Finally done in Afghanistan?

FourFans

Classic scene that’s obviously farsical, but the part that I’ve come to understand more as I’ve gotten older is the line of “someday this war’s gonna end” and being dismayed by that. I haven’t gone overseas in a few years and I can’t believe that I miss it. Looking back on it, I really enjoyed my 3 Afghanistan trips and really felt like we accomplished some good things in the tactical sense. It’s all a ball wash in the grand scheme, but being there to help out some young Rangers or even just walking to mid rats at Dragon with the Bros was truly a great time. 

Queue up Dos Gringos “Back in the LPA” while I fill out these TPS reports.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

I could write a few pages on my feelings (disdain) toward our continued involvement in that place, but I'll keep it short and sweet.  My two trips were over a decade apart.  First one kinda felt like I was doing something, but even then, there was no clearly defined strategic objectives, just some nebulous bullshit.  At least I was helping the Americans on the ground.  The second time (late last year/early this year), was a complete waste of my time, money and hours on the jets.  Zero strategic goals, zero tactical goals, zero sense of accomplishment, zero feeling of what we were doing meant anything.  Two good things came out of that trip...we brought everyone home safely and it strengthened my resolve to get out.  

Who is going to be the first to pen a book called The Eagle went over the Mountain?  Maybe they'll update to the Graveyard of Empires.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

I could write a few pages on my feelings (disdain) toward our continued involvement in that place, but I'll keep it short and sweet.  My two trips were over a decade apart.  First one kinda felt like I was doing something, but even then, there was no clearly defined strategic objectives, just some nebulous bullshit.  At least I was helping the Americans on the ground.  The second time (late last year/early this year), was a complete waste of my time, money and hours on the jets.  Zero strategic goals, zero tactical goals, zero sense of accomplishment, zero feeling of what we were doing meant anything.  Two good things came out of that trip...we brought everyone home safely and it strengthened my resolve to get out.  

Who is going to be the first to pen a book called The Eagle went over the Mountain?  Maybe they'll update to the Graveyard of Empires.

now now careful now, no anti-imperialist coming-out party until you get that DD214 in hand buddy. tsk tsk 😄 

You know the scene from SuperBad about the dick drawings lunch box? Let's just say my wife has become quite the effective sockpuppet account for my foreign policy musings 😄.  It's no Greyzone level content just yet; I got myself about 2,007.5 points (not that I'm counting or anything...🙄) to go before I can tell you what I really think. 

Cheers!🍺

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SocialD said:

image.gif.c366635f33c3ebcedaabbe472e413df2.gif

My favorite memory from Bagram is the one where I was laying in bed after a 16-hour duty day and our 5th IDF alarm of the night went off and I thought "Fuck this, I'm going to the airlines".

I was at Bagram in 2011-2012 for my 13-month sentence to the MC-12 (a mess of a program that was mismanaged, with poor leadership, poor training, and a huge range of pilot abilities:  incredibly shitty, to some of the best tactical minds and pilots I've ever met).  

Do y'all remember the Afghan guy that served ice cream in the chow hall?  That guy looked like he had seen some violence, and the hatred in his eyes was intense.  I always thought he would find a way to grab someone's weapon and open fire.  I looked him in the eyes every time I left, if he was working. 

I've ram-dumped nearly all of the time I spent at Bagram.  It's like a hazy dream now.  What a mess.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

I was at Bagram in 2011-2012 for my 13-month sentence to the MC-12 (a mess of a program that was mismanaged, with poor leadership, poor training, and a huge range of pilot abilities:  incredibly shitty, to some of the best tactical minds and pilots I've ever met).  

Do y'all remember the Afghan guy that served ice cream in the chow hall?  That guy looked like he had seen some violence, and the hatred in his eyes was intense.  I always thought he would find a way to grab someone's weapon and open fire.  I looked him in the eyes every time I left, if he was working. 

I've ram-dumped nearly all of the time I spent at Bagram.  It's like a hazy dream now.  What a mess.  

You're talking about "the Muj" (short for Mujahedin) and he actually has a Facebook page. He's Air Force famous in the same way Songtan Sally is. 

• Haha 2

Start right at Dwyer, Bastion, Farrah, and Shindand. You’ll get everybody to the East with the fallout, and The first country in the path of prevailing winds kinda brought this on themselves over the last 30 years. Maybe it’ll give them pause to keep trying to provoke the Sub-Continent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I was at KAF from Feb 13 to Aug 13..I can attest to everything you said.  Unfortunately said shitty training cost us 4 lives, amongst many others. Like others have alluded to..for what? Good riddance, fuck that place. 

4 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Holy shit I do remember that guy! That stare down he gave as he handed you the ice cream was chilling. I always was expecting him to be some insider and start spraying the chow hall one day…every time I went in I always made sure to find out where he was

My favorite memory from Bagram is the one where I was laying in bed after a 16-hour duty day and our 5th IDF alarm of the night went off and I thought " this, I'm going to the airlines".

That happened to me at KAF all the time. However, I was flying helos in the Army back in those days… and I always thought “ this, I’m going back to sleep”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

That happened to me at KAF all the time. However, I was flying helos in the Army back in those days… and I always thought “ this, I’m going back to sleep”

KAF in the RLBs, sleeping during the day because you’re on Vampire shift. Winds have the traffic pattern oriented for East Takeoff/Landings…

A German Tornado does his 11 minute full afterburner run up and departure… you lay there through all of it having been woken up. You finally start to go back to sleep… then his god damned wingman starts…

Or the Harriers come in to fuel and leave…

The Earth can swallow that entire god forsaken country. Next time send Nukes. It would have been cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAF in the RLBs, sleeping during the day because you’re on Vampire shift. Winds have the traffic pattern oriented for East Takeoff/Landings…

A German Tornado does his 11 minute full afterburner run up and departure… you lay there through all of it having been woken up. You finally start to go back to sleep… then his god damned wingman starts…

Or the Harriers come in to fuel and leave…

The Earth can swallow that entire god forsaken country. Next time send Nukes. It would have been cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget back in those days when the “poo pond” was alive and well, if the winds blew from the west… the smell of crap would stick to everything.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

When I was at BAF they we were in the "hardened" shelters with the T-walls that were 2-3 stories tall. I was on the ground floor and thought that if any IDF came in vertical enough to hit the ground floor or collapse the whole thing, getting on the floor wouldn't help. 

image.jpeg.7781761c714ca069dc138f4c4e4be0fa.jpeg

• Upvote 1

When I was at BAF they we were in the "hardened" shelters with the T-walls that were 2-3 stories tall. I was on the ground floor and thought that if any IDF came in vertical enough to hit the ground floor or collapse the whole thing, getting on the floor wouldn't help. 
image.jpeg.7781761c714ca069dc138f4c4e4be0fa.jpeg

On camp Alpha during the attack in December 19….

The highest risk to personnel was the dumbasses running around with M9s in the headquarters building and Dorms shouting random challenges at anybody.

Meanwhile… the people qualified to have guns were out on the wall with belts of ammo gleefully dumping rounds into anything within 150 meters of the perimeter wall for an hour.

Scariest moment was the next day watching the Full Bird in charge of CJSOAC be walked around by some E-6 Security Force moron outlying how she planned to train HQ personnel to defend the facility. I truly enjoyed pointing out she had no clue wtf she was talking about with another W3 and then laughing about the dumb ideas being presented to the COL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, FLEA said:

You're talking about "the Muj" (short for Mujahedin) and he actually has a Facebook page. He's Air Force famous in the same way Songtan Sally is. 

Go with link. That guy was terrifying. Hope he's on the SiV list...

• Like 1

There was a one sentance remark on the radio news to the effect that “we will continue to provide air support’ in conjunction with Biden’s remarks on the pullout.

Is there any plan to continue to fly into Afghanistan after the August 11 deadline?

5 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

There was a one sentance remark on the radio news to the effect that “we will continue to provide air support’ in conjunction with Biden’s remarks on the pullout.

Is there any plan to continue to fly into Afghanistan after the August 11 deadline?

Absolutely..Died to BAF runs are still happening in the MAF.  Dude we are still going into Somalia every couple weeks even though “we pulled out” post Trump tweet.   The military industrial complex will never let us leave those shitholes. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, dream big said:

Absolutely..Died to BAF runs are still happening in the MAF.  Dude we are still going into Somalia every couple weeks even though “we pulled out” post Trump tweet.   The military industrial complex will never let us leave those shitholes. 

Those lobbyist/board of director jobs aren't just going to create themselves for retiring Generals!

7 hours ago, dream big said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-set-repeal-2002-iraq-war-authorization-n1271107

The repeal or even more legally defined/refined/limited AUMF would get the USA out in present capacity....I am awaiting the AUMF's repeal or heavy modification. The 'complex' will change if the AUMF is repealed. 

The present AUMF is the legal flexibility from which the 'complex' is thriving. 

Edited by Swizzle
Em-fa'sis

9 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-set-repeal-2002-iraq-war-authorization-n1271107

The repeal or even more legally defined/refined/limited AUMF would get the USA out in present capacity....I am awaiting the AUMF's repeal or heavy modification. The 'complex' will change if the AUMF is repealed. 

The present AUMF is the legal flexibility from which the 'complex' is thriving. 

Correct. The language used is so nebulous on the AUMF it freely gives the POTUS carte blanche to launch military operations world wide so long as there is a loose connection to anything Al Queda related. 

Regarding the Muj's Facebook, I took a look but can no longer find it. I wonder if he found out about it and had it appealed to take down.