Enlisting prior to UPT

Gentleman,

Quick question for those that went street to UPT via the guard. I am early on in the process after having been selected by a guard unit (MEPS completed, awaiting FC1 and clearance) my recruiter has mentioned to me that it may expedite the process if I enlist with the unit and become a drill status guardsman within the squadron in an admin role. The enlistment would have a contingency in place in the event I am disqualified prior to attending TFOT and UPT. Throughout my research of the process I don't think I ever came across this. I understand that at a certain point I would swear in to the DEP program like I did before my enlistment. However this seems like a different deal, what would a SrA do for a year's worth of UTAs awaiting an OTS date?

It’s happened before and it’s not an unusual path. It allows the unit to request dates for OTS a bit quicker. Even as a “no job” SrA, your job should be to get acclimated to the unit. try to get to know everyone. From pilots, to shops, crew dawgs... all of it. Enlisted folks love their job and most of them would love to show you around, what they do and what not. It certainly sucks to show up to a UTA and have no job and or purpose. At the same time, embrace the opportunity you’ll have to learn about other stuff within the wing outside from being a pilot. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Heck ya, if they've hired you and as long as there is a safety valve of getting out should something fall through with the pilot thing, go for it!  Enlist now and get that career clock ticking.  Be sure to get your 50 points (you get 15 for just being a member) so that year will count toward your 20 years of service.  Seems small, but we have a few guys who missed a year or so due to not getting 50 points while waiting for UPT...as they near the end of their career, they all wish they had that extra year. 

• Upvote 1

Exactly what was said above, with a further caveat: you get to start the clock on your TSP matches. Your only option will be blended retirement, which involves getting a match on your TSP contributions. The kinda shit part is Uncle Sam won’t start matching (up to 5%) until you’ve been making your own contributions for 2 years. Well, guess how long your guaranteed full-time active training time for OTS/SERE/UPT/PIQ/Seasoning is? About two years...

So, earlier you can start contributing, means you can hopefully catch some of the tail end of your full time orders and get a few more Spacebucks out of Uncle Sam. Just make sure you start putting into your TSP when you get your first checks/MyPay setup for drill weekends and you can get ahead of the game a bit. It’s not a crazy amount of money, but it’s a little something extra. 

Edited by FDNYOldGuy
I a word