GPA waiver for AF Pilot applicant

Chandler

I was referred to this forum by a current active duty AF pilot. I am currently in the end process of the AF Officer application process and currently have a scheduled start date for OTS. There are a couple of things that have come up in the last couple of weeks that have raised some red flags regarding the information I have been given by my recruiter versus what I have been told by several current AF pilots as well as a flight instructor. 

I am wanting to fly, however my overall GPA from college is just under the 3.00 requirement (2.75). What I was told by the recruiter that I have been dealing with is that if I want to apply for a pilot slot, I would have to get in and apply for a GPA waiver a few years down the road. May AFOQT score in the piloting section was in the top 19%, my air battle manager score was in the top 13%, and my navigator section was in the top 15%. I also currently have logged flight hours and am close to completing my PPL.

My question is two part. First, whether or not the information that I have been given by my recruiter is correct, or if the GPA waiver is something that I should have been able to get up front, which is what I have been told by everyone else. Second, if it is something that I should have been able to get up front, is there anything I can do to pursue that since I already have a scheduled OTS date for a non-rated position, and if so what avenue do I need to take?

I appreciate any advice/information that anyone can give.

I’ve never heard of the 3.0 requirement. I have a guard pilot slot with a 2.6 ( engineer.... don’t judge lol ). A friend of mine got picked up 3 yrs ago by the active duty UPT board with a 2.5. If your new to the military, you must learn not to trust everything a recruiter says. No one cares about your career and your money more than you. Do your research and don’t be afraid to ask questions (like you are doing now). 

Whomever might be telling you might be basing the 3.0 requirement based on a static it of previously accepted candidates. I do know that rotc scholarship require you to maintain a 3.0 to keep the scholarship help. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers 🍻 

You are being lied to. Why do you have an OTS class date for anything other than pilot, if that's what you want to be? What is your AFSC/job slated to be? The whole beauty of OTS is the fact that you can apply repeatedly for the job you want until you get it, before accepting a commission. It sounds like you should get out of whatever OTS slot you currently have, and ask to see a reference for whatever rules this recruiter seems to be making up. 

Recruiters can be some of the least trustworthy people in the military. Respectfully ask for references, and make it clear that you want to be a pilot and nothing else. 

Edited by CPE1704TKS

Really needs to be a rule that if you can prove your recruiter lied to you or acted in poor faith to manipulate you into a decision you otherwise wouldn't make, your ADSC is waived. 

1.) We don't want officers that don't want to be in. Officers need an exceptional amount of motivation to lead effectively. 

2.) It betrays the very core values we try to instill.

Stories like this are really frustrating to me. 2.6 GPA, via ROTC. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 1