Airliner Intercepts

FlyAF

Do fighters ever practice intercepting airlines, or are they allowed to over the CONUS? I remember seeing a site a while back where French Mirages routinely intercepted USAF flights travelling over their airspace, and have also seen pictures on airliners.net where they'll fly on the wing of an airliner as well.

Thanks

Guest lovelacm

Sorry Hacker, but that begs the question, "Have you ever unintentionally intercepted an airliner?"

"Oh, would you look at that... it's Delta... Whoops."

You're confusing Iceland with the Falklands.

(Although its the RAF and not with Eagles)

[ 25. January 2006, 16:09: Message edited by: Pogo ]

ARGuardbum, I think that was riding scoobs a little too hard! Scoobs the reason we deploy to Iceland is to make sure that the ice does not melt. If the ice were to melt there would be security concerns like know one knows (I did my Doctoral dissertation on this very topic).

If Iceland were to melt the water melting into the ocean would create a rise in sea level so much that England would be under water. Furthermore the Netherlands would loose approx 79% of its geographic land mass. The ensuing floods would then create a flooding of Germany around the Elbe River, which would make Hamburg loose its harbor. The furthest that the flood waters would effect would be the coast of Portugal, including the loss of Lajes Air Base.

The current item I am looking at in my fellowship is what would happen to Southwest Asia and Northern Asia (Russia) if Iceland were to melt. It appears as though if Iceland were to melt the temperature would actually change .76 degrees which would cause all the oil supplies in SW Asia would boil and hurt all our Arab friends in the region. Furthermore Russia would have problems in that Siberia would be a hot spot and the entire southern portion of Russia would be the new Siberia. Totally messed up global patterns!

Now there is another consideration which must be looked at... If Iceland were to melt the change in climate would create a cold spell above the N 60 degrees Latitude which would create almost a nuclear winter in Greenland causing the entire country to turn to nothing but ice. Thus this global change would create panic in the world causing all the maps to be relabeled Greenland as Iceland and Iceland as Greenland... talk about some confusion!

All This was funded by the NSA and is classified super squirrel secret and should not be talked about too much!

[ 25. January 2006, 16:33: Message edited by: Robes ]

Originally posted by Linda:

Sorry Hacker, but that begs the question, "Have you ever unintentionally intercepted an airliner?"

Yep...tried to at least. Especially on NVGs. Those airliners up there in the high 30s are easy to bite off on as bandits!!

Speaking of which, isn't there a good story about an Eagle driver who chased an Iranian Airbus halfway accross Iraq trying to do a VID at night? Pretty sure it was someone who should have known better...

[ 25. January 2006, 17:23: Message edited by: Steve Davies ]

Guest nghtswmng2

As I well know, Delta is far too easy to intercept. Especially around Phoenix, and when you're still brand new to the jet.

My first solo intercept ride:

"Ahhh 1, confirm you're running cold at 210Kts??" --At which point I notice I'm 'near' the mach, outside the top of the airspace trying my d@mndest to run down that Delta jet.

At least it was a good story for the bar...

NASA is that you? If so how are things going man?

Nothing like hearing about a story like that third person though. Flight lead was like...

Yeah so two was blind for like a minute so I told him I was BULLSEYE 210/20 and he called locked, so I kept the orbit going. Next thing I hear is "Uhhh...One confirm you are in a Southwest 737..."

Man the crap we do to our flight leads. I underflew bingo by several hundred pounds the other day, hopefully the kind of lesson you learn only once...

Long live the LPA!

You follow my posts
Scoobs, I don't think you should accuse anyone of that. Also I think your punctuation was all wrong. It should have read: "You follow my posts, you have problems". This is patently obvious.

[ 28. January 2006, 17:59: Message edited by: zrooster99 ]

Originally posted by ViperStud:

Man the crap we do to our flight leads. I underflew bingo by several hundred pounds the other day, hopefully the kind of lesson you learn only once...

Long live the LPA!

I've had a wingman do that to me. Ended up diverting. That will teach me to only set my Joker 1K above Bingo.

Hoser

Originally posted by ChuckFlys17s:

The Belgian F-16's intercept us all the time flying into and out of Germany. 9/10 times the controllers let you know they are inbound. Nice guys those Belgians... TCAS does go nuts.

Chuck

Are you sure you aren't speaking of the Dutch? I flew in and out of Germany almost every day for 3 1/2 years and I don't think the Belgians intercepted us once. The Dutch however would chase us all over the place, asking permission of course first because they are so damn polite. It was pretty funny because after a while the Dutch ATC guys knew the voices of the C-21 dudes that were looking to get intercepted. Fun stuff, those guys are always cordial on the radios. The Swiss and French would intercept us quite frequently also, they would not ask permission first though. I suppose it is their airspace.