Jump to content

Finally done in Afghanistan?


FourFans130

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, torqued said:

This should get interesting.

"On Tuesday, The Washington Post reported that Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) has gone rogue to travel to Taliban-controlled Afghanistan on a rescue mission, in the face of multiple warnings not to do so from the Pentagon and State Department — and that nobody knows where he is."

https://www.rawstory.com/markwayne-mullin-afghanistan/

And Biden is probably done. He knew, and he wanted people to lie about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9945031/Biden-told-Afghan-President-needed-change-perception-Talibans-rapid-advance.html

Interesting how?  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, if he gets rolled up trying some delusional one man Hollywood style "rescue mission" (without any military background whatsoever, according to the article) then I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't risk any of our guys' lives to get him back.  All decisions have consequences.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, dogfish78 said:

Yes and? The posters in this thread sling words and attack everything but the argument of what Lieutenant Colonel Scheller has said. The posters will get the same treatment right back at them. Give it some time, you'll see what Scheller, and millions of patriotic citizens have in store.

Why did you remove your response about the metaphor of Crown loyalists?

So you’re saying those of us who don’t agree with Scheller or don’t resign from the military will get a bullet to the head, like crown loyalists?

Edit to add: What exactly do they have in store?

Edited by JBueno
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Godspeed to all of you serving still and Thank You. What a crock of Crown Royal as many stations have already started spinning this into “a President who got us out of Afghanistan” while ignoring the HOW it was done and anyone who thinks otherwise knows better. As veterans of Bagram, Kabul, Kandahar, etc., we all knew well before the loss of lives that there would be losses and now it’s far from really over. Amazing that you never had to step foot in country to know this as well. Just that obvious. Be safe on whatever “assignment” you’re on as it’s apparent some higher echelons of leadership in various positions all the way to the top does not have your back aside from those right next to you. Watch your tails Cowboys.

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Sim said:

 

That was powerful and also very accurate. I've been working for weeks trying to get people who deserve to get out of Afghanistan, out of Afghanistan. There was absolutely no clear method for how a person gets onto HKIA other than winning the fricken lottery. Unless you had the number to someone who was in country, on the ground, and had access to the gate, your people were hosed no matter how great their case. Once we started sending planes back with empty seats, that was telling of how much the system had failed. Say nothing of the C-17 that departed the last day stocked full of supplies like paper towels and napkins, rather than human beings. I want to believe this is a success story guys. But you don't get to sink the titanic and then brag about how many life boats you have. There are THOUSANDS of vulnerable Afghans still in country who may be killed any day now. How in the world will anyone ever trust the USG again? 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Once we started sending planes back with empty seats, that was telling of how much the system had failed. Say nothing of the C-17 that departed the last day stocked full of supplies like paper towels and napkins, rather than human beings. I want to believe this is a success story guys. But you don't get to sink the titanic and then brag about how many life boats you have.

Damn...bless you, man. 

And I've heard that lifeboat comparison this week as well. 

Couple of the Marines at the gates described it as "playing God," some of the Brit paras said the experience was worse than tours in Helmand in some ways. Can't even imagine.

Edited by Lockjaw
Grammarz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chef16 said:

I can say with high confidence they're not going to fly again, let alone be moved from their current spot. 

I heard they're hiring Nav's......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all so unbelievable it's just beyond words.

Something very very weird is going on in Washington, and it's giving me the heebie jeebies.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DUNBAR said:

It's all so unbelievable it's just beyond words.

Something very very weird is going on in Washington, and it's giving me the heebie jeebies.

Weird how? When we freed the leader of the Taliban, then invited them to Camp David to discuss the transfer, you were expecting some other outcome? Without dumping tens of thousands back into Afghanistan, to augment the 2,500 we started the year with, I don't see that this was going to end any other way.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Waingro said:

Weird how? When we freed the leader of the Taliban, then invited them to Camp David to discuss the transfer, you were expecting some other outcome? Without dumping tens of thousands back into Afghanistan, to augment the 2,500 we started the year with, I don't see that this was going to end any other way.

I find it weird that we accept the fact that we're allegedly the world hyperpower, and the Taliban are the ones giving all the orders.

I find it weird that the withdrawal was planned in such an appallingly catastrophic fashion.

I find it weird that the administration was absolutely obsessed with meeting some meaningless deadline.

I find it weird that no one can seem to nail down how many Americans were in Afghanistan, how many were airlifted, and how many were truly left behind.

I find it weird that the Taliban allegedly offered us the opportunity to police and secure Kabul, and we said, "No thanks."

I find it weird that leaving any number of Americans behind is acceptable to this administration.

I find it weird that so little effort was made to disable or destroy the military hardware left behind.

I find it weird that we seemingly made so little effort to prioritize American evacuees ahead of Afghanis.

I find it weird that a presidential administration could survive this calamity.  

I find it weird that the administration claims they had no inkling the AFG government would collapse in this manner, but that is constantly being proven false.

I find it weird that the President told the press we are not leaving until every American who wants to leave is airlifted, and today...meh.  What can you do?  Americans are stranded overseas all the time.

I find it weird (no offense meant) that people like you think there is nothing weird about all of this.

Edited by DUNBAR
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Interesting how?  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, if he gets rolled up trying some delusional one man Hollywood style "rescue mission" (without any military background whatsoever, according to the article) then I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't risk any of our guys' lives to get him back.  All decisions have consequences.

I’ve never heard of this guy before, but those are some harsh words considering the number of private rescue missions currently being conducted. Just this morning, I responded to a request seeking current and qualified 737 pilot for some sort of rescue op. If called, I’ll be out the door before the call ends.

Personally, I kind of admire someone willing to take a risk to rescue fellow Americans who were abandoned, even if unsuccessful. I doubt counting on anyone else to come to his rescue was part of the calculus. 

Just a different opinion, man.

EDIT:?Dunbar  nailed it. What he said.

Edited by torqued
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, DUNBAR said:

I find it weird (no offense meant) that people like you think there is nothing weird about all of this.

Oh, I'm not arguing this was well executed. It's just that I'm more surprised that people are coming out of the woodwork to feign horror about this, when they were just fine with us freeing the leader of the Taliban and then inviting them to Camp David for cookies. We more or less agreed to hand the country over - poorly executed, yes, but where was the pearl clutching when we set this in motion well over a year ago?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GrndPndr said:

It will be interesting to see how fast we recognize these twelfth-century sycophants as a legitimate state.

That was already agreed upon with the last administration, and it looks as though that will be our foreign policy going forward as well. So, about that fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Waingro said:

That was already agreed upon with the last administration, and it looks as though that will be our foreign policy going forward as well. So, about that fast.

Strange how Biden claims he had to go forward with the “previous agreement” from the last administration…and yet at the same time has changed many other agreements/policies set by the last administration…it’s almost as if it’s all political, on both sides.  
 

But since Biden is in charge, Biden owns it since he could have went a number of different ways.  This is coming from someone who supported the pullout, just not the horrible execution.  
 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Waingro said:

Oh, I'm not arguing this was well executed. It's just that I'm more surprised that people are coming out of the woodwork to feign horror about this, when they were just fine with us freeing the leader of the Taliban and then inviting them to Camp David for cookies. We more or less agreed to hand the country over - poorly executed, yes, but where was the pearl clutching when we set this in motion well over a year ago?

Point taken.  I'm not trying to be adversarial; you are correct that this was always going to be a horrific band-aid to tear off.  But holy sh!t.  This did not have to be like this.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...