2020 Air Force Active Duty UPT Board

52 minutes ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Yep I love working nights in Hawaii... Can't see it for another 5 hours.  Thanks for posting the thread!

No problem, buddy. Here are some highlights:

- Apps due 12 Aug, board meet 24-26 Sept

- UFT/UCT/UABMT age up to 33, RPA has no restriction

- You may decline this board, and reapply next time. Not retroactive to earlier boards.

I just got started working with a recruiter overseas since we don't have one where I am residing. 

Is the process of applying for the pilot board same as becoming an officer?  I just completed my 2807 and qualification form.  Now I have to complete a form 368.  I stated in my email that I am only interested in pilot/rated officer fields. 

6 hours ago, Ligma said:

I just got started working with a recruiter overseas since we don't have one where I am residing. 

Is the process of applying for the pilot board same as becoming an officer?  I just completed my 2807 and qualification form.  Now I have to complete a form 368.  I stated in my email that I am only interested in pilot/rated officer fields. 

This board is for active duty Officers only.  If you aren't already in, this doesnt apply to you.

14 hours ago, Ligma said:

If you have to get a 368 you must be a bastard child from another branch. So was I. It will be a difficult process for you but not impossible. Call the folks at Randolph. They will help you navigate thru the process. DO NOT SOLELY RELAY ON THE RECRUITER. Not sure why but the recruiter would give me an answer that wouldn't make sense and I would get a totally different answer from the folks at Randolph. They helped me every time I called or pointed me in the correct direction. I was in Afghanistan when I was going thru the process. Had my application ready to go but decided not to submit a few days before the deadline (was offered a UPT slot with an ANG unit). I had another Army bro that stayed the course. We worked on our apps together, had the same age and PCSM scores. He got selected and has a vance date in late November (we were both helo pilots so we could jump in directly into UPT). I am a bit jealous because I don't have a school date yet and they are telling me now it might be late FY20 or early FY21.

Also you will have to rate all slots 1 thru 5 - pilot, nav, rpa, CSO, AMB (I haven't seen the 215 in a while but I believe those are all the fields available). You can't just apply for Pilot/Rated.

If your end goal/dream is to be a pilot, look into going ANG/reserves.

Also good luck getting a 368. It was the most pain in the ass process thanks to the high levels of army efficiency. You have to stay on top of the admin personnel or else it will sit on someone's desk until hell freezes over.

Good luck to all the bros in here. Cheers.

23 hours ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Yep I love working nights in Hawaii... Can't see it for another 5 hours.  Thanks for posting the thread!

I see you’re weather. I’m working nights at the 26th OWS at Barksdale! Looking at applying for CSO. Question though, I haven’t gotten my flight physical yet. Do you think an Aug 12 cutoff isn’t enough time to get my physical done?

25 minutes ago, Zachv95 said:

I see you’re weather. I’m working nights at the 26th OWS at Barksdale! Looking at applying for CSO. Question though, I haven’t gotten my flight physical yet. Do you think an Aug 12 cutoff isn’t enough time to get my physical done?

Hey dude!  Yep I am lol. I think you should be good to get it done, but you need to start now.  If they do what they did last year and allow medicals that were complete just without the SG signature, you should be good.  That being said, get into your Flight Med ASAP.  I know you're a shift worker as well so it can be a little hard, but just get in there and get your stuff started.

I needed a waiver and it took about 4 weeks on AD to get one.  The SG signature while I was still in ROTC took like 2 months.  Personally, I think if you start now you should be golden but you can't put it off any further.  Lemme know if you need anything else!

7 hours ago, Ligma said:

LOL @ bastard child hahaha.   But yes, I am 6 years enlisted in my local ANG unit.  I will be applying for the next local board as well as other boards. I want to have all my options open and AD route seems very appealing.  Thank you for your insight and help!

Anyone else have any tips, I am welcome to hear them.  Cheers!

Reading old posts, the consensus seemed to be the AD route was the most competitive... I'm not sure that's still true, the number of folks accepted has increased from 14 a few years ago to around 90ish i think this year.  

But having gone from enlisted, to non-rated O, to UPT select as a new Capt, I'll say it's a long road and you'll be behind your peers and making rank past O-5 will be a challenge.  I don't mind and have 0 desire to make O-6 or higher, I just want to fly and do cool shit... but for some people that might cause some butt hurt.

My advise would be to get a UPT slot out of the gate if able, but there are roads to wings if you can at least get commissioned.

Edited by Uptapplicant2019
  • Thanks 1

Question about medical: sort for the length and confusion but I’m extremely confused about what forms and paperwork I need to submit to get my physical started. I went into my IMR and requested a flight physical. What are the documents I need to submit to the email they gave me? I’m waiting on access the the PEPP site( I’m guessing some of the forms I need are in here?). It says submit CC/FM approval letter(not sure what this is), AFPC email(my career field assignments officer’s email??), and AMS listing (not sure what this is either)as well as verbiage required on the AF422 (I know what the form is but do I have to go into flight medicine to get a 422 and fill it out?) and any other required docs (vauge but anything else I’ll need to turn in?)

Thanks for any any help in advance.

5 hours ago, Zachv95 said:

Question about medical: sort for the length and confusion but I’m extremely confused about what forms and paperwork I need to submit to get my physical started. I went into my IMR and requested a flight physical. What are the documents I need to submit to the email they gave me? I’m waiting on access the the PEPP site( I’m guessing some of the forms I need are in here?). It says submit CC/FM approval letter(not sure what this is), AFPC email(my career field assignments officer’s email??), and AMS listing (not sure what this is either)as well as verbiage required on the AF422 (I know what the form is but do I have to go into flight medicine to get a 422 and fill it out?) and any other required docs (vauge but anything else I’ll need to turn in?)

Thanks for any any help in advance.

Flight Med should contact you after you make that request in IMR, but I would just give them a call. Flt med should send you and make you fill out several papers and then schedule a audiogram, labs, optometry, and chest x-ray. The paperwork is like family history, disclosure stuff, and etc. I highly recommend you call your flight medicine off and See what they would like. After all this you will have an appoint with the flight doc and he will examine you.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet in here...  I’m trying for RPAs only again this year.  My current career field refused to release me last year because of my DEROS but hopefully it will work out better this year.  Good luck to everyone!  

On 6/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, MSCguy said:

Pretty quiet in here...  I’m trying for RPAs only again this year.  My current career field refused to release me last year because of my DEROS but hopefully it will work out better this year.  Good luck to everyone!  

DEROS and your current career field should not matter when it comes to this board.  Someone lied to you last year.  I got confirmation on this from both my assignments officer and the board GS-13.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WannaFly2019 said:

DEROS and your current career field should not matter when it comes to this board.  Someone lied to you last year.  I got confirmation on this from both my assignments officer and the board GS-13.

Current career field has to release you.   The flying boards office told me that my current career field refused to let me go and my assignment officer told me that it was because I was one month into a 36 month tour.  Your losing assignment team can refuse to let you go for whatever reason they want.

I FOIAed the full stats for last year’s board and 60 officers were selected for UFT but not released by their current career field.

Edited by MSCguy

4 hours ago, MSCguy said:

Current career field has to release you.   The flying boards office told me that my current career field refused to let me go and my assignment officer told me that it was because I was one month into a 36 month tour.  Your losing assignment team can refuse to let you go for whatever reason they want.

I FOIAed the full stats for last year’s board and 60 officers were selected for UFT but not released by their current career field.

AFPC told me last year they weren’t asking career fields for release, if you were accepted you were going... only caveat I think was AFIT/similar program commitments.

My career field doesn’t release folks to do anything (there’s about 190 of us in the AF) and I was selected, sitting at IFT right now. 

But who the knows, there’s never any black/white in the AF... all rules/policies are elastic

4 hours ago, Uptapplicant2019 said:

AFPC told me last year they weren’t asking career fields for release, if you were accepted you were going... only caveat I think was AFIT/similar program commitments.

My career field doesn’t release folks to do anything (there’s about 190 of us in the AF) and I was selected, sitting at IFT right now. 

But who the knows, there’s never any black/white in the AF... all rules/policies are elastic

This is exactly what I was told as well.  I'm sure somewhere along the line someone at AFPC can disregard the acceptance, but I see that as highly unlikely without special training under your belt that they don't want to lose.

I applied in a previous year and was told by the board that my assignment team told them that if I were selected they would not release me.

I wasn’t told this until after the fact and after I had spent lots of money getting some flight hours, my spouse had delayed pursuing jobs in order to wait to see if I’d be moving to a UPT base, etc. When I had originally asked them prior to applying the assignment team made it sound like it wouldn’t be a problem at all, but I could have been more specific about my situation. It sucked.

It’s whatever, the point is just that I wouldn’t gamble on this at all - every person should call their assignment team and ask if they are releasing people, better yet do it over email and get documentation.

Edited by goddard15

On 6/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Zachv95 said:

What the selection numbers look like for boards like this? I haven’t done much research to be honest. Has it been high the last couple of years, low, does it vary year to year, etc..?

It's on myPers if you search UFT Board.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if anyone is running into the same issue and if they have any work around.

When completing the 215 step by step via the PDSM (downloading pre-filled from myPers, adding text boxes for comments and signature fields, etc.) I run into the problem when I sign it to route up to my Sq/CC it won’t let him edit the PDF to edit the comments I drafted for him since I signed it. The PDSM specifically states to not fill out a blank 215 from e-pubs but with that one, I don’t run into the issue. Next to having my Wg/CC sign it first after his edits then my Sq/CC then me, I’m not sure how to work around it. Anyone having the same problem/have solutions?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Flyingforce said:

Anybody hear any rumors about this years board yet? I feel like there’s going to be lots of slots based on the pilot shortage, but i have nothing to confirm that. 

I know ROTC couldn't even fill all the slots they had allocated... So...