UPT Date Swap

All,

I'm a new-hire at a Guard Fighter unit and have UPT dates for late June at Laughlin. However, personal extenuating circumstances are driving me towards Vance. My unit is aware of my situation and is willing to coordinate with anyone who has Vance dates and would like to swap. Please feel free to DM me if you are interested.

-Cheers

2 hours ago, Here4CAS said:

Yeah, I know it doesn't seem like a great trade for most folks. I'm just trying to get closer to some individuals in my support structure right now. I appreciate the help.

Hey bro I went to Laughlin. I actually liked there. The town is small but the locals are great. The lake is awesome and if you are single there is plenty of “Delritas”. Also great food! 

17 hours ago, Here4CAS said:

All,

I'm a new-hire at a Guard Fighter unit and have UPT dates for late June at Laughlin. However, personal extenuating circumstances are driving me towards Vance. My unit is aware of my situation and is willing to coordinate with anyone who has Vance dates and would like to swap. Please feel free to DM me if you are interested.

-Cheers

Might be showing my (or her) age here but is Cathy Rico still in charge of UPT orders?  Either way, if you haven't already done so, reach out and explain your situation to whomever hands out orders from NGB these days.  They may say no, but then again they may have something available for you.  In the grand scheme of things they don't really care when (within reason) or where you go, just that they plug you into a class date.  I received a call from Cathy's assistant one day who gave me the option of Columbus, Laughlin or Sheppard, with dates spread out over 4 months.  I took Sheppard because it was the first date available.  My info is dated circa 2005ish so take it FWIW.

16 hours ago, gear3green said:

So you are trying to switch Laughlin for Vance? Bro good luck that’s like offering a kia  for  a BMW. Good luck! Also jokes aside I’ll ask around and see if anyone is interested. 

I'd actually consider the trade to be 180 from your example.  Having been to both towns, I'd take Laughlin over Vance in a heartbeat.  Lake Amistad, New Braunfels, Austin, Hill country are all much better than...OKC.

Edited by SocialD

She's still running the show.  My assumption is his CC has already talked to Cathy about this and has her on the lookout for a swap, but maybe that's an invalid assumption.

That said for the OP, we only got one of our hires into UPT this FY; the guard is very slim on UPT slots.  So, make sure you don't unintentionally shoot yourself in the foot and get your FY20 slot taken and forced to wait until FY21 for a Vance spot.  Of course I don't know your particular situation, but I imagine you'd still prioritize UPT timing vs. location.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for the advice,

Cathy Rico is indeed the single point of contact for all things related to ANG rated officer training. We are attempting to work through the NGB at this point but it seems like things are pretty jammed up. Finding a one-for-one swap appears to be the most promising COA.

Coming from the active duty Marine Corps I am really not used to asking for quality of life considerations, so I am not doing the best job advocating for myself. I appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Here4CAS — I apologize for high jacking your thread, but I have a similar dilemma.

I currently have a seat in the May Columbus UPT class, however; family complications have occurred in the past month. I’d like to push my date back a couple months (late June-Aug) if possible. I’m not picky about my location as long as it falls in this window. If anyone is interested, please let me know! 

30 minutes ago, Bob Uecker said:

Ive got a 15 July class to Laughlin if you’re interested. PM me

Bob,

Thanks for the reply and offer! From your posting history, it appears your are an AD member. I believe I can only swap 1-for-1 with other ANG members.