GPS on EFB plug-in

KPPV1

Bad Elf plug-in will work fine with ForeFlight.  I'm assuming your iPad doesn't have internal GPS.  What you're "allowed" to do is dependent on the MAJCOM, aircraft, unit, and syllabus if you're in training.  Generally speaking though, the Bad Elf is certified as legal carry on equipment.

• Like 3

Bad Elf plug-in will work fine with ForeFlight.  I'm assuming your iPad doesn't have internal GPS.  What you're "allowed" to do is dependent on the MAJCOM, aircraft, unit, and syllabus if you're in training.  Generally speaking though, the Bad Elf is certified as legal carry on equipment.
So when you plug in the bad elf you have to download an app for it. Will it work without it automatically?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Baseops Network mobile app

40 minutes ago, KPPV1 said:

So when you plug in the bad elf you have to download an app for it. Will it work without it automatically?

It will work without the app, just plug it in and go. It can take roughly 30 seconds to a minute to get its position the first time you plug it in, but after that it'll be solid.  You can also run a micro usb cable into the side of it to charge the iPad while you're using it.

I would, however, recommend downloading the app if you can for firmware updates.  If you can't download it on your EFB, then do it on your own iPad/iPhone.  Just plug the Bad Elf in, open the app and it'll tell you if a firmware update is available.  The newer firmware fixes some glitches with acquiring a position.

• Like 1

My squadron issues Bad Elf pucks for this exact purpose.  It’s a Bluetooth pairing. Just enable Bluetooth on your iPad and sync the device.  I much prefer it to stratus.
So you guys don't plug in the puck, you just pair it?

1 hour ago, KPPV1 said:
3 hours ago, tac airlifter said:
My squadron issues Bad Elf pucks for this exact purpose.  It’s a Bluetooth pairing. Just enable Bluetooth on your iPad and sync the device.  I much prefer it to stratus.

So you guys don't plug in the puck, you just pair it?

I don’t even know how it would plug into an iPad.

We’ve been flying with squadron issued iPads  and squadron ForeFlight accounts paired via Bluetooth to a Bad Elf puck since 2013.  Works great.

Bad Elf makes a small GPS receiver with a lightning connector that plugs into the iPad.  Works fine, but slow to initially acquire position.  No ADS-B, just position.  They also make various bluetooth GPS receivers that are probably better, but if you're in an environment where bluetooth/wi-fi is a no-go, this is the only solution.

iPads with LTE/cell capability have an internal GPS antenna that is as good or better than the little Bad Elf...so if your unit is buying new iPads, spring for the cell capable ones, it's well worth it.

The best way to go is something that gives you GPS and ADS-B in.  Stratus is great, we use them...6-9 hr battery life.  There's also the Sentry puck, which is ForeFlight's latest proprietary thing.  I think the battery lasts longer, some other neat things like a CO2 sensor for GA flying. I don't have much experience with the Dual options, but they offer similar capability, but Bluetooth based.  All of them also have a poor man's AHRS system as well.

There's no perfect setup for everyone, depends on your aircraft/mission/restrictions/etc.

I've been using a Dual GPS 160.  Battery life is listed as 10 hours but I've been getting a little over that.  5 people can Bluetooth to it.  It didn't want to work on my last trip to Europe but worked like a champ coming home.