Pilot Application Package

Grave

Question

I'm very sorry if this has been talked about here before, but I cannot for the life of me find an explanation in the search.

Basic background: Enlisted aircrew (E-5) with the CA Air National Guard and I am looking to apply for ANG/AFRC pilot positions.

I am seemingly ready to submit my applications. I have my degree completed, AFOQT/TBAS completed/PCSM generated, over 100 hours of flight time (with PPL), and three letters of recommendation in hand. But I am now finding out how little I know of what exactly is contained in an application package? Is there a guide available for building one or do I just need to send scores/resume/letters of rec into the units I'm interested and complete the rest of the package after the interview?

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated!

3 answers to this question

There really isn’t a standardized process for sending packages as each hiring board is a little different. Normally each unit will specify exactly what they need. Mostly all the same stuff (resume, cover letter, scores, transcripts, flight certificates, etc.) but you’d need to find out for sure before submitting anything.

Squadrons will typically have an application guide on the unit website detailing everything that’s needed and in what order. BogiDope will also often provide this information with each job posting on their site in the form of a PDF attachment. Here’s an example.

Let me know if you need help!

Use the bogidope map search and global enterprise email system to email folks listed in the directory. Pm if you interested in a list I compiled about two years ago. It’s kinda old but they will probably put you in touch with the right person. When emailing random people in the global, I usually just attached one PDF with a CL, resume, and PCSM scores. It will get the conversation started. Keep your emails short and to the point. They are more likely to be forwarded to the right person if the receiver is not having to read a short story on your goals and dreams.
Good luck.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Like the other guys said, the process doesn't work in a way where you just start email random documentation around.

The reserves are a little different and I can't speak to that, but if you go the unsponsored route, you'll work through a reserve officer recruiter. If you apply directly to units, bogidope is your best bet for a POC.

As for the guard, you need to be checking bogidope, the individual guard websites, and even their wing's recruiting facebook page. Not every unit announced their hiring boards in the same way. They all have their own packet requirements, but most contain pretty much the same stuff that @vipermaverickk mentioned. Some want more, some want less. I've seen requests from everything from 2 to 5 letters of recommendation, so it all just depends. Some units want physical packets mailed in, some want digital, and some want both.

It'll take some leg work from you to find the POCs for each unit if it isn't readily available on bogidope. You  might have to call around and just get in touch with SOMEONE at a unit to get the number for one of the pilots. Bogidope is great, but it is not 100%. Not every unit updates their information or board information with them, so while it is a great resource, do not think that it is the only place you need to look.

• Like 1