College student to Guard/Reserve

benr1001

Hi all, I'm currently a senior at Texas A&M University planning on graduating December 2020. I'm casting a wide net for guard/reserve units and I'm not picky about airframes. I'll be visiting the 187th AS up in Wyoming this weekend and they seem like a top notch group of people with a fascinating mission to boot so they're currently my first pick. Here are some stats: 

-Major: University Studies Geography, GPA 3.0

-Minor in Meteorology, Minor in Parks and Natural Resource Management

-AFOQT: Pilot 98, Nav 87, AA 84, Verbal 94, Quant 63. Will be taking the TBAS soon.

-18 flight hours, post-solo but progress is slower than I'd like due to maintenance, wx, $$$, and availability.

-Member of the Corps of Cadets at A&M and Aggie Band, so some solid demonstrable leadership experience. Senior Military College experience similar to Norwich, Citadel, or VMI.

-Worked 3 different part time/full time jobs since high school, all service/food industry jobs but that's how it is in college, whatever runs the Hobbs meter.

I've done a lot of meteorological research relating to severe weather and tornadoes, mostly launching weather balloons and collecting data in the field near tornadoes and severe thunderstorms. Not very applicable to aviation but I feel like it helps the whole person concept. Also an Eagle Scout for whatever it may be worth. 

LOR's come from a former F-15C/KC-135/T-38 instructor/AA pilot and the general manager of my current off-semester job. More to come, I've heard how well they know you is more important than title, thinking I'll ask my flight instructor. Let me know what you guys think! I'm interested in both heavies and fighters but only have visits scheduled for heavies currently.

• benr1001 changed the title to College student to Guard/Reserve

Take my advice with a grain of salt. But I  think you've got a pretty decent overall package for an application. Scores are good, but definitely need the TBAS score to really get an overall picture. Start visiting units you want to apply to if they will let you/as you have the funds. You're background seems pretty diverse and leadership based which will go a long way. I think you have a great shot at getting picked up somewhere provided people get along with you at the units. Like everyone will say, its the whole person concept. Don't let any rejections keep you down. I applied 4 times and interviewed 3 times with one unit because I wanted to fly specifically with them. Just had to bug them long enough. Also, I realize its expensive, but get that PPL done. While not an actual requirement in every application, its helps tremendously and is sometimes an informal requirement. Be a good dude and dont make yourself out to be someone you're not and things will go well for you. 

Great advice above.

There are some flashcards floating around on this forum to prepare for the TBAS if you haven't taken a look at those already. I will second getting your PPL done, it check a major box for your personally and for potential units. I think you also have a great overall package with the benefit of having youth on your side. 

You'll need the PPL and to visit to be competitive for Fighters based on what I've seen on here from lurking. Good luck and welcome!

I'm a candidate, so repeating what I've seen on here.

Edited by Unit#8192
Spelling

Thanks for the tips! Getting my PPL is my second highest priority right now after making grades. I've been looking around for a job at the local FBO while I'm at school but it doesn't play well with my classes and I don't have much weekend availability at the moment. I'm currently planning to make the most out of what I have right now and fly as much as I can, then wrap up my PPL at home over the summer while I'm working. I'll take a look at those flash cards too.

To add, even showing you are actively working towards your PPL goes a long way. Feedback  I received once was that I wasn't making as much progress towards the PPL as I had planned. I was in the same boat as you in school. Its hard when you are balancing work and school and then flying on top of that. But the biggest thing is to keep pushing forward. The unit told me to get my PPL so I did and I definitely think that was a large decision factor in me getting hired. I showed the passion and drive to get done what needed to.

Update to this, I took my TBAS today and scores came in like an hour. My PCSM is 84 at 20 flight hours currently, and 201+ is 99. I went and visited the 187th Airlift Squadron in Cheyenne this past weekend and had a blast. There were 15 or 16 other applicants there but I'm feeling pretty confident. Thanks for all your advice, now I can get to work and finish up my PPL!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Good Afternoon. This May I graduated from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. All my life, I've wanted to fly in the military. As far as to which aircraft, they all fascinate me the same so I'm not partial to a particular one. In college, I worked as a store manager the past 3 years at a local running store and ran cross country and track for the university. I have a few squadrons I'm submitting my application to. Here is where stand as far as stats go:

Degree: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Mathematics

GPA: 2.98

AFOQT: Pilot - 82, Navigator - 52, AA - 40, Verbal - 16, Quantitative - 70

PCSM: 35

I am fixing to start my PPL so once that is complete my PCSM is predicted to be 56 and I plan to build more flight time as time goes on. When it comes to my AFOQT scores, I know they're not stella and was quite disappointed when I got my scores back. I did not study as much as I would've liked for the first time but now that I completed my degree I can study more and get higher scores. I plan on retaking the TBAS and get a higher score for that because I feel that is one of the reasons for my low PCSM. I'm applying to various engineering jobs at the moment and am going to work that in the meantime. Is there anything else y'all could recommend I do to maximize my chances?

On 5/30/2020 at 9:08 PM, justrun said:

Good Afternoon. This May I graduated from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. All my life, I've wanted to fly in the military. As far as to which aircraft, they all fascinate me the same so I'm not partial to a particular one. In college, I worked as a store manager the past 3 years at a local running store and ran cross country and track for the university. I have a few squadrons I'm submitting my application to. Here is where stand as far as stats go:

Degree: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Mathematics

GPA: 2.98

AFOQT: Pilot - 82, Navigator - 52, AA - 40, Verbal - 16, Quantitative - 70

PCSM: 35

I am fixing to start my PPL so once that is complete my PCSM is predicted to be 56 and I plan to build more flight time as time goes on. When it comes to my AFOQT scores, I know they're not stella and was quite disappointed when I got my scores back. I did not study as much as I would've liked for the first time but now that I completed my degree I can study more and get higher scores. I plan on retaking the TBAS and get a higher score for that because I feel that is one of the reasons for my low PCSM. I'm applying to various engineering jobs at the moment and am going to work that in the meantime. Is there anything else y'all could recommend I do to maximize my chances?

I'd toss this up in your own thread, just to not derail benr1001's incase he has more updates later on down the road. But I think like you said, retaking both tests probably isnt a bad place to start. Especially if you're interested in fighters. You said you're interested in all airframes, do your due diligence and look up the mission sets of the different airframes as well as the specific units. Getting your PPL will help immensely. But overall I think you nailed it already, new test scores and PPL. These spots are more competitive that ever so you need to stand out.