Failing Flight Physical

Hey guys,

I am looking for advice on what to expect or do if I fail my flight physical. I got selected for CSO for OT1903 and I am completing my SF86 before my physical can be scheduled sometime this spring.

I did not do so hot on my color vision pip test at MEPS and was wondering what will happen if I fail this during my flight physical (below a score of 55 on CCT, non-waiverable)?

Would I be offered another position? or not able to go rated entirely?

Would they offer me something non-rated?

Thanks for your input!

Unknown dude.  I would guess that rated is probably out, sorry.  That being said I know lots of people in the service who are either color blind or color deficient.  So don't think it's all over, you may not end up in the job you want, but there are lots of fulfilling and awesome jobs still out there.

• 1 year later...

Coming in late to this topic. My experience is that persistence and persuasiveness can sometimes result in waivers that others tell you are impossible.   

30+ years ago I got my color vision waivered for an AFROTC pilot slot.   It took some doing, especially pre-interwebs.  I discovered that the Navy was evaluating the then-new Farnsworth Lantern (aka FALANT) as a screening tool better tied to the real world than color plates. I called up the lab, asked alot of questions, and explained my situation.  After a couple of calls, I was able to set up a visit.  I took the test and "passed" according to the criteria at the time.  I got to know the lead Navy researcher and it turned out that he had a colleague at Wright-Patt who was pushing for FALANT on the USAF side.  I met and asked him to write a letter to Brooks.  I also made sure I volunteered for every ROTC activity to get on the Detachment Commander's good side.  He also wrote a letter of support.  It took several months after graduation to get it sorted out.  Anyways, I got the waiver, went to UPT @ Laughlin and never looked back.  It was a great lesson for life in general.  

• Like 2

Second swamp yankee. And I’m going to be forward for a second. If your demeanor in writing is like your actual demeanor then you aren’t going to get a waiver like swamp talks about.

You’ve got a confidence problem. I’m not talking about being cocky. I’m talking about being confident in your position in life. Trying your hardest. Working at something and if life ain’t fair and it doesn’t go your way, figure out what way you are going to make life go for you.

Anxiety and worrying at this point aren’t going to help you. Focusing on the problem. Figuring out how to overcome and giving it your best are.

• 2 weeks later...

Another data point for being persistent for waivers. I had a condition that I was told was DQing and unwaiverable at my flight physical senior year of ROTC. I thought it was a dead end but I just kept asking questions and trying to appeal. Eventually I got an indef waiver from the Chief of Flight Medicine at Brooks even though he had never examined me 🤷‍♂️ He overrode the local flight doc and the rest is history; 8 deployments in manned flying and now two sets of wings (CSO and RPA pilot) with zero medical problems.

Don’t give up but also be prepared for plans A through at least Z. I am certainly not on my career Plan A but all things considered everything worked out tremendously well.

To answer one of your questions, if you are a contracted cadet and you fail part of your flight training (including the medical requirements), you would be reassigned to a non-rated position with a 4 year commitment. Some conditions DQ you from being a manned pilot but not a CSO/ABM/RPA pilot but I’m not an expert on the color vision requirements for each since that was not my issue personally.

Good luck!

Edited by nsplayr