F1 Thread

N730

14 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Are we sure that was indeed the French GP? I remember it being a dull affair year after year.

Yes, it was an exciting race.  If there are some here who haven't seen it, it's worth watching (no spoilers).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had to watch last week's and today's races today.

Last week - pretty good, although the battle at front took all the cameras off the midfield mostly.  

This week - it sure does look like Mercedes is kinda coasting (pun intended) this year while they, in their own words, focus on the massive rule changes for next year.  

Good on Leclerc for his recovery-ish.

Is it a 3-D chess corporate move on Merc and/or F1's part to break the endless dominance of Mercedes so that fans don't become more bored or a gamble that seems to not be paying off by relying on past technical work to carry them this year?

Bottas is gone next year, I believe.  

Norris continues to kick Riccardo's ass.  Wonder if he, Riccardo, will try to run to another team next year?  This'll be third time he's faced a better racing partner.  His tactic has, thus far, been to try another tea where he can be the top dog.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Had to watch last week's and today's races today.

Last week - pretty good, although the battle at front took all the cameras off the midfield mostly.  

This week - it sure does look like Mercedes is kinda coasting (pun intended) this year while they, in their own words, focus on the massive rule changes for next year.  

Good on Leclerc for his recovery-ish.

Is it a 3-D chess corporate move on Merc and/or F1's part to break the endless dominance of Mercedes so that fans don't become more bored or a gamble that seems to not be paying off by relying on past technical work to carry them this year?

Bottas is gone next year, I believe.  

Norris continues to kick Riccardo's ass.  Wonder if he, Riccardo, will try to run to another team next year?  This'll be third time he's faced a better racing partner.  His tactic has, thus far, been to try another tea where he can be the top dog.

What I think seems weird....ok I get Lewis/Max are probably the best, but are they really that much better than Perez/Bottas to be opening such large gaps? Initially is was a "WOW Lewis is THAT good, he's just THAT much better than Bottas". But now with Max and Perez, it looks like the same rodeo again. Lets not forget Perez only won because the Pirellis went kaboom on Max. I really do wonder if the whole things rigged sometimes... 

Remember Russells "tire mix up"? How convenient....wouldn't want to throw some schmuck in the car and have them coast to a win...

In a sport with the amount of money that gets thrown around in F1....nothing would surprise me. 

11 hours ago, hockeydork said:

<snip>

Lets not forget Perez only won because the Pirellis went kaboom on Max. I really do wonder if the whole things rigged sometimes... 

Remember Russells "tire mix up"? How convenient....wouldn't want to throw some schmuck in the car and have them coast to a win...

<snip>

You're right, Baku would have been another win for Max, interesting, eh?

And the tire mix-up.  Russell topped (sts) every practice and qualifying, then lead the race until the tire slip-up.  That was just too "fishy" for me.  When was the last time someone's pit activity was that bad?  Makes you wonder if Lewis was on the phone saying "You need to do something to get him off that track?"  (I know, pretty far fetched, right?)

Then there's the very slightly connected (to F1) Montreal Canadiens

14 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

You're right, Baku would have been another win for Max, interesting, eh?

And the tire mix-up.  Russell topped (sts) every practice and qualifying, then lead the race until the tire slip-up.  That was just too "fishy" for me.  When was the last time someone's pit activity was that bad?  Makes you wonder if Lewis was on the phone saying "You need to do something to get him off that track?"  (I know, pretty far fetched, right?)

Then there's the very slightly connected (to F1) Montreal Canadiens

I think anybody with a marketing degree would tell you it would be devastating to have some new kid win in Hammies car so easy. If he can do it, does that mean ANYONE can, so long as they are driving the #1 Merc? No bueno. We'll never know for sure tho unfortunately.

I can't wait for cost caps, and I hope alphatauri end up being nasty good. I also think to fix F1 the right way you need to make it so that if a team ends up with its two cars next to each other, they can race each other at the end without worrying about stupid team points/crashing out. What if you cumulatively scored each cars position for each lap of the race, and that's how points were awarded? Or award like 80 percent of team points based on car position at the 5 laps to go mark, than let them duke it out for the last 20 percent? Basically make the actual finishing position of each car less relevant to "team points" so that these guys can mix it up properly. 

If Hamilton and Bottas are P1/P2, as a fan come end of race I absolutely want to see them in a fight to the death to win without worrying about the stupid team points. If it means two wrecked cars, so be it. 

As for the Canadiens...rough day lol. 

Edited by hockeydork
can't spell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Standby said:

Anybody going to the COTA race?

I’m hoping to. I’m holding out that they end up cancelling one of the other races and holding two events at COTA as I may have a conflict during race weekend as it currently stands.  But we all know that hope is not a tactic. 

My wife and I along with another couple are going to be there all weekend. We’re renting an RV and they are bringing their airstream. Got two spots at one of the RV grounds about 15 minutes away. 

If anybody else is attending we should setup a little BO meet. 

Enjoyed the sprint race qualifying format today way more than the traditional method.

Except I'd make the "sprint" much shorter.  They did 17 laps which made it a short race with the inevitable cars on parade dance.

Make it 5 laps and it forces them to mix it up immediately and for the entire sprint.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Enjoyed the sprint race qualifying format today way more than the traditional method.

Except I'd make the "sprint" much shorter.  They did 17 laps which made it a short race with the inevitable cars on parade dance.

Make it 5 laps and it forces them to mix it up immediately and for the entire sprint.

I like it, but 5 laps does make it sounds like lots of crashes (which might be cool)

On 7/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, brickhistory said:

Well done to today's winner.  Quite a chase.

BS on the penalty.  A) it's racing B) other driver was moving right as well.

Horner and Red Bull are drama queens...

Max's social media post was also pretty whiny. I'm pretty put off at how they bitch and whine, Toto isn't much better. Was discussing with the frau during the England/Italy game what it would be like to be a woman married someone who flops around and pretends to cry, or whines on social media about a first lap crash...from Max's Instagram "Watching the celebrations after the race while still in hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike behavior but we move on"

thats some passive aggressive high school girl stuff right there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, brickhistory said:

Horner and Red Bull are drama queens...

I've been saying this about Horner for a while.  Every time he speaks it reaffirms my opinion of him as a douchbag.  I mean today, when he KNEW it was nothing deliberate by Valtteri, and backhandedly didn't accept the public apology from Toto, still trying to be dramatic.

Good race today!  Happy to see a new face atop the podium, happy to see Williams drivers score points, and man I thought Lewis was going to keel over during the podium ceremony.  COVID is a bitch.

1 hour ago, stract said:

That would work for Ocon and Alonso as well, lol

Looks like a setup you might’ve seen on the old Top Gear. Give the guy in the trailer a paintball gun with the objective of blacking out competitors’ visors/windshields. I’d pay to watch (that’s what your mother said last night Trebek!). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...