E-11A crash in Afghanistan

pilot

I'm also very curious to know what happened.  As a former flight safety guy, this one really surprises me.  The aircraft is fairly intact, resting on flat terrain and I'm not aware of an airfield anywhere nearby, at least not one that the BACN would operate out of.  RIP to the crew...I've known a number of guys who've deployed to do that mission. It was often seen as an easy, "nice" deployment where one can rack up flying hours.  Tragic that this happened.

And to the users on here trying to get into a slap-fight with fellow forum users for merely wondering out loud what could have happened...so long as no one is revealing OPSEC info or being disrespectful (as stated before), so what?  It's a military aviation forum.  Go find other things to feel important about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Stiffler said:

the eager beavers of “stop” are just trying too hard to be the mature “been there done that” guys. When you have actually “been there done that” you see the value in dialogue.

Alternatively, experience could lead one to conclude that with so little conclusive information during a time while our people can look up at their puck board and go, "I don't know if this bro is still alive," these aren't good conversations. 

Without further info, you can't have a productive conversation with respect to increasing aviation safety.  There is no definite thing you could point to as your dudes step out the door from what we know of the incident to refocus their crosscheck to increase their chance of success.  We just know that we've lost two of our own under unknown conditions.

• Upvote 4

Hey guys,

I know everyone here wants know what happened and how to fix it which is expected from folks like us.

However,First let’s drink a toast and morn the loss of two fellow aviators.  

I knew one of them personally, trained and flew with them down range

Family and friends are being notified.  outstanding officers and experienced aviators.  

God speed......him him him

Edited by jrobe
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Near Simultaneous Engine Rollbacks are very rare.  One possible explanation under very similar environmental circumstance.  This accident involving Rolls Royce Trent 800 Engines on a 777 on a Beijing to London flight in 2008.  The AAIB issued a full report on 9 February 2010. It concluded:

The investigation identified that the reduction in thrust was due to restricted fuel flow to both engines.

The investigation identified the following probable causal factors that led to the fuel flow restrictions:

1. Accreted ice from within the fuel system released, causing a restriction to the engine fuel flow at the face of the FOHE, on both of the engines.
  2. Ice had formed within the fuel system, from water that occurred naturally in the fuel, whilst the aircraft operated with low fuel flows over a long period and the localised fuel temperatures were in an area described as the 'sticky range'.
  3. The FOHE, although compliant with the applicable certification requirements, was shown to be susceptible to restriction when presented with soft ice in a high concentration, with a fuel temperature that is below −10 °C and a fuel flow above flight idle.
  4. Certification requirements, with which the aircraft and engine fuel systems had to comply, did not take account of this phenomenon as the risk was unrecognised at that time.
AAIB, Report on the accident to Boeing 777-236ER, G-YMMM, at London Heathrow Airport on 17 January 2008

3 hours ago, Gazmo said:

Are you insinuating this is what caused this accident?

It is one of a limited number of possible causes that explains why the aircraft was very intact and clearly under control with wings level upon contacting the terrain. Simultaneous engine power loss is extremely rare, but not unheard of in the ETOPS era.  Without information provided by the crew regarding the nature of the emergency, the best explanation for coming down short of paved runway is simultaneous loss of engine power with inadequate altitude for the required glide distance.  Single engine operations would have been sufficient to achieve  a successful landing on a runway of the crew's choice.   

2 hours ago, SafetyFirst said:

It is one of a limited number of possible causes that explains why the aircraft was very intact and clearly under control with wings level upon contacting the terrain. Simultaneous engine power loss is extremely rare, but not unheard of in the ETOPS era.  Without information provided by the crew regarding the nature of the emergency, the best explanation for coming down short of paved runway is simultaneous loss of engine power with inadequate altitude for the required glide distance.  Single engine operations would have been sufficient to achieve  a successful landing on a runway of the crew's choice.   

I don’t assume your intent is malicious, but I think most here would prefer patience to wild speculation at this point, especially given the absence of your history here.

There are people working very hard to get the facts.  You’ll be privy to them at an appropriate time for your stake in the matter. 

Appreciate your patience (and taciturnity) while it gets sorted out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 2/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, jice said:

taciturnity

Of course, I know what taciturnity means, but for those who don’t: 

- the state or quality of being reserved or reticent in conversation.

- Scots Law. the relinquishing of a legal right through an unduly long delay, as by the silence of the creditor.

So yeah, you know, being reticent dude. Totally. Which for the dummies out there means:

- disposed to be silent or not to speak freely; reserved.

- reluctant or restrained.

So like when you’re disposed. Which means:

- having a certain inclination or disposition; inclined (usually followed by to or an infinitive)

Ok fuck I’m lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Of course, I know what taciturnity means, but for those who don’t: 

- the state or quality of being reserved or reticent in conversation.

- Scots Law. the relinquishing of a legal right through an unduly long delay, as by the silence of the creditor.

So yeah, you know, being reticent dude. Totally. Which for the dummies out there means:

- disposed to be silent or not to speak freely; reserved.

- reluctant or restrained.

So like when you’re disposed. Which means:

- having a certain inclination or disposition; inclined (usually followed by to or an infinitive)

Ok fuck I’m lost.

Lieutenants should be taciturn and not heard. 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, jice said:

There are people working very hard to get the facts.  You’ll be privy to them at an appropriate time for your stake in the matter. 

Appreciate your patience (and taciturnity) while it gets sorted out.

I am more concerned with the well being of the war fighters that continue to take these platforms aloft.  My past involvement with the program was focused on reliability with emphasis on safety first.  I was never been patient when it came to supporting the BACN E-11A Program; won’t start now.

My thoughts and prayers continue to go  out to the crews that operate this indispensable part of the effort on a daily basis.  Godspeed to all of them.

• 2 months later...