F1 Thread

N730

Does anyone thing that if Merc doesn't get their shit figured out soon Lewis is going to bail after the season?

I'm rooting for anyone except Max. Horner is still an ass.  Happy Haas has scored some points this season, and sad that Williams hasn't seemed to improve much this year over the last several.  Do we think they'll bring Latifi back next year?

It would take more than this year's fat cars to get me to go near Austin.  However, the track there combined with the porpoising of the cars this year should be quite a show.

Lewis earns the largest paycheck in the sport from Mercedes.  Does he want the continued cash or the 8th title before he ages out?  Dunno...

I believe Latifi's dad pays a considerable sum to Williams so I don't expect his son to go anywhere.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:47 PM, 17D_guy said:

Fair, fair...we're paying for that their as well. Last year was turn 9 seats which were really good for cheap ones.

We did general admission last year and it was mixed. My biggest piece of advice is to rent an RV and camp at Highway 71 RV park. Has a pool and full laundry/shower facilities. Made it a nice end of day social event. Second piece of advice: go with Pat’s Public Parking. They do free food and booze…good stuff. 

We won’t be attending any races in person this year. If you do COTA, make sure you pay for seats or walk/free shuttle yourself to turn 6+. The masses congregate around T1 and the ped bridge before T3. The “trek” to 6 and beyond will mean that you can actually find a place in GA to sit. That, and it won’t take an hour to get a cold beverage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:25 AM, 17D_guy said:

Anyone doing Austin this year? I went last year and had some complaints, but the race was awesome. Going again this year.

I'll be going again this year....we went last year and sat at turn 12.  We are at turn 12 again this year.  Made for a fun race being that it's at the end of the DRS zone and you can see turns 13, 14, 15 from the seats too.  We go with a group of about 12 guys and learned that it is well worth renting a limo for race day.  Don't have to worry about a DD or arriving/departing....makes the busiest day a bit more fun/relaxing.....we typically rent a car from Turo which saves a chunk of change and stay about 30 min away from the track (and away from Austin) in an AirBnB.  All in cost wise (not including airfare) it's right around $1,500/person for race (all 3 days)/trans/lodging.  

Miami GP:

- IMO, a boring race to watch.  Too many hairpin type turns that didn’t allow for real racing.  Most of the passes came from inadequate braking/locking up the brakes going into turns.  Only one straightaway allowed for 200+ mph speeds.  

I am happy to see Ferrari competing again though and wish Alpha Romeo would give Bottas a better car to be able to compete with RB, Ferrari and MB.  

Edited by Tank

On 5/9/2022 at 6:53 AM, Tank said:

Miami GP:

- IMO, a boring race to watch.  Too many hairpin type turns that didn’t allow for real racing.  Most of the passes came from inadequate braking/locking up the brakes going into turns.  Only one straightaway allowed for 200+ mph speeds.  

I am happy to see Ferrari competing again though and wish Alpha Romeo would give Bottas a better car to be able to compete with RB, Ferrari and MB.  

I thought it turned out pretty good.  I shared your concerns when I first saw the course, but honestly it was a good race.  As far as passing coming from "inadequate braking/locking up the brakes going into turns", isn't that exactly how most of the passing happens on most of the tracks? Sit behind your opponent, put pressure on him, and wait for him to fuck up....and then hope you didn't waste too much rubber in the process? I do wish we'd see a lot more permanent road courses vs these semi-permanent tight-ish street courses popping up, but IMO Miami is worlds better than say Saudi when it comes down to design and the strategy is giving us 3 U.S. races next year so I can't complain too much. 

42 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Meh.  Lots of nonsensical rambling.  He'll be on the DTM circuit soon enough & we'll all care even less about what he has to say then.  F1 has already given us 4cyl turbos that sound like shit and says it's going to be "net zero" by 2030.  What more does he want? I suppose he can take a sailboat to the overseas races if he feels that guilty. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:14 AM, HeyWatchThis said:

I'll be going again this year....we went last year and sat at turn 12.  We are at turn 12 again this year.  Made for a fun race being that it's at the end of the DRS zone and you can see turns 13, 14, 15 from the seats too.  We go with a group of about 12 guys and learned that it is well worth renting a limo for race day.  Don't have to worry about a DD or arriving/departing....makes the busiest day a bit more fun/relaxing.....we typically rent a car from Turo which saves a chunk of change and stay about 30 min away from the track (and away from Austin) in an AirBnB.  All in cost wise (not including airfare) it's right around $1,500/person for race (all 3 days)/trans/lodging.  

Interesting. We paid for Lot 4 parking, huge mistake. Got refunded afterward though. We're looking at transport to the track now, though we are staying in Austin. I'll bring up the limo...it's gotta be cheaper than the helo we were looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday's Monaco - other than being on my bucket list for a place to see world class "talent" due to all the money, was yet another cars on parade event.

Tradition is fine, but not when the fat hippo cars can't pass on the narrow streets.

Sounds like McLaren is pointing to the door for Riccardo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, uhhello said:

What a finish

Zhou's incident was pretty scary for me.  Like most of us, I watched his car in the initial shot, inverted and scudding across the gravel.  I was very surprised his car didn't lose more energy than it did.  Glad all are okay.

14 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Zhou's incident was pretty scary for me.  Like most of us, I watched his car in the initial shot, inverted and scudding across the gravel.  I was very surprised his car didn't lose more energy than it did.  Glad all are okay.

Think about how much lift that car was creating at that speed while upside down. He was basically a hovercraft at that point. Very scary indeed. I knew when they didn’t immediately play the replay that there was serious concern about his condition. Chalk another win up for the halo, ugly as it is. 

17 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

• 4 weeks later...

Over/under of Ferrari firing their strategists during the break?

Seems Merc has finally got their shit together. And glad they let things happen organically at the end vs imposing team orders.

Edited by stract
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Been watching F1 for 20 years. Never seen the level of strange calls that Ferrari is making now.

It’s bizarre. Last couple races it’s like they’ve been trying (hard) to get themselves OFF the podium. Maybe Binotto has some sort of behind the scenes super secret squirrel Euro deal with Toto or something. 🤔