Airshows and COVID-19

HuggyU2

I'd like your opinions...

Will airshow attendance suffer due to the current COVID-19 situation?

Or will people tire of so many other "events" being cancelled that they may make extra effort to go to an airshow?  

The latter, I think there is a general discord between the public’s perception of this bullshit flu and the media/Corp/govt/whatever organization you can think of. The general public being on the side of “this isn’t a big deal.” So when the public get ahold of an event that actually isn’t cancelled they will jump on it like wildfire.

If every organization in the world didn’t overreact to the extreme already, life would still be normal and no one would’ve noticed or cared. I haven’t met a single person who is worried about catching it, but as a maintainer we take hydraulic fluid baths so take that how you may.

edit: people will riot if they cancel Airventure

Edited by jonlbs
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Based on the questions we're getting from HHQ, I wouldn't be surprised if the Air Force cancels air shows on military installations.

It's actually a DoD discussion too.  

Edited by HuggyU2

I think this whole thing will blow over around Memorial Day.  
People are going to want to travel, vacation, have fun over the summer and life will get back to some what of a norm.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

I think it will be mostly a thing of the past by the time airshow season really kicks off.  

I hope you're right.  

As a note:  the airshow season starts Friday, and the demo teams are traveling today.  

Edited by HuggyU2

18 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

I hope you're right.  

As a note:  the airshow season starts Friday, and the demo teams are traveling today.  

Me too!  Ya, I was thinking of going Sun N' Fun, wonder how much it will be impacted by all this CV stuff.   I see they have a document posted on their website addressing CV.  You going to end up out East at all?  

I might make a day of SnF, but too early to see. Staying on the west coast this year and cutting back on my airshow work. 

March ARB just cancelled their airshow in the last hour or so. But it was a local decision, not mandated from DoD. 

19 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

Semi-related, I saw where Lackland said no family or visitors will be allowed at basic training graduations for the time being. 

Confirmed.
87857081_1134222850303084_6188456808726659072_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=SCMP8K7cId4AX_qXAth&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=d5388df57b5c0c9fb5a644405917047d&oe=5E8E4D4C

6 hours ago, jonlbs said:

If every organization in the world didn’t overreact to the extreme already, life would still be normal and no one would’ve noticed or cared. I haven’t met a single person who is worried about catching it, but as a maintainer we take hydraulic fluid baths so take that how you may.

Of course they're not worried on March 11th. It hasn't had a chance to spread yet. But I bet it won't be "fake news" anymore when people start burying their relatives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Well... I suppose I posted a few hours too early.  Excellent speech by the President.  

When The Pentagon wakes up in about 6 hours, I'm guessing that military support of airshows is going to get cut for ~60 days.  

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Well... I suppose I posted a few hours too early.  Excellent speech by the President.  

When The Pentagon wakes up in about 6 hours, I'm guessing that military support of airshows is going to get cut for ~60 days.  

That was possibly the most consequential speech of Trump’s presidency.  It had to be perfect.  Too many clarifications had to be issued in the hours afterward on basic policy issues.  The underlying message was meant to instill confidence, but the inconsistencies created confusion.  He presented it well, but his staff didn’t do him any favors. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HU&W said:

That was possibly the most consequential speech of Trump’s presidency.  It had to be perfect.  Too many clarifications had to be issued in the hours afterward on basic policy issues.  The underlying message was meant to instill confidence, but the inconsistencies created confusion.  He presented it well, but his staff didn’t do him any favors. 

Dude you couldn't be more accurate. I don't think the JCS gave any warning to the COCOMS or lower and at the tactical levels commanders are freaking out as to what this means. People are being recalled from leave and confined to the local area around their base. TDY folks are being told to gear down at their base for am extended time. All future leave, tdy, PCSs cancelled and some people are already in TLA and have had their HHG shipped. So many lives upended by this. 

2 hours ago, RegularJoe said:

Is Shaw far enough away to avoid canceling? May 16-18

I’d expect an announcement will come tomorrow or Monday... but I would expect the Demo Teams to be stood down until the end of May. 

I flew to San Diego today to announce the Blue Angels’ season opener at El Centro.  I got off the plane... got a phone call telling me the show was cancelled... walked three gates to my right and was on the return flight to Sacramento 55 minutes later.  LA County, Yuma, Laughlin and McDill all cancelled about the same time. 

Looks like Navy Contracting is going to only pay me a fraction of my contract.  Even as a retiree, if you do business with the Govt, be ready to deal with the “I have no control over that” mentality. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1