Application Evaluation?

AFOQT: Pilot: 81 Nav:68 Acad: 76 Verbal: 92 Quat: 53

PCSM: 82

LOR: Civil Air Patrol Commander, Army two star (ret, personal reference, I do know him well), College Prof.

GPA: 3.75 (History B.A.)

20/15 vision 

Ratings: ASEL, AMEL, ASES, IA, CFI, CFII, AGI, 310hrs TT (working as a CFI now)

Two years post college working

CAP Billy Mitchell Cadet

I'm currently applying to both MNANG units and Active Duty in the event neither of those work out. Two of the three apps are already in. I'm just waiting for the last unit to open.

Whats holes do people see here that I should be ready to address in an interview?

Thanks

So your scores are ok. Depending on the rest of your packet (cover letter, resume), you may get a couple of fighter interviews.

I will say, I’ve found out that most of the guys that interviewed alongside me for different fighter units were in the 90s pilot score and PCSM.

As I said in the other board, I’d throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. I’m a proponent of applying everywhere!

I think you have a good shot with heavies, but I’m not positive about fighters with your current scores. Hopefully someone that has sat on a board recently will chime in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Ya I'm not dead set on fighters anyways. They'd be super fun but I think people discount heavies too quickly (which may work in my favor XD).

Did you apply just to fighter guard units?

I did. It’s been a dream and I knew it’s what I wanted. So I had to give it a shot. I also thought that my packet was extremely competitive, so I figured I’d give it a year and see if I was getting interview invitations. If I didn’t get an interview after a certain amount of time, I planned on reassessing, considering AD and applying to heavies. I want to fly fighters more than anything, but I really want to fly and serve.

Luckily, I got hired on my 4th application and 2nd interview, after about 3 and a half months.

But my timeline is abnormal. Push as hard as you can and apply everywhere you’re even slightly interested in. It seems like everyone loves their airframe and there isn’t a mission out there without value! Regardless of airframe, getting paid to fly is about as good as it gets.

Your AFOQT scores and PCSM are not very competitive for fighters.  You may be able to grab an interview if you visit the unit once or twice and really connect well with the bros (e.g. your scores become slightly overshadowed by the positive personal interaction they had with you).  I think the odds of you getting a fighter interview based solely on your app are not great.  Retake the AFOQT to boost your scores if you want to increase your fighter chances.

11 hours ago, N730 said:

I did. It’s been a dream and I knew it’s what I wanted. So I had to give it a shot. I also thought that my packet was extremely competitive, so I figured I’d give it a year and see if I was getting interview invitations. If I didn’t get an interview after a certain amount of time, I planned on reassessing, considering AD and applying to heavies. I want to fly fighters more than anything, but I really want to fly and serve.

Luckily, I got hired on my 4th application and 2nd interview, after about 3 and a half months.

But my timeline is abnormal. Push as hard as you can and apply everywhere you’re even slightly interested in. It seems like everyone loves their airframe and there isn’t a mission out there without value! Regardless of airframe, getting paid to fly is about as good as it gets.

Holy smokes that is an abnormal timeline. Did you apply nation wide or did you have a few you really wanted? We you already enlisted or off the street? Have you shipped to training yet?

@brabus The only fighter unit I'm applying right now is my home unit. 

Holy smokes that is an abnormal timeline. Did you apply nation wide or did you have a few you really wanted? We you already enlisted or off the street? Have you shipped to training yet?

I applied nationwide. There was only one board that popped up that I didn’t apply to. Even though I was applying everywhere, there were two units I had at the top of my list and I was able to get interviews at both.

I was off the street and a little bit older. Plus I didn’t have a great college transcript, but I was able to show how I’d learned from the mistakes I made in the past.

And no, I have my FC1 soon, but following that, I’ll be at the mercy of NGB waiting for dates.

If I were you, I’d apply everywhere. Then study your ass off and retake the AFOQT when you can. With studying, you can score in the 90s. Hopefully that’ll bump your PCSM significantly too.

Wow nice! what airframe? 

I took the AFOQT in February I think so I won't be able to retake in time for applications. My score isn't bad but I'm aware it's not the best. That's my why I'm applying active too. The other thing that's kinda nice is that I won't be at the mercy of the NGB if I go active. I'm already part of the MNANG and would just wait until I get a slot there but I'm kind of itching to start a career.