Information on PCS/moves/moving (DITY, TMO, DLA, storage)

SUX

Actually guys it looks like we were overreacting. It turns out they agree with me and I can live off base after all! Nothing to worry about now except finding a nice apartment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• Downvote 2

Actually guys it looks like we were overreacting. It turns out they agree with me and I can live off base after all! Nothing to worry about now except finding a nice apartment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Full of shit you are

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is kind of a complex question, search function did not give me a exact answer. 

I have a PCS, with a 130 ish day TDY en route. (Everything is CONUS) I have a copy of my orders but they are not complete with the funding info and the dependent travel info. I am assuming the TDY is going to be unaccompanied. (Ya I know what happens when you assume) My plan was to just bring the wife (and the dogs) with me and get a pet friendly TLF and pay any difference out of pocket. She is pregnant and I would rather not leave her alone for 6 months. 

1. Will TMO pick up our HHG if I schedule the appointment before we leave for the TDY, or will they only pick up closer to the report date for the PCS?

2. Doing the self brief on move.mil, I believe I am authorized NTS, and HHG, I have a truck and trailer to bring the essentials, and wanted TMO just to grab the big furniture, hold on to it for the 130 days and deliver it to our PCS location, would I want to make that a NTS shipment or HHG shipment and request they hold it for longer than 90 days?

3. If TMO picks up our stuff before we leave for the TDY, would I still be receiving BAH for the departing location and per diem for the TDY?

4. I know I am aloud 600 pounds for TDY weight. If I put 3000lbs in the truck/trailer would I get reimbursed for the 600lbs from my duty station to the TDY location, and only 600 from the TDY location to the PCS? A buddy was telling me that I would additionally get reimbursed for the full weight from the original duty station to the PCS location but I find that hard to believe. 

Appreciate any input, I am currently on a different TDY and getting any solid answers from my home location has been a**pain. 

1. If you are TDY enroute then you should completely out process your base before you head to the training base. I would guess MPF just dropped the ball on not adding your wife to the orders.

2. When I did the TDY enroute I brought everything I couldn't live without or too valuable to store and had TMO move and store the rest till I reported to my new base. I don't remember how the storing HHGs worked.

3. Yes, you'll receive your departing base's BAH rate till you report in at your next base.

4. I can't remember how it all played out exactly but yes you get reimbursed for the leaving base to TDY to final base as part of the TDY and leaving base to final base as part of the PCS. Some others or Finance Guy might be able to fill you in better with more recent experience.

I just went through a similar situation. Any weight over 600 lbs counts for a PCS PPM soooo what that means is you need a lot of weight tickets.

Think of it like a triangle with the apex'es at duty station, TDY, and new station.

You're gonna need weight ticket pairs (empty and full) for duty station to TDY. Another pair TDY to new station (both of these up to 600 lbs). The third pair will have all your weight minus whatever you used for your 600 lbs, (they want you to remove the 600 lbs). This one will be for your PCS from duty station to new station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Depends on the overseas location on if they can stay.  The AF can't tell your family where they can stay, but the host country can pull their visas when you leave.  I had this exact situation from Italy and staying was not an option because Italy would not allow their visas to be extended after I left.  They can then pick a designated location to move to.  Key highlights for your plans, you get PTDY (can't remember if travel allowance is covered or not) to move them and get them settled into the designated location.  Also, if your departure from your OCONUS base and your arrival at your remote allows less than 10 days of leave in CONUS, you get Continuous Overseas Tours travel allowed.  Meaning, if you can work your dates to only have 8 days of leave in CONUS between your tours, the AF will pay for your ticket round trip from your remote to your home of record (I think your HOR, might be the designated location, check the JTR).  Depending on your remote tour, this could save you $1K in travel costs for your midtour.  If your travel between your current base and your remote base does not take you through CONUS, the COT travel should be automatic.  Double check your orders when you get them, the travel authorization should be listed in the remarks.

Edit to add - this data is based on memory from my experience with the older JFTR, not sure what the new JTR changes, so make sure you look it up.  I guarantee the guy making your orders won't volunteer this info.

Edited by Smokin

Here's mine. I searched back a few years, but with the changes to the JTR and long-term per diem, hopefully someone has some recent experience.

I'm going OCONUS to CONUS, with a CONUS TDY-enroute. My DEROS is in May, and we are leaving the country on May 31. The class start date for the TDY enroute is 9 June.

(Mildenhall - Altus - Fairchild)

What the hell am I supposed to do with my wife? Does she get per diem and stay at Altus with me? She can't stay overseas While I'm at the TDY due to DEROS, right? Or is she just expected to go ahead to Fairchild without me? Unsurprisingly the FSS folks have been... ambiguous.

Any other warnings/advice based on past experiences with the OCONUS-TDY-CONUS PCS are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Lord Ratner

Most recent example I have is from 2012 - guy went from Ramstein - SOS - Eglin. Because it was a tdy enroute from oconus to conus, his wife/kids/pets got to accompany him to maxwell, and he got a tlf instead of a hotel room (and yes, all the per diem for being accompanied as well).    It is actually the best situation, because you get a tlf, you can have your unaccompanied baggage and your vehicle shipped to you at Altus, and your household goods go straight to Fairchild, where they *should* beat you there and be waiting for you once you arrive. 

As long as you have pcs orders with the tdy on them, and her name is on the orders as well, she gets to go with you. 

*edit - I've got a different bro who did a (I think) similar thing last summer - I'll ask him and see if he's got any gouge.

**update - said bro did go tdy enroute to sos with his wife and kids, and everything I said above was accurate. 

Edited by Motofalcon

She will not get per diem unless she is on your TDY orders. I did this in 14. I took 2 kids to PIT with me. I continued to collect my BAH from Alaska the entire time. I rented a house for the on base lodging rate. They told me I was not entitled to a TLF because they were not on my TDY orders. They were authorized the cost to go direct to my follow on duty station. Any cost beyond that amount was on me.

For your case I don't know how they will do it since you stop receiving OHA when you depart. You may receive the BAH II rate.

Remember you are authorized 600 pounds TDY shipment.

I will answer more questions if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk