Jiu-jitsu Training

iRobot

• iRobot changed the title to Jiu-jitsu Training

What everyone above said is correct... your "free time" is about to get nuked.  Its not as bad as it sounds... but you will be rather focused on other things for the next few years.  That's okay... its still a (mostly) kick ass time.

Having said that... working out to recover from stress is absolutely vital.  I have never been a Ninja Turtle, but being part of a gym and working out will help you maintain balance.  This is coming from both a former UPT student and a UPT IP and FLT/CC.  Assuming your FLT aren't a bunch of numskulls... you may be able to "lobby" for gym time after the first portions of T-6s.  If that sounds like a good idea... make sure people know their boldface.  Like... perfect.  Also... don't do dumb things, show up on time, yadda yadda.

TL;DR... heavy/high time commitment stuff is not very conducive during UPT.  At the same time, some type of working out will most likely help you out tons.

edit:  To answer your question... Laughlin had nothing outside of a local "Tae Kwan Do" gym when I was there... but that was 7 years ago.  They did have crossfit when it was "the thing"... but I am not sure that is exactly what you are after.  Probably same for the other bases... try google.

Edited by VFRDirect
stupid words... spelling sucks

2 hours ago, VFRDirect said:

What everyone above said is correct... your "free time" is about to get nuked.  Its not as bad as it sounds... but you will be rather focused on other things for the next few years.  That's okay... its still a (mostly) kick ass time.

Having said that... working out to recover from stress is absolutely vital.  I have never been a Ninja Turtle, but being part of a gym and working out will help you maintain balance.  This is coming from both a former UPT student and a UPT IP and FLT/CC.  Assuming your FLT aren't a bunch of numskulls... you may be able to "lobby" for gym time after the first portions of T-6s.  If that sounds like a good idea... make sure people know their boldface.  Like... perfect.  Also... don't do dumb things, show up on time, yadda yadda.

TL;DR... heavy/high time commitment stuff is not very conducive during UPT.  At the same time, some type of working out will most likely help you out tons.

edit:  To answer your question... Laughlin had nothing outside of a local "Tae Kwan Do" gym when I was there... but that was 7 years ago.  They did have crossfit when it was "the thing"... but I am not sure that is exactly what you are after.  Probably same for the other bases... try google.

Figured as much. Mentor of mine did say that I should learn to balance some "me time" (gym, reading, nose picking) from time-to-time. I've looked around and seen a few Jiu-Jitsu academies, but I am definitely more curious if there was any community involved much on base, especially with regards to some "uncharted" places like Laughlin 😏 

Who knows, maybe in my free-time I can teach some of my classmates how to choke people out in case the Bar-Hop Op goes south...

Depends how awesome you are if you'll have time.  A fellow GA nut classmate and I occasionally hung out at a local airport on the weekend and help build some planes.  We became good friends with an IFF sim IP who had a few planes out there.  He told us about a stud that took every award in training, AND built half an RV-8 while in UPT 😳!  That said, the rest of us normal, non-water walkers didn't have much free time during the week.  I will say that it did ease up toward the end of each phase, so you might be able to sneak some time then.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iRobot said:

😏

Who knows, maybe in my free-time I can teach some of my classmates how to choke people out in case the Bar-Hop Op goes south...

As for Del Rio, I recommend partying on base vs in town.  (Easier, safer, less driving, and if things are like they were a few years ago, leadership is more understanding of on-base minor stupidity vs making the local news/blotter)

• Thanks 1

Go train. Find a way to train, even if it’s once a week or less. Look at branching out and finding a judo school, etc, if you can’t find an actual BJJ gym.

I’ve been training for years and I would always find a place to roll, even if it meant going out of my way to do so. It’s cool because I’ve now trained jiu jitsu on 5 of the 7 continents. 

You may not get consistent training in but it’s better than nothing. And, if you’re like me, I’d rather train than party, it’s a better release from the intensities of studying/working. 

• Like 1