Degradation of SUPT

Merle Dixon

UPT 2.5 will be taught by the PIT squadrons. PTN is taught by Det 24 on the T-6 side.

Is Det 24 still at KAUS or has it moved? If one were to PCS to RND for T-6s, who decides whether they go to the 559th or Det 24?

-9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nineline said:

Is Det 24 still at KAUS or has it moved? If one were to PCS to RND for T-6s, who decides whether they go to the 559th or Det 24?

-9-

Det 24 is at Randolph. No idea who owns the billets for PTN, whether AFPC/White jets or AETC/Illuminati.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 7:18 AM, tarheelaviator said:

"Chief of Staff Gen. Dave Goldfein also told Air Force Times in 2018 that he wanted to “set the throttle” at producing about 1,400 to 1,500 new pilots each year, and leave it there."

flying around at max has been great for the T-6

• Like 1

For those of us that didn’t do Air Force UPT, how fast is this in comparison to non-PTN?

I wouldn’t bother trying to compare. A UPT student would still be in the academic phase on training day 25...wouldn’t even have touch an airplane yet.

~Bendy

Im guessing that is training days since hitting the line not since starting academics. But I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

That can’t be right because when I went through I did my $ ride then like the next week was X Mas Break and then I soloed at like the end of January so that would have been like 20 days on the flight line.

I think this is comparable to the old initial solo, but keep in mind the legacy initial solo was a 0.3 sortie of 2, maybe 3 normal landings. And you were only cleared for that after you demonstrated the fact that you wouldn’t kill yourself to an IP in the same aircraft in the same exact conditions. You wouldn’t even get out of the plane. The IP would hop out, shake your hand, and watch you taxi back out. Now the initial solo is closer to the area solo of yesteryear.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Not UPT but I heard rumor of some contract fliers at KRND for IFF

There are contract civilians teaching in the IFF squadron, but not the contracted out UPT referenced above. The IFF guys are previous fighter IPs and function in the IFF squadron like a normal IP, just with beards and/or long hair.

Contractors have been flying with IFF at Columbus for at least a year now. Most were former 49th IPs who either retired or separated and just put on the tan bag and grew a beard. 

Last I’d heard, the idea of a contractor gig on the UPT side has pretty much died in the water…I guess 19th still thinks “we got this!” 🙄