as I don't have to look like any of the people who are modeling them on the website.

On a semi-related note, have you seen the shields some other countries are using (Japan for example)?  I guess we here in the USA just do what we're told, and hang something cotton on our ears.

How many days are we into the Biden 100-day mask challenge?  Doesn't matter, as we will likely be wearing these things for the rest of our lives.  I want one which is surgically (and permanently) implanted.  Wait, on second thought...

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

Wow, is that bad *ss or what?!  As long as I don't have to look like any of the people who are modeling them on the website.

On a semi-related note, have you seen the shields some other countries are using (Japan for example)?  I guess we here in the USA just do what we're told, and hang something cotton on our ears.

How many days are we into the Biden 100-day mask challenge?  Doesn't matter, as we will likely be wearing these things for the rest of our lives.  I want one which is surgically (and permanently) implanted.  Wait, on second thought...

In many countries in Europe you are required to wear a purchased, disposable, medical grade mask at the moment. In some parts, it must be an FFP2. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MyCS said:

Yo, is anyone wearing two masks that is being recommended now by Dr. Fauci? People should just stay home if you need 2 masks.

I have always worn an Under Armour mask and I swear it's double layered. Moot point to me.

No, because I’m not a cuck.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

No, because I’m not a cuck.

The two masks suggestion seems rather bizzarre. It's almost like "we have no idea what to do now so let's just make people do more of what they are already doing so they think we are doing something even though we aren't doing anything." 

• Haha 1

The two masks suggestion seems rather bizzarre. It's almost like "we have no idea what to do now so let's just make people do more of what they are already doing so they think we are doing something even though we aren't doing anything." 

We've had plenty of time to ramp up production on PPE. It has improved since the start of the pandemic (surgical style non medical masks and kn95 masks seem to be more available in stores). But for whatever reason, CDC is hanging onto cloth masks vs recommending a transition to the surgical style mask. N95 and similar respirator supplies probably still aren't there for mandating their use without creating a run on them when hospitals and clinic just caught up on supply.

Mask 1: filter layer, surgical style mask
Mask 2: cloth later, to help close gaps and improve the fit for the filter layer (around the sides)
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210126/double-masking-makes-common-sense-fauci-says
I don't think this is really anything too new, there's been a lot of attention last year on how to improve the fit of surgical style masks and close the leaking sides to improve filtration, and this seems to be what was settled on (there's 3d printed face pieces as well that pin a mask to your face to create a seal).
The cloth mask also has the advantage of being personalizable/fashionable. May sound stupid, but may help people feel better about wearing a mask if they can use it as an accessory to their outfit when they do to out.

Alternatively
Mask 1: N95 or similar, reuse until dirty/clogged
Mask 2: cloth or surgical style mask to keep the N95 as clean as possible (splash protection)

CDC on extending the life of N95 respirators for healthcare professionals. My wife's work has implemented the N95/surgical mask c ok mbo, plus face shield (working with blood and fluids with known COVID patients). That guidance for them has been around for several months now, since surgical grade N95 masks (which have splash protection) are in higher demand than regular N95s.

HCP can consider using a face shield or facemask over the respirator to reduce contamination of the respirator, especially during aerosol generating procedures or procedures that might generate splashes and sprays.
[/Quote]
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210126/double-masking-makes-common-sense-fauci-says
While you probably won't get sprayed with contaminated blood walking in public, rain is probably your biggest threat.

Double cloth masks is pretty stupid, unless your cloth masks are crappy to begin with.

Cloth masks should've been a stop gap to increase production on n95 or near equivalent respirators, or at least surgical masks. It seems to be better than nothing though.

Comparison of filtration efficiency of cloth mask with gold standard (N95 respirator) and surgical mask (small sized aerosols [0.08 and 0.22 µm])

N95 respirator >95%; Surgical masks - 55%; Multi-layered cloth mask - 38%; Handkerchiefs - 2% (single layer) to 13% (four layers)

Efficacy of cloth mask in combating viral infection transmission

Less efficacious
- half as efficacious as the N95 mask,
25% lesser than surgical mask
(N95 > surgical mask > cloth face mask)
Minimally protective in casual community contacts
Moderate protection in household contacts if both patient and other family wear masks
[/Quote]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7497125/
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MyCS said:

"A failed freezer forced an overnight dash to give out more than 1,600 doses of the coronavirus vaccine”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/30/seattle-coronavirus-vaccine-overnight/

I have to applaud this!

Other similar events where I live. 

I guess there are 10 doses per vial and once they start using a vial they must use by end of day?  The local Grocery store that is giving the vaccine has been going around the store just before closing asking if anyone regardless of what group they are in would like the vaccine so it doesn't go to waste.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

I guess there are 10 doses per vial and once they start using a vial they must use by end of day?  The local Grocery store that is giving the vaccine has been going around the store just before closing asking if anyone regardless of what group they are in would like the vaccine so it doesn't go to waste.

5-6 for Pfizer and 10 for Moderna. The timing is slightly different (somewhere between 6-10 hours) but you start a clock once the vial is taken out of the freezer to use before they expire. So I am happy that people are transitioning from "get the dose in the correct tiered arm" to "get the dose in an arm" when required. 

• Like 1