Jump to content

Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)


Recommended Posts

She will not get per diem unless she is on your TDY orders. I did this in 14. I took 2 kids to PIT with me. I continued to collect my BAH from Alaska the entire time. I rented a house for the on base lodging rate. They told me I was not entitled to a TLF because they were not on my TDY orders. They were authorized the cost to go direct to my follow on duty station. Any cost beyond that amount was on me.

For your case I don't know how they will do it since you stop receiving OHA when you depart. You may receive the BAH II rate.

Remember you are authorized 600 pounds TDY shipment.

I will answer more questions if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A special snowflake such as you needs to be immediately identified by your chain of command, so be sure to call your commander before you show up. Ask him to start working on an exemption to policy (

If you do that, you're almost guaranteed to be promoted. 

WE are WAITING to get paid Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

That's completely up to you. The real question is "will she be on the TDY orders?" This will determine your pay and justification for a TLF. Most likely it will not be because the AF doesn't want to pay that extra $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am doing something similar to this, OCONUS to CONUS with a TDY enroute. They don't get per diem while you are TDY.  They should be on your orders due to the pcs w/ TDY enroute. As long as they are you can get a TLF and have it paid for. As for shipping your car, you should get the letter saying they will ship it to Seattle, which should be the closest port to Fairchild. From there when you drop off the car you can tell the VPC that you would like it shipped to Dallas, or where ever since Seattle is the farthest and going to cost the most. I did this and they had no problems with sending the car to Dallas. Now if you can send it early to have it waiting on you that would be best, due to the fact that you probably won't get any time off to go get it and rental cars ere aren't cheap for long term. 

As to the unaccompanied baggage. I hope that TMO will give your family the weight allowance. TMO at ETAR wouldn't due to they said they aren't on my TDY enroute orders, which they were. I ended up doing a small household goods shipment to the TDY locale with the stuff we needed due to the baby coming and that stuff wasn't allowed in the unaccompanied shipment. Plus my TDY is long enough where my stuff is in long term storage versus sitting at my pcs location then getting put into storage. Also if you are shipping alcohol then you will need all the paperwork, but you can't put it in your long term storage. Which helped out with me sending it to my TDY local with the small household goods shipment. 

You will get the BAH 2 rate till you check in to the new base to get that BAH rate. 

Hope this helps. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's completely up to you.

Is it for sure? There are several TDYs  that are not allowed to be accompanied. I don't know about altus, but I know about others that aren't, which the AF  essentially responds with "not our problem, maybe your wife and kids should live with her parents."

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cragspider said:

Now if you can send it early to have it waiting on you that would be best, due to the fact that you probably won't get any time off to go get it and rental cars ere aren't cheap for long term.

If the time is completely taken up by necessary TDY classes, unlikely you won't get any time off.  But any break in classes or showing up early you can go pick up your car.  Picking up your car is a normal duty day, not permissive, not leave.  You don't get per diem, but when you file your PCS travel voucher, they'll pay you round trip mileage from your duty station to the nearest port.  From a TDY station, you'll probably get the lesser of round trip TDY to port or PCS base to port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smokin said:

If the time is completely taken up by necessary TDY classes, unlikely you won't get any time off.  But any break in classes or showing up early you can go pick up your car.  Picking up your car is a normal duty day, not permissive, not leave.  You don't get per diem, but when you file your PCS travel voucher, they'll pay you round trip mileage from your duty station to the nearest port.  From a TDY station, you'll probably get the lesser of round trip TDY to port or PCS base to port.

That is true if you are in a normal squadron. But if you are in training they won't/don't have to  give you the time off. Now if you have free day then go get the car. I only say this because I have had it happen both times I was shipping/picking up my car from the VPC's while in training.  

Edited by cragspider
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On April 3, 2016 at 4:26 PM, duncanoc said:

Every link I've found for estimates for DITY moves is broken. Do any of you have correct links to an online estimater? How much could I make hauling a 7x14 trailer full of stuff 1000 miles?

Depends on the weight. I think it's something like 50 cents a pound, but that's taxed at 27% or so. Plus your 52 cents a mile or whatever the going rate is now a days for mileage. Add in your per diem and DLA as applicable and you can make a good bit of cash if you own the trailer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Every link I've found for estimates for DITY moves is broken. Do any of you have correct links to an online estimater? How much could I make hauling a 7x14 trailer full of stuff 1000 miles?

Depends on the weight. I think it's something like 50 cents a pound, but that's taxed at 27% or so. Plus your 52 cents a mile or whatever the going rate is now a days for mileage. Add in your per diem and DLA as applicable and you can make a good bit of cash if you own the trailer. 

You are initially charged that higher tax rate but come refund season you get it reduced to your normal tax bracket via a refund

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I'm currently on a 240 day PCS order set that consists of MPA days. I've been told I'm entitled to a PCS move which I thought was fantastic since I am moving next month and started the paperwork for the local PCS move. However, the lady that is processing the paperwork told me I am not eligible since my orders don't have Household Goods accounting line on them. Do I have any recourse or am I pretty much SOL? Thanks!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BTLFlyer said:

I'm currently on a 240 day PCS order set that consists of MPA days. I've been told I'm entitled to a PCS move which I thought was fantastic since I am moving next month and started the paperwork for the local PCS move. However, the lady that is processing the paperwork told me I am not eligible since my orders don't have Household Goods accounting line on them. Do I have any recourse or am I pretty much SOL? Thanks!!

Doesn't this fall under JTR para. 5066, relief from active duty? I would imagine that you're entitled to the cost of transportation to your HOR or PLEAD, whichever is further, and doesn't have to be on your orders because it's a JTR entitlement. Can any Reservists speak to this? I'm curious myself as someone that plans to be a Reservist in a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hijack the thread. Question for the informed masses.

Getting PCS'd at the same time my 1APZ board meets. Can I have my HHG shipped anywhere I want them? I am planning on rolling the dice and moving the wife and kids and my HHGs to my ANG unit while I check in to my AD PCS location just to separate a couple weeks later after the board results are released.

I realize that the AF will pay for one more move to your HOR upon separation, but I'd rather just put my family in place and start planting roots.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried the Google machine, but just looking for some updated info on the "I just left Active Duty and have a final PCS move to X location."  How long is that move good for and how/can it be extended?  i.e. maybe some guard/reserve time in current location for a couple years, then move to a final destination?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm PCSing soon and TLF only has 1 bedroom available. They claim that my family of 5 will fit because they have an air mattress for us to use (free of charge). I asked for a non A but was denied. Does anyone know where the new JTR will tell me if it is my right to get a non A? If no non A is given can I still get reimbursed $60 a day for finding a better place? I'd be happy to pay a little out of pocket to not give Air Force inns my business.


Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gonefishin said:

I'm PCSing soon and TLF only has 1 bedroom available. They claim that my family of 5 will fit because they have an air mattress for us to use (free of charge). I asked for a non A but was denied. Does anyone know where the new JTR will tell me if it is my right to get a non A? If no non A is given can I still get reimbursed $60 a day for finding a better place? I'd be happy to pay a little out of pocket to not give Air Force inns my business.


Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Tell them your kids have allergies and cannot sleep on an air mattress due to the chemicals in the plastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hatedont said:

Tell them your kids have allergies and cannot sleep on an air mattress due to the chemicals in the plastic.

20 bucks says lodging comes back with "then put them on your bed and YOU take the air mattress."

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You will get reimbursed up to whatever the lodging rate is if you go off base. If they only have one room available have a friend call and book it. Then call and get your non A. Then have your friend call and cancel the room. Boom. Unless I misunderstood your post and they have multiple one bedrooms left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...