2021 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Out of total curiosity, not that it may matter much at this point - has anyone ever seen a breakdown of how packages are graded? Basically, is it your absolute PCSM that matters, or certain ranges? How is PCSM weighed compared to the rest of your package such as the personal letter, letter of rec, wg recommendation # / # etc. 

@takingamessageThere is a PowerPoint on the Rated page however it is pretty superficial regarding the board process. Overall, the board is made up of a Sq/CC from each rated job along with the board chairman. They are briefed on how to grade the packages--essentially they take into account all details to produce a number from 6-10 which can be broken into a tenth  EX. Lt. Col A rated Package A 9.2)

Most boards across the force are run like this. There are likely categories like Rated ability, work experience/leadership and adaptability etc. The BL is each rates the package and applies a score. If there is a dispute of a score over 1.5 between board members on a package, they debate and compromise. The graded packages are then taken by AFPC and they begin allocating accessions chronologically starting with the highest rated package until no jobs are left--this is the cut line. There is a lot of outside stuff like ETPs, waivers to consider, etc but this is the general process. 

Also--with this board they could separate applicants by which job they have as number 1.. I really don't know

Disclaimer--I know this through understanding the OTS process and having talked with a member that aided the board process before. I have no idea if there are any specific weighted categories like PCSM and AFOQT.

1 minute ago, URTHopeful2021 said:

@takingamessageThere is a PowerPoint on the Rated page however it is pretty superficial regarding the board process. Overall, the board is made up of a Sq/CC from each rated job along with the board chairman. They are briefed on how to grade the packages--essentially they take into account all details to produce a number from 6-10 which can be broken into a tenth  EX. Lt. Col A rated Package A 9.2)

Most boards across the force are run like this. There are likely categories like Rated ability, work experience/leadership and adaptability etc. The BL is each rates the package and applies a score. If there is a dispute of a score over 1.5 between board members on a package, they debate and compromise. The graded packages are then taken by AFPC and they begin allocating accessions chronologically starting with the highest rated package until no jobs are left--this is the cut line. There is a lot of outside stuff like ETPs, waivers to consider, etc but this is the general process. 

Also--with this board they could separate applicants by which job they have as number 1.. I really don't know

Disclaimer--I know this through understanding the OTS process and having talked with a member that aided the board process before. I have no idea if there are any specific weighted categories like PCSM and AFOQT.

As far as the weighting of importance goes, what I have heard from the rumor mill is that PCSM, PPL, and Hours are the majority of the consideration. The remainder of the AF215 then is next in importance. The recommendation letter comes after that, then the personal letter is used when it comes to really close tie breakers. In boards like these the members usually have around 2 minutes per package so it's not like they're reading everything, so that's why the actual rated info and the remainder of the AF215 are the most important.

• Like 2

I'll add to the discussion while we wait...Does anyone know if your orders are a TDY for the whole UFT? Or is it just TDY for the MFS, SERE, etc before the training and then a PCS to your training base (Columbus, Vance, Laughlin, Sheppard) afterwards? If anyone is wondering, this is the comment I am referring to, from Mr Hornburg:

"For those selected off the UFT board, they will remain attached to their current base and PCS once they finish training."

I guess my question is, what is "training"? I was always under the impression you PCSd to your training base for UFT.

My data is a little aged but I'm a rated guy. We were PCS'd to the training base and then did MEPS, IFT, SERE (after undergrad) etc tdy from there. Coming into this one, I'd expect to do any pre-UFT action tdy from where you currently are and then PCS to your UFT base.  Except the RPA bros of course... They're a bit hosed with the all TDY, all the time plan. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Weav said:

My data is a little aged but I'm a rated guy. We were PCS'd to the training base and then did MEPS, IFT, SERE (after undergrad) etc tdy from there. Coming into this one, I'd expect to do any pre-UFT action tdy from where you currently are and then PCS to your UFT base.  Except the RPA bros of course... They're a bit hosed with the all TDY, all the time plan. 

That's what I'm expecting as well, although the comment on the board page makes it seem like UFT is all TDY. Looking at the previous UFT forums it looks like we will be waiting awhile until RNLT dates anyway. Cheers and best of luck!

57 minutes ago, Av8 said:

That's what I'm expecting as well, although the comment on the board page makes it seem like UFT is all TDY. Looking at the previous UFT forums it looks like we will be waiting awhile until RNLT dates anyway. Cheers and best of luck!

I can at least say UPT is not a TDY, it's a PCS.

Source: was a UPT stud already but left for medical. Trying for the lucky two-fer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Av8 said:

What I have heard from the past is that IFT is a TDY, then you return to the base you are currently at. Most of the new accessions are on casual status for the first couple of months at the UPT bases. So, rather than have a bunch of seasoned officers on casual as well, the Air Force leaves you at your current base in your current job until you're much closer to the UPT start date. So I'd expect IFT TDY, return to current location and work for a few months, PCS to UPT base and start UPT. 

2 hours ago, WannaBeAPilot442 said:

What I have heard from the past is that IFT is a TDY, then you return to the base you are currently at. Most of the new accessions are on casual status for the first couple of months at the UPT bases. So, rather than have a bunch of seasoned officers on casual as well, the Air Force leaves you at your current base in your current job until you're much closer to the UPT start date. So I'd expect IFT TDY, return to current location and work for a few months, PCS to UPT base and start UPT. 

This is 100% accurate to my understanding and knowledge with buddies at UPT currently as well.

1 minute ago, AW91 said:

Here's the latest

Barring any catastrophes we should see the CC release on Monday and an official release on the 15th!

Happy Friday folks

No offense to all... But I like this one better hahaha. @AW91, what's the sauce bro?

• Like 1

Here's what I'll do: instead of verifying @AW91 and waiting until I see proof, I'll let the anxiety ruin my weekend. Then on Monday if the results don't come out, I'll just say to myself that of course they didn't and I wasn't worried about them coming out on Monday in the first place of course. 

Edited by takingamessage
  • Haha 2

Dudes/Dudetes--Because I am deployed in a joint environment away from my command and on an opposite sleeping schedule of CONUS, there is a good chance I may be waiting a bit to find out about results even if they come out tomorrow. That being said, it would be awesome if anyone could DM me if the list is indeed out tomorrow so I can try to start working the telephone game on my end to get the news. Appreciate it up front. Fingers crossed for good news to us all!

• Upvote 2

On 2/7/2021 at 8:16 AM, URTHopeful2021 said:

Dudes/Dudetes--Because I am deployed in a joint environment away from my command and on an opposite sleeping schedule of CONUS, there is a good chance I may be waiting a bit to find out about results even if they come out tomorrow. That being said, it would be awesome if anyone could DM me if the list is indeed out tomorrow so I can try to start working the telephone game on my end to get the news. Appreciate it up front. Fingers crossed for good news to us all!

From my understanding the CCs don’t get the entire list. They just get notified of who was selected within their chain.