2021 Active Duty Flying Training Board

In other news, why does the system of disseminating this type of information have to be so broken? Like I understand wanting to give supervisors the opportunity to inform applicants of results, but why do we need (in my case) 4 entities between AFPC and the unit CC/supervisor?

Edited by WannaBeAPilot442
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, takingamessage said:

Non-select. 

86 Pilot, 76 PCSM. #1 Wing candidate, Wg/CC LOR, Wg strat and MAJCOM awards. Whatever the magic sauce was, guess I left it out. 

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted! Go kick ass. 

@takingamessagehow did you find out? From following this thread sounds like you and I are in the same WG.

1 hour ago, AFZ06 said:

Well looks like I’m a non-select.

FWIW I’m a current E-3 FTU Nav 1,000+ hours, 96 pilot, 91 PCSM w/ppl #2 WG strat. 

AD can get bent. Time to start rushing Reserve/Guard units. 

Just so I’m getting some context you are already rated and (im assuming) only applied for Pilot correct? Those scores are stellar and I’m shocked you didn’t get picked with those scores. 

10 minutes ago, Bean said:

Just so I’m getting some context you are already rated and (im assuming) only applied for Pilot correct? Those scores are stellar and I’m shocked you didn’t get picked with those scores. 

Yeah I’m also shocked. 😂 Extremely frustrating & disheartening. I am currently an E-3 Navigator so that falls under the “CSO” field. So I only applied for pilot. Literally chose this position over F-15 WSO out of NAV school because I thought it would be the quickest route to pilot. 

Second time non-select last year my AFOQT scores were P-74 PCSM - 76.

Im willing to bet I was selected but not released by my functional.

23 minutes ago, barakiel011 said:

UPT Non-Select

KC-135 Evaluator Navigator, over 2000 hrs MDS flying, 25 hours Civilian, no PPL, Wing #1 select

PCSM: 74 Pilot: 92

This was my 4th board

If you don’t mind me asking did you get an ETP? I thought you we’re only allowed to try two times max?

UPT non-select as well...200+ hours w/PPL, 95 pilot/90 PCSM, but from an very undermanned career field. Been on the guard/reserve road for awhile now with quite a few interviews and no dice. Alot of guard/reserve squadrons don't like to hire current (non-rated) AD officers is mostly the feedback I have gotten. The quest to fly continues!

Edited by Av8

Upt non-select, URT IP/MQ-9 LRE Pilot, 96 pilot 91 pcsm, ppl w/85hrs. Have a feeling it was due to manning my in career field. Congrats to all who got selected. 

On a different note, those who got RPA feel free to hit me up about bases, aircraft, training, liestyle, whatever. Especially since I'm pretty sure you'll put in your dream sheet and get your assignments prior to getting to me at randolph. 

16 hours ago, Bean said:

I thought you we’re only allowed to try two times max?

Just curious - is that something new?  Are you only allowed to apply twice?

I believe it used to be you could apply as many times as you wanted until you reached the max age or max total commissioned service time?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Blue said:

Just curious - is that something new?  Are you only allowed to apply twice?

I believe it used to be you could apply as many times as you wanted until you reached the max age or max total commissioned service time?

I believe you are correct, I think @Bean may be referring to the fact that you can only apply once more if you declined something previously (i.e. wanted pilot but got CSO and declined CSO). Technically, I think you can apply as much as you want if you aren't selected for anything. However, it does raise an interesting point that it may be better to be selected for nothing than selected for something you don't want if you have a certain goal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Av8 said:

I believe you are correct, I think @Bean may be referring to the fact that you can only apply once more if you declined something previously (i.e. wanted pilot but got CSO and declined CSO). Technically, I think you can apply as much as you want if you aren't selected for anything. However, it does raise an interesting point that it may be better to be selected for nothing than selected for something you don't want if you have a certain goal.

Sorry for the confusion but yes this situation is what I was referring to in my initial question.

On another note, for all those non-selects, are you all in rated career fields already? I’m speculating right now but it looks like the rated functionals are denying people releases when they could have been picked up for pilot with their high scores, total amount of flight time and PPLs. I’d be livid if I spent all my time/money into flying only to have a functional deny my release after the board met. 

If my logic is flawed please let me know!

16 minutes ago, Bean said:

Sorry for the confusion but yes this situation is what I was referring to in my initial question.

On another note, for all those non-selects, are you all in rated career fields already? I’m speculating right now but it looks like the rated functionals are denying people releases when they could have been picked up for pilot with their high scores, total amount of flight time and PPLs. I’d be livid if I spent all my time/money into flying only to have a functional deny my release after the board met. 

If my logic is flawed please let me know!

I’m in a rated field and a non-select I thought that would be the case for me but nope. I emailed Chris this morning and I was simply not selected. Just outside the cut he said. 

Which is mind boggling judging by the amount of non-rated people chosen. It just doesn’t make sense they’d take someone with 0 airmanship and military flight time over someone that’s already proven & capable. I just don’t get it. 

My stats are E-3 FTU I-Nav, 1K+ hours, 96P/91PCSM, PPL, 3 deployments and they chose a non rate over me. 🥴

Edited by AFZ06
  • Confused 1