Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

• 1 month later...

Has anyone departed OCONUS back to the States prior to their PDD and DEROS month? My PDD is 2 July and has us travelling during the Canada and U.S. holidays (their version is called Canada Day, original, right?). I talked to my assignments counselor, but didn't get a warm fuzzy. Depending on TMO dates, I expect that we can leave Canada on 29 Jun. It'll take too long to change my DEROS month. Can I take leave prior to my PDD so I can depart earlier and will this affect per diem and other associated PCS costs if we accomplish all of our travel while on leave? Has anyone heard from FinanceGuy lately?

1 hour ago, polcat said:

Can I take leave prior to my PDD so I can depart earlier and will this affect per diem and other associated PCS costs if we accomplish all of our travel while on leave?

I don't believe so, and leave status will affect travel entitlements.

Double check, but I don't believe the assignments AFI permits departure from current duty station prior to DEROS month without GO level approval.

I don't recall the specifics of the leave AFI's mention of leave beginning and ending in local area, or if the AFI address leave in-conjunction with PCS.

JTR address leave status during travel status, essentially your JTR entitlements pause while leave interrupts your travel status.

The gaining MPF will want a hard date you departed last duty station (final out'd your current duty station), and will possibly throw a flag if that date is before your DEROS month, or while you are in leave status.  

Finance will want to know when to charge you leave versus travel days.

I believe in order for the plan to work your current orderly room folks would have to process your leave, to include inputting a return date...then they would have to input your departed last duty station date (final out), which would have to be the day after your leave return date AND be in your DEROS month...your travel day entitlements will begin the day after your final out.

Signing in from leave and final-ing out your last duty station while you are on the road to your next duty station will probably raise some eyebrows. 

My knowledge on all this is dated but I researched it all when I left my assignment in Canada eight years ago. 

That's what I figured. I looked at the regs and JTR and came to the same conclusion. Oh well. At least the weather is nice up here! It's a good problem to have, since my C-130J requal is driving the early July PDD.

Simple question. If you are going to receive an assignment to work in west San Antonio, where is a good place to live? Just as a point of reference, Randolph is located in northeastern San Antonio. Friends have told me to get a place downtown, but I was told by a SNCO the traffic would be atrocious.

Question: On CONUS to CONUS PCS can you ship one of your cars.  My wife is going to have a baby 5 weeks prior to our PCS and it would be much easier to just ship her car vs. driving with a little one or coming back and driving twice.  I looked in the JFTR and 36-2110 and couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for any advice.

Simple question. If you are going to receive an assignment to work in west San Antonio, where is a good place to live? Just as a point of reference, Randolph is located in northeastern San Antonio. Friends have told me to get a place downtown, but I was told by a SNCO the traffic would be atrocious.

Downtown traffic isn’t bad at all. Your SNCO is misinformed. You’ll be going against traffic if you work normal hours.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, ihtfp06 said:

Downtown traffic isn’t bad at all. Your SNCO is misinformed. You’ll be going against traffic if you work normal hours.

Thank you. That would make sense because he stayed downtown but had to commute to Randolph. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

7 hours ago, asdf said:

Question: On CONUS to CONUS PCS can you ship one of your cars.  My wife is going to have a baby 5 weeks prior to our PCS and it would be much easier to just ship her car vs. driving with a little one or coming back and driving twice.  I looked in the JFTR and 36-2110 and couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for any advice.

I believe your only recourse for full reimbursement is writing a request to SAF (the "secretariat process" as the JTR calls it). In the memo, explain the untimely PCS wrt the baby, the financial burden (airfare after first car if you do it twice, airline tickets, etc.) I can only speculate on the probability of approval, but it's worth a shot. I thought about doing this, but honestly didn't have a very good argument since the car I have shipped on multiple PCS is a hobby car/not a primary driver.

If this fails, you do still get mileage for the second car (and more per diem for your family if they travel separately via air while you drive one of the cars). That money can at least offset the shipping charges if you choose to do so for QOL. Also research shippers, do not go with some random guy and a flatbed trailer (there's a lot), it's worth it to spend a little more and get your car undamaged and on time.

Edited by brabus
Edit: Gov will pay for airline tickets if you go that route, so you could argue it'll save the govt money by not purchasing tickets/you all traveling together (less per diem paid out).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A quick question after few to many alcoholic beverages and nothing from the search function and too lazy to scan the JFTR while buzzed. A upcoming PCS has most likely been delayed for my family for 4-6 months, and we are going from a pretty shitty location to a pretty nice location.  If I buy i house at our new location and move the family down ahead of time (before our PCS orders, and full DITY) can I still get reimbursed or is that a violation of the JTR since we didn’t have orders when I moved the family? 

A.  General.  Ordinarily, travel that occurs before an order is issued is at personal expense and no reimbursement is authorized.  However, a Service member is authorized dependent travel and transportation allowances for dependent travel that occurs before a PCS order is issued but after the Service member has been advised that such an order would be issued.  The Service member must be otherwise eligible for dependent travel and transportation allowances.      

B.  Conditions.  General information provided to the Service member concerning order issuance before the determination is made to actually issue the order (such as time of eventual release from active duty, when the service-term expires, retirement eligibility date, or expected rotation date) is not advice that an order will be issued.  Any travel voucher for travel occurring before a PCS order is issued must be supported by a statement from the PCS AO or designated representative, that the Service member was advised that the order would be issued, and must cite this paragraph as authority for payment.  Transportation must not be provided before a PCS order is issued.  

BLUF: You can be reimbursed provided you "have been advised the order will be issued" and cite JTR 050403.

7 minutes ago, Breckey said:

BLUF: You can be reimbursed provided you "have been advised the order will be issued" and cite JTR 050403.

So to keep things short, I was a UPT direct to RPAs, I have been “notified” by my commander of my manned follow on assignment, as well as the other first 30 UPT directs from the 2015/16 UPT/RPA fuckery. It basically worked like a FAIP drop.  Only “official” notification we have gotten so far is our T-1 refresher dates. Nothing on Vmpf. I would say it’s the equilivant of a UPT stud getting there assignment on assignment night and waiting for orders. Does that CC notification count that the order will be issued? I would much rather my family be out of the shithole that is eastern NM and at our follow location closer to civilization and family.  

So to keep things short, I was a UPT direct to RPAs, I have been “notified” by my commander of my manned follow on assignment, as well as the other first 30 UPT directs from the 2015/16 UPT/RPA ery. It basically worked like a FAIP drop.  Only “official” notification we have gotten so far is our T-1 refresher dates. Nothing on Vmpf. I would say it’s the equilivant of a UPT stud getting there assignment on assignment night and waiting for orders. Does that CC notification count that the order will be issued? I would much rather my family be out of the shithole that is eastern NM and at our follow location closer to civilization and family.  

How long does the T-1 refresher take? What airframe are you going to? I’d wait until you at least have a RIP before making any moves.

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

How long does the T-1 refresher take? What airframe are you going to? I’d wait until you at least have a RIP before making any moves.

Projected 35 training days/51 TDY days, out and back from current location. Also a outback from current location for SERE.  U-28s to Hurlburt. (My number 2 of 30 ish choices, I’ll give it to AFPC, seems like they really tried to get everyone in my group something in their top 5).  

That is kinda what I am leaning toward. Wife is anxious to GTFO out of Clovis, especially knowing at some point we will probably be back. Trying to look at all the options. 

• 1 month later...

BLUF: Looking to understand the muscle movements of scheduling a partial DITY in AFRC.

Situation: Currently a TR troughing at one location in the MDS I flew in RegAF. Am moving to a new unit at a new base in December to fly a different MDS. B-Course for new MDS is at the same base my new unit is at, and B-Course is greater than 20 weeks long. I'll be gained at the unit in mid-December, put on some sort of status (not yet clear), and start the B-Course in mid-January. I understand that whatever AD orders I get for the B-Course will incur PCS entitlements per the JTR since it is > 140 days long. I also understand I'll be entitled to DLA since I'll be on active duty for more than 20 weeks at one location, am authorized PCS allowances, and will move my dependent to my new base. What I have in hand from the gaining unit is my "Intent to hire" letter, and as of last week they have my 1288 with first endorsement signed. Not sure of current status but it isn't in PRDA yet with the 3rd endorsement, so guessing my gain has not yet been projected in MilPDS. Should be done soon though.

What I'm not sure about: From talking to the hiring guy at gaining unit, it sounds like I'll be on one set of orders when I first arrive (guessing RPA since I can't do a ton to help our TFI partner not being qualified in the jet), and a different set for the B-Course. I'm 90% sure I won't be entitled to PCS allowances until I have orders in hand for the B-Course, but from talking to our hiring guy it also sounds like those can't be generated until I'm gained by the unit.

BL: Is there any way to schedule movers before I'm actually gained by the unit (assuming they can't generate my B-Course orders until then)... i.e. "letter in lieu of orders"? Or is there a general PCS entitlement for switching AFRC units regardless of length of AD orders that I'm not aware of? Or do I have to get to the unit, couch surf, get my B-Course orders, then schedule a TSP through TMO at my losing base? (FWIW, we weren't planning on having our current home available for renters until February 1st, so this *IS* an option albeit a much less desirable one.)

Edited by Disco_Nav963
Added amplifying data on 1288 status

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I'm a reservist  at UPT currently living in the dorms, getting BAH for my home location based upon still having a house there while I'm in training. My Guard friend here in the same situation isn't getting BAH, period, much less BAH for where he's paying a mortgage while in training. Does anyone know what reg is allowing me to do this, and if there's any reason it would/wouldn't apply to a Guard student? We're talking something like a $25k difference in pay over the course of UPT, for no reason I can figure.

Is your family back home? If you are single, then PCS means you either get BAH for UPT location or if living in the dorms, you get zip. Doesn't matter that you own a house. If you were at UPT in TDY status, that'd be different.

If he's single, then this sounds correct (as much as it sucks, but from the AF POV, they didn't force him to buy/keep the house).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, brabus said:

I believe your only recourse for full reimbursement is writing a request to SAF (the "secretariat process" as the JTR calls it). In the memo, explain the untimely PCS wrt the baby, the financial burden (airfare after first car if you do it twice, airline tickets, etc.) I can only speculate on the probability of approval, but it's worth a shot. I thought about doing this, but honestly didn't have a very good argument since the car I have shipped on multiple PCS is a hobby car/not a primary driver.

If this fails, you do still get mileage for the second car (and more per diem for your family if they travel separately via air while you drive one of the cars). That money can at least offset the shipping charges if you choose to do so for QOL. Also research shippers, do not go with some random guy and a flatbed trailer (there's a lot), it's worth it to spend a little more and get your car undamaged and on time.

Along these lines, making a PCS from west coast to east coast. We want to ship one car and fly the wife and kid ahead to family while I make the drive in our other car with the dogs. I get the mileage reimbursement for the shipped car. I wasn’t aware they would pay for airline tickets. How does per diem work for my wife and kid? Is it a constructed travel cost type deal (won’t reimburse past what they’d pay in total cost for a drive etc)? I’ve dug through here and the JTR but looking for first hand experience to be able to throw the bullshit flag at Finance.

The AF will pay for all of you to fly, regardless of car situation. Seeing as you have a car, you can drive it and are owed mileage plus per diem based on the alloted travel days. Your family gets, I think, 75% of your per diem rate since they're traveling separately. There's a table in the JTR that discusses dependent per diem options...I think it's 50% if they travel with you same day, and there's also an age component for kids.

I did exactly what you want to do on my last PCS - Finance had no issues and it didn't seem like a weird situation to them. It's been 1.5 years so I don't remember specific paragraphs, but it's all in there. You may need to look at separate sections of the PCS part and combine them to get your answer (i.e. they may not reference each other).

5 hours ago, brabus said:

The AF will pay for all of you to fly, regardless of car situation. Seeing as you have a car, you can drive it and are owed mileage plus per diem based on the alloted travel days. Your family gets, I think, 75% of your per diem rate since they're traveling separately. There's a table in the JTR that discusses dependent per diem options...I think it's 50% if they travel with you same day, and there's also an age component for kids.

I did exactly what you want to do on my last PCS - Finance had no issues and it didn't seem like a weird situation to them. It's been 1.5 years so I don't remember specific paragraphs, but it's all in there. You may need to look at separate sections of the PCS part and combine them to get your answer (i.e. they may not reference each other)

Did you book your tickets through TMO? Did your dependents get paid for only the day they traveled? I'm flying them to family versus the next duty location since I'm taking leave enroute.

I booked them myself (with SA on govt max reimbursement). They will only get paid for day of travel (we didn't stop anywhere enroute). So they should receive one day's worth of per diem (at 75% of your rate) regardless if they fly straight to or stay for a week somewhere else enroute.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

They gonna fleece you GI

The google says not much, maybe a collection agency but they can’t do much in the US.  It also says you’ll have it hanging over your head for 5 years, planning on going back?

Edited by matmacwc

They gonna fleece you GI
The google says not much, maybe a collection agency but they can’t do much in the US.  It also says you’ll have it hanging over your head for 5 years, planning on going back?

I’m only worried about the US side of things since posted are thru the base.

European Governments can’t even keep out undesired illegals let alone will they shun tourist dollars should I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app