Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

I've got a question about relocating dependents before a deployment. When I volunteered for a 365, the tasking letter stated "I understand that I have an entitlement to relocate my dependents and household goods (HHGs) at the government expense". My question is whether or not I will get travel days, mileage reimbursement, or DLA? Anyone have experience with this?

I've got a question about relocating dependents before a deployment. When I volunteered for a 365, the tasking letter stated "I understand that I have an entitlement to relocate my dependents and household goods (HHGs) at the government expense". My question is whether or not I will get travel days, mileage reimbursement, or DLA? Anyone have experience with this?

Try this. It has most of the answers.

Indeterminate_TDY_Entitlements.pdf

Coming up I'll be PCSing cross country to Laughlin AFB to begin my 4 months casual. I tried calling Rome AFB but they didn't really answer any of my questions. I apologize ahead of time if any of my information or assumptions are messed up, I've literally had 0 guidance besides a few buddies and these forums.

1. I'm moving down to the same base, on the same day as a buddy of mine and we are trying to collaborate. Apparently Rome said that we could not take down the same Uhaul and that we need to take down two separate ones because we cannot mess with the "weigh ins". I tried explaining that we could weigh it empty, weight it with his stuff, then weigh it with mine, then do a little bit of math to figure out how much each of our stuff weighed... but he said that the AF frowns upon this.

2. Another problem is that we both don't really own a whole lot (so two uhauls is retarded) and our vehicle situations are a little tricky. He has a big truck that he could fit a majority of his things in, but not everything. I have two door convertible that can fit next to nothing, so I would need a Uhaul regardless. We were thinking that the most efficient way to get down there would be to rent one uhaul with a trailer, put my car on the trailer, and have him drive his truck down. This now does not seem possible because according to the folks at Rome, we cannot mix and match. With gas prices and the US trying to go 'green', it seems ridiculous that they're making us take down more vehicles than we need.

3. From everything that I've read/heard, you actually make money by moving your stuff down. I feel like because I don't own a whole lot, and would have to get a Uhaul big enough to pull a trailer (that apparently I have to pay for), I'm going to be losing money?

4. Apparently Rome's moving service only pays for the cost of moving an exact weight, and nothing else... is this correct? Also, Finances at Laughlin will deal with the reimbursement of gas/food/lodging? Does this count for both vehicles (my car/Uhaul)? Or, does this cover only the Uhaul, therefore transporting my car via rented trailer will be straight out of my pocket?

5. Regarding my friends stuff, can I just put his stuff that doesn't fit in his truck into the uhaul and call it my own? This makes the most sense to me but I'm sure this is some sort of integrity violation.

I really don't know what my best options are here. Can anyone chime in and guide me based on their own experiences? Sorry about the incoherent nature of this post, I'm in the process of moving out of my college town to my HOR.

Got the email saying they are going to pay me for my move (yey) but have a question.

They give my "Dity Entitlements" number and then subtract a "FITW." What is that?

I didn't get any advances or anything so curious why they are taking about 1/5 of the money.

FITW = Federal Income Tax Withheld

Got the email saying they are going to pay me for my move (yey) but have a question.

They give my "Dity Entitlements" number and then subtract a "FITW." What is that?

I didn't get any advances or anything so curious why they are taking about 1/5 of the money.

I tried calling XXXX AFB but they didn't really answer any of my questions

Welcome to the Air Force. We've been waiting for you.

I've literally had 0 guidance

Get used to this. Only in a short time, you will get tasked with things you don't care about, the subject of which will only be used for a data point in the midst of 200+ powerpoint slides, with zero guidance, and conversations truly reminiscent of Office Space (rent it if you haven't seen it - might not be your generation's type of comedy anymore) when you "miss the mark" of the intent.... that you never received in the first place.

but he said that the AF frowns upon this.

Get used to this. Mid to upper management tends to frown on things that make sense and/or are fun.

We were thinking that the most efficient way

Jettison this way of thinking immediately. The Air Force seemingly prides itself on inefficiency.

This now does not seem possible because according to the folks at XXXX AFB...

I am willing to bet that said folks were members of this organization known as the "Mission Support" Group. You will eventually find out just how much of a play on words that organizational title it, and that you will eventually know their jobs better than they do. Arm yourself with knowledge and always show up having studied their reg with a highlighted excerpt.

it seems ridiculous

Again, welcome to the Air Force.

I feel like

No one cares about your feelings. Luck and timing are everything. There is no justice.

I'm going to be losing money?

Yes, lots of it, and you will spend countless hours gouging your eyes out in front of a computer screen, or in line at Finance, or on hold with some random "customer service" line trying to get it back.

Finances at Laughlin will deal with the reimbursement of gas/food/lodging

While this is in their mission statement, you will find that usually the last thing that they do is "deal with reimbursement of gas/food/lodging". In fact, it will eventually seem like they will do anything other than their actual job. Don't get me started on their ridiculous 10-2 office hours. In short: if we, as flyers, did our jobs as they do theirs, there would be a lot of smoldering holes in the ground.

straight out of my pocket?

If you think this initial PCS is fun, wait until you are TDY 200+ days a year. Have you ever heard of Citi Bank? How about the Government Travel Card or the Controlled Spending Account? Have fun with that....

This makes the most sense to me

That means that the Air Force will dismiss it and take the opposite and more costly course of action.

I'm sure this is some sort of integrity violation.

Ditch all of that "core values" mumbo-jumbo before you hit your first base. Those are anecdotes developed by shoe clerks. You will never hear a flyer mention those with any degree of seriousness.

Sorry about the incoherent nature of this post

Understatement of the day.

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Upvote 1

Thanks! And damn they tax that shit at a high rate. ~20% if my calculations are correct.

If you got a shit ton of taxes taken out of your DITY, then you obviously didn't provide them enough receipts from your move...or they ######ed it up.

My first DITY they taxed the entire amount instead of the profit. After they ######ed it up, I owed the government $600 for my move. Nothing like having to print the regs for some shoe who can't do their job right and having to teach them how to do it...

They should follow these basic steps to determine your tax:

1) Miles X Pounds X Rate = Incentive Payment.

2) Gas + Tolls + Rental(s) + Oil(etc) = Amount You Spent.

3) Incentive Payment - Amount You Spent = Profit.

4) Incentive Payment - (Profit X Tax Rate) = Amount They Pay You.

Taxes should not be taken from DLA.

And damn they tax that shit at a high rate. ~20% if my calculations are correct.

No, they *withhold* that shit at a high rate--probably 28%, not 20%. The actual taxes you end up paying on it will depend on your overall tax situation at year's end. In other words, unless you need the money "right now," there's no sense in worrying about it--it will come out in the wash when you file, and the excess withheld will reduce your taxes owed/increase your refund, as applicable....

SUBJECT: UTD/CTD for MAP 58-11(I)/CAP 73-11(I) -- PCS MALT Rate Effective 1 July 2011

1. SYNOPSIS: Change PCS MALT rate from 19 cents to 23.5 cents per mile effective 1 July 2011 based on IRS change and the Federal Travel Regulation §302-4.300 (41 CFR 302-4.300), indicating that the PCS MALT rate is identical to the published IRS moving expense rate.

U2605-B:

*B. MALT Rate

*1. Effective 1 July 2011, the MALT rate per authorized POC is $.235/mile. The MALT rate in effect from 1 January – 30 June 2011 was $.19/mile.

*2. The $.235/mile rate is effective for all PCS travel that commences on or after 1 July 2011 (i.e., the initial travel is started).

*3. PCS travel that commenced prior to 1 July 2011 must be paid at the old rate ($.19/mile) even if the travel was not completed until after 1 July 2011.

4. Par. U5015 clarifies general information and reimbursement ICW MALT.

NOTE 1: Regardless of the POC type used (except as described in par. U2615), this is the PCS travel MALT rate. Par. U2020 details official distance determination.

Is this still legit? I just had my finance outprocessing brief and they told us all it is still $0.19/mile (there handout had the same figure).

If you got a shit ton of taxes taken out of your DITY, then you obviously didn't provide them enough receipts from your move...or they ######ed it up.

My first DITY they taxed the entire amount instead of the profit. After they ######ed it up, I owed the government $600 for my move. Nothing like having to print the regs for some shoe who can't do their job right and having to teach them how to do it...

They should follow these basic steps to determine your tax:

1) Miles X Pounds X Rate = Incentive Payment.

2) Gas + Tolls + Rental(s) + Oil(etc) = Amount You Spent.

3) Incentive Payment - Amount You Spent = Profit.

4) Incentive Payment - (Profit X Tax Rate) = Amount They Pay You.

Taxes should not be taken from DLA.

This was actually the part of a TDY Enroute/PCS (CBM LTS SCOTT). So the only receipts I had were for gas and the empty/full weight tickets.

No, they *withhold* that shit at a high rate--probably 28%, not 20%. The actual taxes you end up paying on it will depend on your overall tax situation at year's end. In other words, unless you need the money "right now," there's no sense in worrying about it--it will come out in the wash when you file, and the excess withheld will reduce your taxes owed/increase your refund, as applicable....

Sweetness, thanks!

Is this still legit? I just had my finance outprocessing brief and they told us all it is still $0.19/mile (there handout had the same figure).

It is still legit and now in para U2605 PCS TRAVEL of the published JFTR.

Has anyone had personal experience having a single line item from non-temporary storage delivered to a consecutive NTS-authorized location? I currently have some of my stuff in NTS and will be PCSing to another NTS-authorized location, but want one line item from my storage inventory delivered to my next location. I don't know if this is authorized and/or funded. Would like to hear from someone who has tried or been successful doing the same thing. Thanks.

Edited by TMFan

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the minimum time between TDY and PCS? Looking for the reg

Combination of pre-authorized leave, travel days, and proceed time. It gets a little tricky if you're talking about R&R after a 180 or 365 or IPCOT. For that consult JFTR and individual service regulations (AFI TDY travel). Other small things like Post Mission Crew Rest can be factor as well, but that is small potatoes in the grand scheme.

Try AFI 65-114 or 65-113, but only after JFTR.

I've looked through the JFTR (not finding anything) seem to remember being told there is a minimum (30,60,or 90 days (can't remember which)) that one is entitled between returning from deployment and RNLTD of a PCS. My situation is I'm leaving for 160 days and have not been given my RNLTD of my PCS that will happen this summer. Depending on the RNLTD (b/c one hand rarely talks to the other) I want to be informed to bring up the point of either cutting the deployment short or extending the RNLTD.

I've looked through the JFTR (not finding anything) seem to remember being told there is a minimum (30,60,or 90 days (can't remember which)) that one is entitled between returning from deployment and RNLTD of a PCS. My situation is I'm leaving for 160 days and have not been given my RNLTD of my PCS that will happen this summer. Depending on the RNLTD (b/c one hand rarely talks to the other) I want to be informed to bring up the point of either cutting the deployment short or extending the RNLTD.

Nothing in the finance regs since it's not a finance matter. Personnel is the OPR. Check AFI 36-2110, Assignments, [edit to add] and/or AFI 36-2102, Base-Level Relocation Procedures

Edited by Finance_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Searched most of the threads on here and had no luck with this one either but I may have missed it so if I did I apologize ahead of time. 19 pages is tough to read through in one sitting.

Anyways, heres my situation. Graduated and Commissioned on 11 June 2011 and my EAD was delayed till 17 Feb of this year. Since my lease was up at my house back in the state of Washington at the end of June I moved out to Missouri which is where my family is. I put most of my household goods in a storage unit back in WA and it has been there ever since.

I've been working with the Whiteman AFB TMO and filling out the paperwork for a partial DITY to have them move my stuff from my storage unit in WA down to Columbus AFB and me to move my higher priced things on my own from Missouri. All was going well until they said that my address in Washington is not a valid one to ship from.

My orders state that I will depart for Active duty from here in Missouri (which is where I'm at now so that makes sense), as well as that is my Home of Record (where my parents live). The temporary address on my orders is listed as my storage unit back in WA. My NCOs at my det told me that this wouldnt be a problem but now TMO is saying I could end up paying the difference for them to ship my stuff from WA and not Missouri. Does anyone know if this is true?

I called AFPC and they said it was fine and it would be covered but TMO is still saying no. Any help would be appreciated!

TMO's first answer is always no. If they say no it is less work for them. The TMOs I have dealt with do not usually read the JFTR even though that is their governing reg. They rely on their experience, so if they haven't seen it done, they think it is illegal. You will have to show them in the JFTR that you are authorized to ship from a storage location that is not your HOR. Look through chapter 5 part D, specifically U5310 A9 and U5310 J1a. I'm sure there are more references, but that second reference says specifically that an authorized origin is a place of storage.

Question about trailers -

I'd like to rent a trailer from U-Haul or such because I can't quite fit everything in my pickup truck, and I don't want to buy one at this point. As long as I don't count the weight of the trailer, is using a rental kosher? From a lot of sites I'm getting the impression it's fine but I haven't heard of anyone doing that before.

Edited by WeagleWeagle