Unsponsored Reserve Advice

Good evening everyone! I am a cadet in AFROTC and got picked up by the unsponsored Reserve Rated Board last Fall. Since then I have been applying to and rushing squadrons, but I am not sponsored yet. My dream has always been the CAS mission; however, I have not landed an interview with a fighter squadron (largely do to my scores). Initially I did not have my PPL and only had 7 flight hours, so this summer I got my PPL and I am up to 62 flight hours. My PCSM is 69 with an AFOQT pilot score of 73; I did not have any flight experience when I took the AFOQT. I am scheduled to retake the AFOQT soon, but my AFROTC cadre have asked me multiple times if I am sure I want to retake the AFOQT as a 73 pilot by AFROTC standards is not bad. I will be commissioning May 2020 and I am hoping to be sponsored before I begin UPT. I am looking for some advice as to if I should risk retaking the AFOQT? Would it be possible to be sponsored anywhere with my current scores? I have been studying, but since my cadre have questioned me retaking it I am a little bit nervous. I am not entirely ready to give up my dream of CAS, but I absolutely have not ruled out heavies or rotary. Any general advice for a young college student that is trying to decide what to fly and where to live? Thank you for your time and I apologize if this was posted in the incorrect discussion area. 

I don’t think you’re risking anything by retaking it as long as you study.

If you don’t study or prep, you shouldn’t expect to do much better. I know a lot of AFROTC and NROTC guys that seem to think there’s no need to prep for the aptitude tests. Don’t be one of those guys.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if you got an interview at a fighter unit with those scores. Everyone I interviewed with were over 90s. Most high 90s pilot scores.

You can easily score in the 90s with a little preparation. Then you will have a better shot at getting interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

Hey man,

I applied to the ROTC Reserve board 2 years ago and just commissioned. Getting fighters off the street with the reserve is tough. From what I hear, it's not uncommon to have around 100 applicants for 1 or 2 slots. I'd echo N730s advice. If you really want fighters, I'd recommend retaking the PSCM and AFOQT. It's not likely your scores would decrease much, if at all. With that said, if some of your scores were borderline to meet minimums for the AFOQT I wouldn't risk retaking them, but that's me. 

12 hours ago, JustACadet said:

Would it be possible to be sponsored anywhere with my current scores?

No idea for rotary, but your scores with a upt slot in hand would make you competitive for heavies. Heavy squadrons might think your scores are a little low, but already having a pilot slot should help a lot. Already having the upt slot was huge when I applied and interviewed. For me it made up for a lackluster 3.0 GPA. Also if you do retake the PSCM/ AFOQT and score higher it could open up a few doors in more selective heavy squadrons. 

Any general advice for a young college student that is trying to decide what to fly and where to live?

Shotgun out applications to multiple squadrons you're interested in. Try to schedule a visit if they're willing. Every squadron is a little different so the best way to find the best fit is to visit and talk to the guys/gals there. 

I am hoping to be sponsored before I begin UPT

Good idea. If possible get sponsored before UPT so you have plenty of time to visit/ interview with squadrons. If you don't find a home before UPT it's not all that bad since there would be an AFRC liaison officer there who would help you find one.

• Upvote 1

Hey man,
I applied to the ROTC Reserve board 2 years ago and just commissioned. Getting fighters off the street with the reserve is tough. From what I hear, it's not uncommon to have around 100 applicants for 1 or 2 slots. I'd echo N730s advice. If you really want fighters, I'd recommend retaking the PSCM and AFOQT. It's not likely your scores would decrease much, if at all. With that said, if some of your scores were borderline to meet minimums for the AFOQT I wouldn't risk retaking them, but that's me. 
Good idea. If possible get sponsored before UPT so you have plenty of time to visit/ interview with squadrons. If you don't find a home before UPT it's not all that bad since there would be an AFRC liaison officer there who would help you find one.

I was told by a friend of mine chasing the unsponsored route that you are no longer allowed to begin UPT without sponsorship from a unit. Can anyone confirm? Not sure if that’s recruiter here say rumor mill g2.

You’ve confused me and I congratulate you for it, I thought I’ve heard it all.  Are you AFROTC or searching for a reserve slot?  Is this a program inside ROTC where you can cross commission if picked up by a unit?  Or are you trying to hedge your bets with both?

Do you research on the PR mission and talk to some Pedro guys before selecting to go helos. Also, chances are your Cadre are all AD on a ROTC instructor tour. I’m sure they want what’s best for you. However, they only know so much about how the ANG and AFRC works. Trust, but verify and learn from early on as you get ready to begin your military career on the Officer side. No one will care more about career than you. Take your time, prepare and retest. Good luck. Cheers

• Upvote 1

Thank you everyone for the help and advice! I will definitely retake the AFOQT and continue to visit as many squadrons as I can. Just trying to find a place I fit in best! I know this really shouldn't be a consideration (though its come up while rushing in the past), but any communities that chicks fit in better to or is it just a personality thing? Thanks again!

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

Are you AFROTC or searching for a reserve slot?  Is this a program inside ROTC where you can cross commission if picked up by a unit?

Just like ayz33 stated, yes. I am senior in college and cadet in AFROTC. AFROTC/the Reserve holds a new-ish board during the Fall of a cadet's junior year where if selected, you commission into the Reserve. It's an unsponsored board (just like the civilian one), so we still have to find a squadron. What is different though is AFROTC considers some different things when selecting cadets for pilot slots (CC ranking, Field Training ranking, etc.). 

I’ll echo what trapped said. We were both picked up for that 2 years ago along with 10 other selects. My honest advice would be to think long and hard (sts) before retesting. You’ve got an AFRC UPT slot which is a lot more than what your buddies in ROTC can say. Last result is the one that counts and it would be a shame if you lost this golden ticket. Honestly, I’d broaden your scope to heavies which isn’t an insult, trapped and I are both going Heavies and there was only one guy in our board who got hired for fighters. As for the gender question, nobody cares. Be yourself, be a good pilot, and take a genuine interest in the unit and your friends in the unit. Treat them like family and they’ll do the same. But definitely have a keen ear when you start visiting units, you’ll know which units are a good fit and the units that fall short will leave you with some perturbation. Trust your sixth sense. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I was told by a friend of mine chasing the unsponsored route that you are no longer allowed to begin UPT without sponsorship from a unit

I had inprocessing this summer with the 340th and they said there are LNO's at every UPT base who help unsponsored folks get hired. Not sure if its changing in the future, but currently they allow it.

9 hours ago, JustACadet said:

any communities that chicks fit in better

Guess I shouldn't have started my post with, "Hey man," my bad

8 hours ago, Siegzy said:

only one guy in our board who got hired for fighters

Also worth noting he had family in the squadron