COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

The benefits of wearing a mask may be non-zero, but I think the jury is still out on the benefits of haphazardly wrapping a t-shirt around your head.

I look at it from the standpoint of sex:  pulling out isn't the best method of birth control.  However, it's better than not pulling out, especially when I can't get a condom.  Now find a way to make that work for masks.

You're welcome.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 4/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, 17D_guy said:

Any cloth covering. I'm sure the shoe clerks will decide coyote-brown is the only approved color. Cause they can make it more restrictive

Speak the Devil’s name...Ramstein is worried about the important things

CBEB3DFF-C224-431D-8B8C-4EAC2758AE35.jpeg

Edited by 08Dawg
Brevity

23 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

Speak the Devil’s name...Ramstein is worried about the important things

CBEB3DFF-C224-431D-8B8C-4EAC2758AE35.jpeg

40 days to terminal...can't catch me!  Also, our Shirt said in today's Sq sync that he wanted to throat punch whoever put that out.  Shirt's going to fit in fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, war007afa said:

I look at it from the standpoint of sex:  pulling out isn't the best method of birth control.  However, it's better than not pulling out, especially when I can't get a condom.  Now find a way to make that work for masks.

You're welcome.

The problem is if it makes you think you're safe(r), you're more likely to engage in hazardous activity. Plus, touch your face a ton fixing the mask. It's like people wearing gloves, it makes people feel safe and all but guarantees they aren't washing their hands.

8 hours ago, Stoker said:

The problem is if it makes you think you're safe(r), you're more likely to engage in hazardous activity. Plus, touch your face a ton fixing the mask. It's like people wearing gloves, it makes people feel safe and all but guarantees they aren't washing their hands.

Just speaking for myself and others I work with (yes, we’re still flying) we do pretty well wiping the flight deck down even after the cleaning crew has done their job. It guarantees nothing, just more prudent. (And no we don’t wear masks once we’re ready to go.) It’s not motorcycling, skateboarding, etc. It makes me more self aware and I don’t get closer, try to mingle or shake hands with anybody because of it. I guess it’s about self discipline and acclimating to a mask. Once my mask is on, it’s on and no fixing - others may fiddle with it uncomfortably I guess. My gloves are on during outings, thrown into the wash or latex thrown away once I get back home. Wash my hands/face and resume normal home activities. But I guess I must declare I cheat the “normal” tendencies since I wear a CPAP. Don’t fiddle with it at night and the N95 mask doesn’t bother during minor outings during the day which we should be adhering too. Bottom line, I am not subjecting my family to negligence on my part as best I can. It may prove futile, but there’s no harm in effort.

Look at Biden, coughing then touching his face immediately afterwards with the same hand. But that’s something else besides lack of discipline.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

9 hours ago, Stoker said:

The new rules are like the TSA, but for everyone’s health and without the excitement of advanced screening pat-downs. All mostly theater to make it seem like something is being done and to give some folks warm and fuzzies.

• Upvote 5

Well maybe your right. Using Taiwan, Singapore, Korea and Hong Kong as examples, they did extremely well comparatively to us and others. Hong Kong 7.5 million Population, under 1,000 cases, 4 deaths. Definitely having been thru SARS helped, borders are different, but I would give it to the local discipline/culture. We enjoy incredible freedoms beyond most which I cherish and I wouldn’t swap with China and have my doors welded shut that is for sure. This is an unfortunate learning experience. Definitely nothing compared to what the Greatest Generation endured, but baby steps hopefully not needed, ever. Just an opinion.

37 minutes ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Well maybe your right. Using Taiwan, Singapore, Korea and Hong Kong as examples, they did extremely well comparatively to us and others. Hong Kong 7.5 million Population, under 1,000 cases, 4 deaths. Definitely having been thru SARS helped, borders are different, but I would give it to the local discipline/culture. We enjoy incredible freedoms beyond most which I cherish and I wouldn’t swap with China and have my doors welded shut that is for sure. This is an unfortunate learning experience. Definitely nothing compared to what the Greatest Generation endured, but baby steps hopefully not needed, ever. Just an opinion.

Yeah, those countries' stay-at-home-orders were "stay at home, if you come out you're going to jail." Not our version where you go pick up some baking supplies, play some basketball at the community center, hit the gym, go touch some playground equipment, etc., etc. Ours will work at flattening the curve, but you're not gonna suppress the virus that way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Here in South TX because "dagnamit ain't no gubment gonna tell me" I now have to do the grocery shopping.  People will not maintain any distance or wear masks/facecovering.  In fact, they're even more prone to get close to you than before (if you're wearing a mask) to "prove how much they don't care."  Wife had to yell at some old dude crossing the floor lines to check out repeatedly and coughing.  All these fake ass cowboys, not one bandana to tie around their dumb ass grills.

On the news was a dude who "wouldn't ever take orders from no store help, he's a man" and posted about it all over Instagram.  (HEB is fantastic though, I now get the "close the commissary" comments we had a few years ago.)

City shut down the large gatherings...Governor opened back up the churches. 

Edited by 17D_guy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was at the Lackland commissary yesterday afternoon doing the family shopping.  Was amazed at how many old folks were there without masks and/or gloves.  Same for the younger generation (18-24).  I would guesstimate less than half were complying with the face covering requirement.  

Yeah, I felt a bit like an idiot wearing a Condor multi-wrap on my face and disposable gloves; but I don't need this shit.  I don't buy into the panic, but it's idiotic not to take at least basic precautions.  

Got stopped at the commissary door today because I didn’t have a face covering. By three people wearing face coverings and literally standing shoulder to shoulder.

I’m excited for tomorrow’s preventive measure of the day. Hopefully we can all self- radicalize to support whatever they say it is next. Remember to shame your neighbors over this previously unmentioned mitigation strategy.

Edited by JBueno
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Here in South TX because "dagnamit ain't no gubment gonna tell me" I now have to do the grocery shopping.  People will not maintain any distance or wear masks/facecovering.  In fact, they're even more prone to get close to you than before (if you're wearing a mask) to "prove how much they don't care."  Wife had to yell at some old dude crossing the floor lines to check out repeatedly and coughing.  All these fake ass cowboys, not one bandana to tie around their dumb ass grills.

This style mask should fix folks safe distance problems in most places they shop. TBD if it will work in South Texas?

Image may contain one or more people and closeup possible text that says SENYH Finally a mask that keeps people 6 away

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, Sua Sponte said:

A former C-130 driver I was stationed with at Little Rock, now with JetBlue, died today because of COVID. Fuck this thing.

I knew Kevin as well from college. Terrible news.

• Like 1