F1 Thread

N730

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 7:59 AM, brickhistory said:

No race this weekend and since no one commented on last week's "cars on parade" again performance, it seems like most thought it boring as well.

Honda said "we are outta here" next year as an engine supplier.

And that's not good news they're bouncing either.  I'm interested to see if FIA is going to do anything to try and attract more engine suppliers, otherwise it's going to get even more boring.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

And that's not good news they're bouncing either.  I'm interested to see if FIA is going to do anything to try and attract more engine suppliers, otherwise it's going to get even more boring.

Yes, a good question for the FIA.  I am most curious to know where they go in five years, it seems like there is still some ultra-efficient engine scheme on the near horizon.  Electric is already well developed in Formula E, so where do we go, and will it be entertaining?

56 minutes ago, GrndPndr said:

Yes, a good question for the FIA.  I am most curious to know where they go in five years, it seems like there is still some ultra-efficient engine scheme on the near horizon.  Electric is already well developed in Formula E, so where do we go, and will it be entertaining?

Well developed in the sense that it works to make a car go around the track, but since it’s all narrow street circuits with relatively wide cars not very entertaining at all. 

Marbula E, though? Gold. 

On 10/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, Breckey said:
On 10/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, SurelySerious said:
Well developed in the sense that it works to make a car go around the track, but since it’s all narrow street circuits with relatively wide cars not very entertaining at all. 

Marbula E, though? Gold. 

I love Marbula E.

Searching what this was gave me a good chuckle.

• Like 1

Several next generation F1 wannabe's were supposed to get practice drives this weekend but were rained out on Friday.  If you are one of the drivers who isn't under a contract for next year, that's gotta be a crappy feeling having to sit out from "your" car while Jr. gets a shot at replacing you right in front of you.  

As to Honda leaving to concentrate on 'lectrical stuff for the future, next year will be another kludge on top of the kludge left over from this year.

If/as manufacturers go the electrical route, and since Formula E is already a thing, does that mean Formula 1 goes back to being pure gas technology only?  Or something more exotic like hydrogen fuel cells, etc?

One idea, not mine originally, would be for F1 to go back to entertaining the petrolheads that is their core audience and bring back V8s or V10s.  Or something like some super-duper efficient 4 cylinder that produces eleventy-million horses.

Or they can continue to become woke and go broke quickly at the rates they go through cash.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:30 AM, brickhistory said:

Several next generation F1 wannabe's were supposed to get practice drives this weekend but were rained out on Friday.  If you are one of the drivers who isn't under a contract for next year, that's gotta be a crappy feeling having to sit out from "your" car while Jr. gets a shot at replacing you right in front of you.  

As to Honda leaving to concentrate on 'lectrical stuff for the future, next year will be another kludge on top of the kludge left over from this year.

If/as manufacturers go the electrical route, and since Formula E is already a thing, does that mean Formula 1 goes back to being pure gas technology only?  Or something more exotic like hydrogen fuel cells, etc?

One idea, not mine originally, would be for F1 to go back to entertaining the petrolheads that is their core audience and bring back V8s or V10s.  Or something like some super-duper efficient 4 cylinder that produces eleventy-million horses.

Or they can continue to become woke and go broke quickly at the rates they go through cash.

I think the FIA knows electrons are a problem for the F1 variant.  We already have Formula E, and if some move to that is accorded in F1, then a large chunk of their audience will evaporate.  I'm there for the petrol operated machines (hey I'm older), and I like it.

On a separate note, congrats to the guy who placed third (can't believe I just wrote that), he deserved it.

Sunday's race was another "meh."  If it weren't for bad luck, Bottas would have none.

Well done to Hamilton for the win and the tie in the record book.  Also to Kimi for most starts ever.  And to Hulkenburg for another no-notice race with points this time.  Hope he lands a seat next year.

As to an all electric F1, not my bag, baby.  Loud engines and aerodynamics are the blunt force instruments of choice.  For me anyway.

For all the instant acceleration of electric, tire noise being the loudest part of the vehicle is a shame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Haas let both its drivers go for next year.  Adios, human torpedo Grosjean.  It was fun to watch which one of you would show up on any given Sunday.

That dude was the most frustrating driver for me.  Albon coming in #2.  Haas is out right?  Seen rumors they're selling.

I read that some Russian gazillionaire with a driver son is going to partner with Haas with the son getting one of the seats a la Stroll at Racing Point.

At first, regarding Stroll and, potentially, this guy, I was irritated because daddy bought him the seat.  But then realized/read that many drivers have big money sponsors behind them that provide money to the team in exchange for their boy getting the drive.  It being a parent simply cuts out the middle man.

I'd like it to be based on ability only, but that ain't the way the world works, so I sit back and watch the cars and turn off the outrage machine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

I read that some Russian gazillionaire with a driver son is going to partner with Haas with the son getting one of the seats a la Stroll at Racing Point.

At first, regarding Stroll and, potentially, this guy, I was irritated because daddy bought him the seat.  But then realized/read that many drivers have big money sponsors behind them that provide money to the team in exchange for their boy getting the drive.  It being a parent simply cuts out the middle man.

I'd like it to be based on ability only, but that ain't the way the world works, so I sit back and watch the cars and turn off the outrage machine.

Have you watched the doc series on F1?  Has a good breakdown of the "sponser" issues when it came to Perez and...Sainz?  Or was it Ocon?  I can't remember.

2 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Heard this same thing on Sky this morning during P2.  It does seem as though Driver + $ is more value than Driver only.  Not a surprise, eh?

Looking forward to tomorrow's race.  This rarely used Portuguese track is pretty cool with all the elevation changes.

Yes, I saw the documentary dealt with the drivers with sponsorships.   

Brute force, hot chicks, and money rule the world.  Natural ability is a distant fourth, so no podium there...

See what I did? 😎

That dude was the most frustrating driver for me.  Albon coming in #2.  Haas is out right?  Seen rumors they're selling.
I don't think so. Rumor is the rich kid (marginal driver with anger issues) and Mick Schumacher will get the seats, but who knows.

As for Stroll, I think he's a little bit better than the typical pay driver. He's not top tier, but he's far from the worst on the grid.

Edit: Of course I say this and then he races like it's his first ever grand prix.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Haha 2

It's been a full day so no spoilers by now:

Very interesting start to the race - Bottas took and should've been able to keep the lead.  Hamilton just is better, managed his car and tires better.  I wish it wasn't that way, but Bottas' had multiple opportunities today and in the past and isn't getting it done at the same level as Hamilton.  Sainz out front was spectacular but short-lived unfortunately.

The Kimi run was also pretty spectacular, I agree.  Would've loved to see him stay up front in the points.

A very good drive by Gasly.  Not so much for Albon, who is not helping himself keep a job.  That is entirely in his hands (sts) and he's not getting it done either.  On him...

Then the race turned back into cars on parade.

Well done to Hamilton for the win and congratulations on reaching the record.  Hard to argue with stats.

• Upvote 1