What is a good company to Mil-leave from?

26 minutes ago, Duck said:

Is this Alpha Alert? Launch within 30mins? I know some units that have a Bravo line and it doesn’t seem to be as good of a deal as we have here.

Not sure what is considered alpha or bravo alert. It's like, you stay in a facility on base 24/7 and when the horn goes off, you go running for the jets.   

Edited by SocialD

Not sure what is considered alpha or bravo alert. It's like, you stay in a facility on base 24/7 and when the horn goes off, you go running for the jets.   

Yeah same here. Hmmm. Sounds like a screw job for sure. On another note I have been told that while y’all are DAV coded from deployments when sitting Alert, we are not. How many days a month are you actually “sitting”? We are 1 on, 2 off, but we can stack up to 5 days straight to give us more block time off. I sit Alert and also do the Managing for the Wing. I absolutely love this job. Since the ex didn’t try to take my military retirement, I plan on maxing that thing out just to spite her!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

10 hours ago, SocialD said:

Well I'm guessing it's kinda like how the NGB staff takes care of themselves with USERRA exempt orders (though I heard those are getting cut as well), but the peons don't get the same. 

Those (USERRA Exempt Orders) were cut 15 May 2015 almost 5 years ago, unless they were reinstated? Airlines got quite a bit smarter.

2 hours ago, Duck said:

I absolutely love this job. Since the ex didn’t try to take my military retirement, I plan on maxing that thing out just to spite her!

Very Rare! Good for you, job/end game done extremely well.

9 hours ago, brabus said:

We don’t call it A/B, but yes, it’s faster than A. Title 32, non-exempt...Just another job, courtesy of NGB. 

Ahhhhh, that’s correct. I recall that measure and written policy now. Your fellow fast burners & bean counters wrote into fine print something to the effect: Title 32 until performing the real-world event which requires Title 10 auto-convert as it becomes a  Federal mission and falls under Title 10 Federal Authority in order to execute. Yup, that’s a screw job... 

Just goes to show you, when the Government offers you a “deal”, it’s most likely NOT  in your favor. 

*Advised a friend (Major who worked for me) of mine out of signing for $30K immediately and accepting the 40% vs 50% retirement pay at 20 yrs. (He was at 15 yrs AD service) He argued he could do better with $30k at 7% return in the stock market. I let him know it would be $22K after taxes, may do 7% - may not. And, he would only need to be retired as a Major for not even 5 years to break even and it’s pure gravy 10% win after that. If he knew he had a terminal disease shorter than that, just enjoy the cash which is understandable.

Funny thing: He made O-6 last year, just think about that 10% now. Bravo for one of our own. Nothing more dangerous than a man with options!

9 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Those (USERRA Exempt Orders) were cut 15 May 2015 almost 5 years ago, unless they were reinstated? Airlines got quite a bit smarter.

Very Rare! Good for you, job/end game done extremely well.

Most of my full time was on or before that timeframe, so that makes sense.  I remember hearing that some of them were being cut but I believe some are still there.  Obviously a special case, but  the outgoing ANGRC/CC (outstanding dude!) has been out on MLOA (from DAL) for well over 10 years.  

8 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Ahhhhh, that’s correct. I recall that measure and written policy now. Your fellow fast burners & bean counters wrote into fine print something to the effect: Title 32 until performing the real-world event which requires Title 10 auto-convert as it becomes a  Federal mission and falls under Title 10 Federal Authority in order to execute. Yup, that’s a screw job... 

Just goes to show you, when the Government offers you a “deal”, it’s most likely NOT  in your favor. 

When I was young and naive, I learned my lessons on "deals" from the government.  It's the reason I decided to go down the part-timer path with no desire to ever go full time again, and a major reason why I don't sit alert anymore.  

8 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

*Advised a friend (Major who worked for me) of mine out of signing for $30K immediately and accepting the 40% vs 50% retirement pay at 20 yrs. (He was at 15 yrs AD service) He argued he could do better with $30k at 7% return in the stock market. I let him know it would be $22K after taxes, may do 7% - may not. And, he would only need to be retired as a Major for not even 5 years to break even and it’s pure gravy 10% win after that. If he knew he had a terminal disease shorter than that, just enjoy the cash which is understandable.

Funny thing: He made O-6 last year, just think about that 10% now. Bravo for one of our own. Nothing more dangerous than a man with options!

Not enough info to say if it worked out well or not.  He may have taken his slightly reduced retirement, made 7% on his bonus, landed a gig that made him a bunch more money and/or a second retirement and never had to deal with DTS again!  😁

4 hours ago, Duck said:

That is so strange how different this is. We are always Title 10... whether we launch or not.

When you look at it through the lens of a bean counter, or think of airline execs leaning on the .gov, it all makes sense.  They want a full time force, they just don't want to pay for it...which I get.  Kind of like when we had wildly different benefits based on whether you went vol or non-vol on non-contingency deployments (12301d vs 12304b...finally changed for the good).  However, I never knew our tanker bros were getting title-10 exempt orders.  I assume those are early retirement eligible?  Good on ya, that's truly a great deal!  How many "man-years" (can we still say that?  Person-years? Human-years?) of orders does your squadron get per year?  Each alert squadron gets 10 sets of orders per year.  For a while some squadron got 12, but I think we're all back down to 10.  

When you look at it through the lens of a bean counter, or think of airline execs leaning on the .gov, it all makes sense.  They want a full time force, they just don't want to pay for it...which I get.  Kind of like when we had wildly different benefits based on whether you went vol or non-vol on non-contingency deployments (12301d vs 12304b...finally changed for the good).  However, I never knew our tanker bros were getting title-10 exempt orders.  I assume those are early retirement eligible?  Good on ya, that's truly a great deal!  How many "man-years" (can we still say that?  Person-years? Human-years?) of orders does your squadron get per year?  Each alert squadron gets 10 sets of orders per year.  For a while some squadron got 12, but I think we're all back down to 10.  

Yeah! Early retirement eligible and also TAMP-180 (I think that’s the right term). We are currently fighting TACC and A3 about Manning. Technically, we get 2 full crews on Title-10 alert. Which if played out, would be working 15 days a month... good luck getting anyone to volunteer for that. A3 supplements us with enough “man-days” to create another crew although that is not the “intention” of the days they give us. When scheduled out, the 3 crew ratio lets us schedule people to work 10 days a month, which gets a lot of airline guys and even guest help beating down the doors to participate for 33 days here and there.

We have 2 pilot managers and 2 boom managers who stay on Alert Orders most of the year and deal with all the management and scheduling headaches. I was blessed to be able to slide into this job post divorce and life has been pretty incredible since. Coming off orders soon though to knock out my off-probation checkride, but when I figured out my “break even” point, Alert vs. SWA, I will have to be a 5 year FO before I start losing money on Alert... that puts me so close to an AD military retirement that it would be stupid to walk away from the O-5 pension. I just need Alert to hang on for a little while longer.

• Upvote 1

Jaysus!  I didn't know that tanker alert was title 10. WTFO???  (great deal for you guys - we need that!)

Yeah, I don’t understand how there can be so much disparity among units doing the same job just with different MWS.

21 hours ago, Duck said:

Yeah! Early retirement eligible and also TAMP-180 (I think that’s the right term).

We used to get TAMP, but that went away with when we lost the three for ones....thanks a lot Fresno!

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Confirmed, Boeing does not offer differential pay for OTS or UPT. Double checking Northrop's policy too.

Where are you finding this info? I am kinda on the same boat. I am TBD on training dates and I am not sure which companies offer differential pay, looking to maybe jump ship from current employer.