Want fighters, age limited?

Time to join the club. I'm still waiting for that coveted fighter interview! I know if I can just get one then I can sweep the board off its feet and get hired. Just one chance. Here are the scores

Age 31

P 92 N 66 AA 45 V 68 Q 33

PCSM 99

Flight Hours 73 - PPL

GPA 3.67 Germanic Studies

LORS A sergeant in the Army, a Lieutenant in the Air Force, and my supervisor.

I'm working real estate right now but I really want to serve my country, but only in a fighter. It might sound bad but if I don't get fighters then I do NOT want to be in the military, I would find another way to serve my country. My scores are pretty strong and GPA is really good but my age is the weakest part of my package. Do I stand a chance? Are there any particular units who are sympathetic to older guys such as myself? I just want one shot....

numbers look pretty good. Have you spent time visiting squadrons yet? If not, that will be the biggest thing you can do to stand out in a good way. Also, dont limit yourself...apply everywhere and visit as many as you can...and dont forget to bring copious amounts of whiskey to every visit 😉 Good luck brother!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

Time to join the club. I'm still waiting for that coveted fighter interview! I know if I can just get one then I can sweep the board off its feet and get hired. Just one chance. Here are the scores

Age 31

P 92 N 66 AA 45 V 68 Q 33

PCSM 99

Flight Hours 73 - PPL

GPA 3.67 Germanic Studies

LORS A sergeant in the Army, a Lieutenant in the Air Force, and my supervisor.

I'm working real estate right now but I really want to serve my country, but only in a fighter. It might sound bad but if I don't get fighters then I do NOT want to be in the military, I would find another way to serve my country. My scores are pretty strong and GPA is really good but my age is the weakest part of my package. Do I stand a chance? Are there any particular units who are sympathetic to older guys such as myself? I just want one shot....

Not to be a jerk, but you’ll need to consider retaking the AFOQT. Majority of competitive fighter applicants have 90s across the board, not just in the Pilot category.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

numbers look pretty good. Have you spent time visiting squadrons yet? If not, that will be the biggest thing you can do to stand out in a good way. Also, dont limit yourself...apply everywhere and visit as many as you can...and dont forget to bring copious amounts of whiskey to every visit 😉 Good luck brother!

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking out on all fighters websites and contacting them to visit. I'm not letting anything get past me and hoping to put my best foot forward for each and every unit.

6 minutes ago, cagg011 said:

Not to be a jerk, but you’ll need to consider retaking the AFOQT. Majority of competitive fighter applicants have 90s across the board, not just in the Pilot category.

I've already taken it twice so I've exhausted that option. It is really risky because even if I took it again I'm never guaranteed that I would score higher. I've been told my PCSM, pilot, and GPA can thrust me through my other bad scores on the AFOQT. I just want to show up humble and ready to explain I'm ready to learn anything and everything and give it my best. My lower scores certainly don't define me as a person, I just hope I'm able to explain it well enough to get an interview!

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking out on all fighters websites and contacting them to visit. I'm not letting anything get past me and hoping to put my best foot forward for each and every unit.

I've already taken it twice so I've exhausted that option. It is really risky because even if I took it again I'm never guaranteed that I would score higher. I've been told my PCSM, pilot, and GPA can thrust me through my other bad scores on the AFOQT. I just want to show up humble and ready to explain I'm ready to learn anything and everything and give it my best. My lower scores certainly don't define me as a person, I just hope I'm able to explain it well enough to get an interview!

boom...and this is what people are looking for. Don't be a douche and be the best you that you can be when you meet these folks or they will see right through the BS. I've seen people get hired at a fighter squadron with lower scores, but it's the whole person concept that will get you hired.

12 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

boom...and this is what people are looking for. Don't be a douche and be the best you that you can be when you meet these folks or they will see right through the BS. I've seen people get hired at a fighter squadron with lower scores, but it's the whole person concept that will get you hired.

Have you really? That gives me a lot of hope, though I feel as my age is really the biggest limiting factor. I'm hoping it can be overcome though.

For reference, it's definitely an uphill climb.  You would not be competitive for an interview in our squadron.  (age and scores) Like someone else mentioned there are a lot of younger applicants with better scores.  

BTW, no one knows what it's like to be a fighter pilot except fighter pilots.  I guarantee it's not what you think it is.  Saying you are only interested in flying fighters is short sided at best.  I'd overhaul that attitude - even if you only apply to fighter units.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, DesperateApplicant said:

Have you really? That gives me a lot of hope, though I feel as my age is really the biggest limiting factor. I'm hoping it can be overcome though.

It's not common, and I encourage you to consider @EvilEagle's advice. You are fighting an uphill battle. Some squadrons may be more receptive than others, but if you are only putting your eggs in one basket you may find out that you could have gotten a job somewhere else in another airframe sooner.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

For reference, it's definitely an uphill climb.  You would not be competitive for an interview in our squadron.  (age and scores) Like someone else mentioned there are a lot of younger applicants with better scores.  

BTW, no one knows what it's like to be a fighter pilot except fighter pilots.  I guarantee it's not what you think it is.  Saying you are only interested in flying fighters is short sided at best.  I'd overhaul that attitude - even if you only apply to fighter units.  

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't be applying to Louisiana just because the location is not nice but I do completely understand that in my circumstances I cannot be picky. I am actually considering the active duty route now because of this uphill battle. Maybe it would behoove me to grind it out in UPT and secure the fighter slot instead of the guard as of right now. Transfer back into guard or reserves when I have more experience.

1 hour ago, JustHangingOut said:

It's not common, and I encourage you to consider @EvilEagle's advice. You are fighting an uphill battle. Some squadrons may be more receptive than others, but if you are only putting your eggs in one basket you may find out that you could have gotten a job somewhere else in another airframe sooner.

I'm afraid you may be right. Although fighters was a lifelong dream of mine, I might have to consider that I have a different calling. TBH there are other really cool platforms that aren't fighters as well. I'm going to seriously consider all of this and weigh my options. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Downvote 8

22 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

I wouldn't be applying to Louisiana just because the location is not nice

22 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

fighters was a lifelong dream of mine

31 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

I am actually considering the active duty route now

so you only want to fly fighters - but you're not willing to be stationed in certain places because they aren't "nice"  - got it.

Applying to active duty will be the best option for that! 

goodluck BRO

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I know what you mean about turning down flying F-15s with the Louisiana Guard. They are definitely not even close to being acceptable or even worth applying to.

I mean I turned down a BJ from a 9 the other day just because she wasn’t a 10.

Live your dream man, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

Looks like there are hurt feelings on here. It's an opinion, I don't want to live in the south.

It’s not hurt feelings, it just looks ridiculous when you say flying fighters is a dream and you know you can’t be picky, then say that you aren’t going to apply for units in the south (which is like a third of the guard/reserve fighter units that actually hire off the street).

Then you go on to say you’re thinking AD, which gives you even less control over living in places that aren’t “nice”.

And it looks even worse when Eagle is nice enough to give you the time of day to give advice and your response is basically, “well I wouldn’t want to work with you anyway”.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, DesperateApplicant said:

Looks like there are hurt feelings on here. It's an opinion, I don't want to live in the south.

So where did you deploy with the Army and what was your job if you don't mind my asking? I know after a deployment I was thankful to be able to live pretty much anywhere in the good old USA with running water and a toilet. LOL

Never been a fighter pilot but I know it does take a lot of different moving parts in the military  to "prevent war if possible and win a war if necessary" which is what we ultimately all strive to do. Hope you find the place that works for you.

All deference to Duck but I've never turned down a BJ no matter where she was on the scale😎

So where did you deploy with the Army and what was your job if you don't mind my asking? I know after a deployment I was thankful to be able to live pretty much anywhere in the good old USA with running water and a toilet. LOL
Never been a fighter pilot but I know it does take a lot of different moving parts in the military  to "prevent war if possible and win a war if necessary" which is what we ultimately all strive to do. Hope you find the place that works for you.
All deference to Duck but I've never turned down a BJ no matter where she was on the scale

Nor have I young one, nor have I...

• Haha 1

Hard truth: low chances at fighters in the ARC (scores, age, LOR sources meh); recommend open the aperture to heavies with a side of attitude change. Or you can not fly jets at all and keep riding the real estate desk to retirement, your call.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 8/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, DesperateApplicant said:

I'd rather fly fighters in the south than show up to airshows in the north saying, "I always wanted to be a fighter pilot, but..."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yeah so I would wager you all voted for Hillary Clinton in the election cause you all sound like a bunch of whipped liberal leftists. If I knew any better than I would say you guys probably aren't even fighter pilots and pose as them on the internet to seem cool because you missed out on the dream. You all are a bunch of self entitled pricks who are extremely negative and extremely discouraging. Why would I even want to be your wingman? You all seem like God's gift to the world. Enjoy your lives! If you're living the dream then you certainly wouldn't be spending the enormous amounts of time on this website spreading horrible negativity and spend more time studying how to fly fighter jets better. I wish you all the best and I hope to never see you in real life, that would be a huge disappointment. 

• Downvote 12

13 minutes ago, DesperateApplicant said:

If you're living the dream then you certainly wouldn't be spending the enormous amounts of time on this website

I'm not even gonna touch the rest of it but this part... God forbid they want to share their experience and expertise to help people through the process and have a low tolerance for bullshit. Also, this forum isn't just for hopefuls, there's other reasons to be here than to cater to choosing beggars. 

Hard truth: low chances at fighters in the ARC (scores, age, LOR sources meh); recommend open the aperture to heavies with a side of attitude change. Or you can not fly jets at all and keep riding the real estate desk to retirement, your call.

I agree with the LOR comment. I would recommend NOT having an LT write you anything. I am an 1LT prior enlisted prior warrant... but even with a good background, some field grade officers will think of LTs as overpaid privates waiting to get lost. If you know any field grades, shot for those LORs. In the ANG & AFRC, you can’t hardly move a brome 3 inches without hitting 3 Lt. Cols and 5 Majs.
But If your sooooooo set on flying a gun and putting Steele on target, go join the army. They will be more than happy to move you to beautiful Fort Drum NY to fly apaches. All the snow you can get and plenty of time to hang out w the ole red-X hanger queen.
Cheers

3 hours ago, DesperateApplicant said:

Yeah so I would wager you all voted for Hillary Clinton in the election cause you all sound like a bunch of whipped liberal leftists. If I knew any better than I would say you guys probably aren't even fighter pilots and pose as them on the internet to seem cool because you missed out on the dream. You all are a bunch of self entitled pricks who are extremely negative and extremely discouraging. Why would I even want to be your wingman? You all seem like God's gift to the world. Enjoy your lives! If you're living the dream then you certainly wouldn't be spending the enormous amounts of time on this website spreading horrible negativity and spend more time studying how to fly fighter jets better. I wish you all the best and I hope to never see you in real life, that would be a huge disappointment. 

Pipe down, snowflake.

• Haha 1