How many times does a C-17 pilot drive to work each week?

Maverick808

Question

I'm thinking of applying to the 446th AW at McChord as a C-17 pilot and want know how many times a week C-17 pilots drive to and from work.

I'm thinking of living up by Seattle and the drive to McChord is roughly an hour, so if C-17 pilots are going into work almost every day then it may be too far. However on the other hand if you're driving in 2-3 times a week, that would be more doable perhaps.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Maverick808 said:

I'm thinking of applying to the 446th AW at McChord as a C-17 pilot and want know how many times a week C-17 pilots drive to and from work.

I'm thinking of living up by Seattle and the drive to McChord is roughly an hour, so if C-17 pilots are going into work almost every day then it may be too far. However on the other hand if you're driving in 2-3 times a week, that would be more doable perhaps.

Thanks!

No matter what kind of plane you fly, or what kind of job you have...you'll be going to work pretty much every weekday, with a few weekends sprinkled in.

Or you’ll be TDY enough that your expensive Seattle residence will be vacant half the year. As a new guy, your primary concern should be being nearby and available. 

Trying to work only 2-3 days and commuting an hour (or more) on the I-5 to live near downtown on LT pay would not be a smart financial decision.

Edited by torqued
  • Like 1

Just depends on what you want out of life.

The drive is best case 1hr from Seattle to McChord. If you hit the rush hours (northbound 530-0830/southbound 1530-1800) it's going to be much longer, closer to 1.5hrs.

Flying locals, typically mission plan day prior, then fly the next day. Plus the 4-5 sims a quarter as a copilot.

Flying missions, on the road for a few days to a few weeks at a time. Some trips will have hefty per diem checks, done not so much.

If you're going to live up in Seattle, probably worth getting a roommate.

I'm an AD C-17 pilot who used to live up in that area, so hopefully a C-17 reservist can talk to how often you'll be flying locals or expected to be in the office, especially as a traditional.