2021 Active Duty Flying Training Board

11 hours ago, URTHopeful2021 said:

Has anyone heard rumors that IFT is back on for the RPA pipeline? Apparently it was off due to COVID and RUMINT was that they may canx it permanently. 

It is back, they got a good laugh at the studs going through pipeline that had no flying experience and no IFT.

Its anyone’s guess as to what the future of the Air Force will look like and future budget allocations or force shaping.

Edited by theoriginalturk
  • Like 1

Yea that had to be rough. Zero airmanship going into instruments. I have zero hours so I'm happy to hear it is back. Fingers crossed I actually get to partake. 

One aspect that does suck about all of this is the family situation. I have two kiddos and apparently most of the pipeline is TDY. I am considering having the fam follow me to Randolph if it is worth it. I'm deployed now so not looking forward to more time apart. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the opposite, that there will be less slots available this year.  Even the PSDM states "Please note: due to the effects of COVID-10 on the flying training pipeline, certain categories may have limited opportunities when compared to previous boards".  I'm hoping that's not the case though.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:06 PM, robby8388 said:

I've heard the opposite, that there will be less slots available this year.  Even the PSDM states "Please note: due to the effects of COVID-10 on the flying training pipeline, certain categories may have limited opportunities when compared to previous boards".  I'm hoping that's not the case though.

I got an update through the grapevines so take it with a grain of salt.  They were slated for 75 Pilot slots last year, but decreased the slots to only 60 this year.  However, filling these slots is another story.  Supposedly, there is a chance that the selection for pilots can be low in the 5-10 slots range due to this stupid pandemic.  I am assuming this is due to the training pipeline getting clogged.  If this happens, supposedly, there is a contingency plan to allow people to pull their applications back or not have this year count as an attempt so people can decline to apply again.  All rumorville.  

This royally sucks.  My brother and I both got our PPLs to apply this year... Of course we had to have a damn pandemic in the process. 

Damn that would suck a lot. What is the source? I think it may be worth asking AFPC up front. The governing office seems pretty transparent. I am only applying for RPA so curious if it would be across the board. I have an older email I can look at to get the verbatim response but I believe they estimated more RPA than usual 

Received some information from the UFT governing office:

Pilot slots slightly lower than previous years but not affected nearly as badly as they thought it would be.

Looking to add more slots to URT, UCT and ABM so they still haven't ironed out the list.

Conducting career releases now and looking at mid Feb release tentatively.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Weav said:

Wow that's some early gouge... Who was he notified by if you happen to know?

His CC...he had PCS orders and once they were cancelled his CC notified him today. So that could be the reason why. 

However, I heard rumors of results being sent out this week through a good source. 

The nerves are acting up now. 🤣

Edited by AFZ06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks man, appreciate the Intel.  Wife just delivered kiddo #2 today and a short-notice deployment next month so I wouldn't mind being on the notification and cancellation train.  Feel ya on the nerves, continuing to hold as published...

Edited by Weav
Nerves

Looks like we may be within the 7 day window from the PSDM release if commanders are getting notified, "Commanders will receive advance notification 7 days prior to the official PSDM release on myPers." Best of luck!

AFZ06--Wow that is awesome. Any way you can elaborate on the source? I'm wondering if his CC found out he was selected due to the PCS cycle and he is an outlier in terms of getting notified this early. Just seems strange as the AFPC office hasn't even briefed the APFC commander from what I have seen and he/she has to sign off before official release.

5 hours ago, URTHopeful2021 said:

AFZ06--Wow that is awesome. Any way you can elaborate on the source? I'm wondering if his CC found out he was selected due to the PCS cycle and he is an outlier in terms of getting notified this early. Just seems strange as the AFPC office hasn't even briefed the APFC commander from what I have seen and he/she has to sign off before official release.

This may have been a special case being that his orders got cancelled his commander is required to tell him why. However, if he knows then my thought is there has to be some form of results out there. 

I poked around a lot today and didn’t get any info. 

• Thanks 1

I asked someone at AFPC and they told me that they have to brief the AFPC/CC at the end of January for his final blessing before any official results are published to either commanders or publicly. Mid February is still the best he could give me in terms of results. This individual also mentioned that due to the delays at UPT the original quota of 75 PIlots for 2021 was severely chopped, but he didn't want to give out numbers due to things being able to change for the better or for the worst at any moment before release.

That is the most recent information I've gathered from a reliable source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, AW091 said:

I asked someone at AFPC and they told me that they have to brief the AFPC/CC at the end of January for his final blessing before any official results are published to either commanders or publicly. Mid February is still the best he could give me in terms of results. This individual also mentioned that due to the delays at UPT the original quota of 75 PIlots for 2021 was severely chopped, but he didn't want to give out numbers due to things being able to change for the better or for the worst at any moment before release.

That is the most recent information I've gathered from a reliable source.

Assuming all of this is true, what would be the logic for slashing pilot slots due to the pipeline? Since there is a big pilot shortage wouldn’t the 75 pilots still be needed? Maybe I’m missing something but I would think maybe later RNLTDs/training dates for the 75 selects would mitigate the worry that pilot trainees would be waiting around too long because of pipeline issues.

Edited by Bean
Typo