Finally done in Afghanistan?

FourFans

1994 Black Hawk shootdown incident - Wikipedia
My UPT roommate presided over the Tinker hearing and is the one that recommended court-martial for Capt Wang.
Very sick comment.

Star wearing officers granted specific immunity to the 15 flight lead, specifically so that he could testify against the guy who didn’t have a missile or the ability to launch one at a friendly aircraft. That’s a pretty glaringly visible attempt at protection of the favored sons at the cost of your red headed step child.

That incident exposed a whole list or problems across the entire theatre and joint ATO process well beyond the station in that AWACS. The theatre took no efforts to integrate the Army into the ATO, and knew for nearly 2 full years they were in that arena not squawking modes and codes for any number of reasons… I mean make a list… and we did… and fixed a lot of it quietly off scene

End of the day though you own that bullet. It’s right there with LtCol Hayles in the Apache or Papov running on the Brits. If the pilot that actually has ordnance on their aircraft goes into an engagement seeking to employ and looking specifically for reasons to allow themselves to do it, it will get around the failure prone mission control elements put in place to protect from fratricide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

Probably falls under the purview of Captain Obvious. Given the sh!tstorm going on right now and the sheer number of people flooding the gates it probably isn't all that practical but this emphasizes the importance of limiting the initial search of someone or vehicle to say two people. You always hope the other side decides that it's not worth expending his valuable ordnance (suicide bomber) on your target for a relatively small casualty count. Still has me scratching my head how they killed that many US Servicemembers with one SVEST if in indeed that's what it was.

11 minutes ago, ecugringo said:

"As you can well imagine, being an Air Force fighter pilot, it's my dream to watch that young child called Reach grow up and be a U.S. citizen and fly a United States Air Force fighter," the commander said. 

How do you know someone's a fighter pilot?  They'll tell you.  🤪

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nunya said:

How do you know someone's a fighter pilot?  They'll tell you.  🤪

Well it just wouldn't have sounded as cool if he had said, "As you can well imagine, being a member of the United States Armed Forces, it's my dream to watch that young child.....".

Edited by TheNewGazmo

18 minutes ago, ecugringo said:

Getting my morning news feeds I came across this.  Everyone probably knows a baby was born on one of the flights out of Kabul by now.  The family has now named the baby after the callsign of the jet.  Best wishes "Reach"!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/afghan-family-names-baby-girl-112933925.html

Good thing it wasn’t one of the MOOSE lines. That’d be a rough childhood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fire4effect said:

Probably falls under the purview of Captain Obvious. Given the sh!tstorm going on right now and the sheer number of people flooding the gates it probably isn't all that practical but this emphasizes the importance of limiting the initial search of someone or vehicle to say two people. You always hope the other side decides that it's not worth expending his valuable ordnance (suicide bomber) on your target for a relatively small casualty count. Still has me scratching my head how they killed that many US Servicemembers with one SVEST if in indeed that's what it was.

It must have been a huge SVEST.  In addition to 13 American Servicemen killed and 18 American Servicemen wounded there were 94 Afghans killed.

10 minutes ago, fire4effect said:

I thought you could tell when they can't land a "normal aircraft" in a crosswind.😁

Rudders are for strafing, BFM and as another speedbrake only! :thefinger:

Edited by SocialD
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

the idiots who left bagram need to be held accountable

In the process of drawing down we would have had to leave Bagram at some point. My question to you and the marine battalion commander is when should we have done that? When was the right time to leave Bagram?

Keep it until we got everyone out? The Afghan government asked us not to evacuate while they were still in power. The concern being that it would have been perceived as a loss of confidence and started a rush to the exits/collapse of the ANA even earlier. Fair or not I think that drove much of the rhetoric we heard up to this point about the Afghans being able to hold their own.

At this point, I'd imagine we'd be witnessing thousands of people on the roads leading to Bagram stuck in the traffic jam to get out, helicopters and convoys making trips to/from Kabul through Taliban checkpoints. I'm sure nothing could go wrong with that.