VA disability that doesn’t affect FAA/ civilian flying

Guardian

Yep, came here to report the same e-mail.  These are proposals and the links above are for public comment.  Looks like tinnitus won't get a 10% unless associated with hearing loss.  Also, the VA says that a person's current ratings won't change, but if these changes are instituted, one can apply for an increase if applicable.

16 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Yep, came here to report the same e-mail.  These are proposals and the links above are for public comment.  Looks like tinnitus won't get a 10% unless associated with hearing loss.  Also, the VA says that a person's current ratings won't change, but if these changes are instituted, one can apply for an increase if applicable.

However, if you apply for an increase, that disability could be reduced if the VA determines you’ve improved. 

Always interesting when this topic comes up. Usually way more bad advice than good. Here it is laid out in simple terms. 

1. Don’t lie… to anyone. Except your #3 girlfriend. 

2. if you have a medical issue, tell tour treating physicians, and get it treated.

3. Tell your AME what you are being or have been treated for. See #1. Learn what PRNC means. It will save you time. 

It’s that simple. You should never worry if there is a VA Disability Condition that will keep you from getting an FAA Medical. Why? Because you either have the conditions or you don’t. If you do, you shouldn’t have an FAA medical. If you don’t it doesn’t matter.

If you do, and say you don’t, or vise versa you are lying and will end up in jail if you are caught. 

• Like 2

Follow-up - DAV was a massive disappointment. I was rowing my own boat for every aspect of the last five months awaiting a VA decision. I went through my own records, took my own notes -- which I still HIGHLY recommend. But when I showed at DAV, thinking mine was just the initial hack, my records were pushed back across the table. "We don't look at your records, you know your records best; you just tell us what you want to file." Literally no one other than myself has evaluated my records. It didn't help that my general impression of the DAV Army vet across the table was a standard govt slug, just punching the clock. He functioned simply as a heartbeat attached to a keyboard, inputting exactly what my ignorant self "discovered" in my medical records. He typed the few conditions into the computer, and that was it.

Did I miss anything? Am I doing this right? I have no idea. When I called/emailed DAV over the last five months, I was given a boilerplate response via email or call. Nothing was refined or personalized. As with every govt process I've ever experienced, I'm rowing my own boat. As with all other govt offices in my career, if I happen to run into a star performer, I can get excellent service from the MDG/MPF/VSO. But I cannot in good faith ever recommend the DAV to any other vet. The absolute minimum was accomplished, leaving me asking...what have I missed? What do I not understand about the process?

Now looking into having a non-VSO (paid) service evaluate my records. Definitely not looking to play up an injury, or be told what to say. I just want what I'm owed from my years of service. And after the DAV got done with me, I'm not even sure the initial claims were done correctly. If I'm told that I did everything correctly, I'd be shocked. But just knowing that I've correctly participated in the process is what I want. I will go into the next phase with zero expectations of any improvement, just needed an expert evaluation on my records.

Anyone have experience with https://www.reemedical.com/? Looks like a $2k flat fee for their services.

PS. The trending I've noticed with peers regarding VA disability...everyone is willing to help/share their personal path, UNTIL they get a % from the VA. Then total silence. Guys feel embarrassed about getting disability when they aren't in a wheelchair. I do not think this is the correct mentality. The VA is a standard govt entity...broken in some respects, inefficient is all respects. And intimidating to deal with, since I don't speak their language. But if a mechanism exists to be compensated for medical conditions we've accumulated over decades of service/deployments, I say let that dog hunt. 

2 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

The DAV was terrible for me as well. The VFW was great. I’ve a few claims myself. I started at 30% when I got out in 2017 and now I’m at 90%.

My DAV experience was fine, Little Rock if that helps.  My dad used the VFW and they didn't do much for him.  I ended refiling his claim years later with me as the on-file advocate.  Ended up getting him from 40% to 90% for a Gulf War injury (I felt it should have been 100%).  Nobody went thru his records, saw the history and explained it to a decision board.  It seems some of the VSOs that help with claims just list the ailment and expect the VA to read the records and figure it out.

I suppose if someone has some service medical issues and they want to make sure they get a solid rating, maybe paying for a person/lawyer that specialized in this work is beneficial.

Next up for dad, maybe a new filing for Agent Orange presumptive conditions.  If you didn't know, for Nam Vets on the Agent Orange exposure registry, the VA has been adding medical conditions that can result in a rating.  For us, that could mean the Burn Pit registry may some day have medical conditions added to it. 

Now, strangely, my own initial claim from many years ago was recently reevaluated by the VA and increased.  Out of the blue.  No idea how or why.

Guest LumberjackAxe
On 2/21/2022 at 8:31 AM, ImNotARobot said:

Follow-up - DAV was a massive disappointment. I was rowing my own boat for every aspect of the last five months awaiting a VA decision. I went through my own records, took my own notes -- which I still HIGHLY recommend. But when I showed at DAV, thinking mine was just the initial hack, my records were pushed back across the table. "We don't look at your records, you know your records best; you just tell us what you want to file." Literally no one other than myself has evaluated my records. It didn't help that my general impression of the DAV Army vet across the table was a standard govt slug, just punching the clock. He functioned simply as a heartbeat attached to a keyboard, inputting exactly what my ignorant self "discovered" in my medical records. He typed the few conditions into the computer, and that was it.

Did I miss anything? Am I doing this right? I have no idea. When I called/emailed DAV over the last five months, I was given a boilerplate response via email or call. Nothing was refined or personalized. As with every govt process I've ever experienced, I'm rowing my own boat. As with all other govt offices in my career, if I happen to run into a star performer, I can get excellent service from the MDG/MPF/VSO. But I cannot in good faith ever recommend the DAV to any other vet. The absolute minimum was accomplished, leaving me asking...what have I missed? What do I not understand about the process?

Now looking into having a non-VSO (paid) service evaluate my records. Definitely not looking to play up an injury, or be told what to say. I just want what I'm owed from my years of service. And after the DAV got done with me, I'm not even sure the initial claims were done correctly. If I'm told that I did everything correctly, I'd be shocked. But just knowing that I've correctly participated in the process is what I want. I will go into the next phase with zero expectations of any improvement, just needed an expert evaluation on my records.

Anyone have experience with https://www.reemedical.com/? Looks like a $2k flat fee for their services.

PS. The trending I've noticed with peers regarding VA disability...everyone is willing to help/share their personal path, UNTIL they get a % from the VA. Then total silence. Guys feel embarrassed about getting disability when they aren't in a wheelchair. I do not think this is the correct mentality. The VA is a standard govt entity...broken in some respects, inefficient is all respects. And intimidating to deal with, since I don't speak their language. But if a mechanism exists to be compensated for medical conditions we've accumulated over decades of service/deployments, I say let that dog hunt. 

I would consult pebforum.com and see what people are saying there. I'm currently going through an MEB (it's a clear case of Do Not Retain) and that forum has been enormously helpful, and I actually retained the site owner as a lawyer to make sure I don't get screwed. But it isn't just active duty fellas going through medical separations, there's also a lot of post-AD folks asking for advice.

My own experience has been WAY BETTER than I expect, and not just because I have a lawyer. I was assigned a rep at the VA who went through my entire record and found a few items that I didn't even think I could claim. I haven't received any ratings yet, but I expect it'll be 100%. I know not everyone gets a VA rep, but if you're willing to pay out of pocket I'd look for a referral to someone on that forum, they'd know best.

18 hours ago, LumberjackAxe said:

I would consult pebforum.com and see what people are saying there. I'm currently going through an MEB (it's a clear case of Do Not Retain) and that forum has been enormously helpful, and I actually retained the site owner as a lawyer to make sure I don't get screwed. But it isn't just active duty fellas going through medical separations, there's also a lot of post-AD folks asking for advice.

My own experience has been WAY BETTER than I expect, and not just because I have a lawyer. I was assigned a rep at the VA who went through my entire record and found a few items that I didn't even think I could claim. I haven't received any ratings yet, but I expect it'll be 100%. I know not everyone gets a VA rep, but if you're willing to pay out of pocket I'd look for a referral to someone on that forum, they'd know best.

Could you explain that last paragraph a little better? What forum are you talking about?

Guest LumberjackAxe
12 hours ago, Lifer said:

Could you explain that last paragraph a little better? What forum are you talking about?

I'm referring to pebforum.com, make an account there and ask for recommendations on organizations that you can hire to help you out. Or you may find the information you need and you may not need to hire anyone. It's a great forum all around.

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, di1630 said:

I had a civilian buddy that sells mortgages ask me about it after he saw healthy people applying for loans but claiming disability.

How unhealthy does a person have to appear to be for you to think it is alright for them to collect VA disability benefits?

• Upvote 1

@di1630 I look healthy - doesn’t mean my back, neck, hips, knees, etc. aren’t in constant pain and affect how I live my life every day. Appearance does not always tell the story, and probably doesn’t more often than not. That’s what you should tell your mortgage buddy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedEye1911 said:

How unhealthy does a person have to appear to be for you to think it is alright for them to collect VA disability benefits?

You know that he’s referring to the huge number of people that beg, borrow, and snivel to get disability percentages for dubious reasons. The guys that get fat as fuck, get sleep apnea, and now have 100% disability. The guy I work with who is a retired E-7 and told me that he “sold it” to get a carpal tunnel diagnosis and some other crap to get 100% like that’s a badge of honor. Or the Boot Camp PTSD claims for 100%. 

Aviators with wrecked backs, necks, etc deserve disability ratings. I don’t have a solution to prevent the false claims and it’s not up to me to determine. I know that I’ll pursue legitimate reasons for disability when it’s time and will be able to look myself in the mirror. If folks can scam the government and get a check as a result but can have a clean conscience, then more power to them, I guess.

It's not just POGs/Nonners, plenty of pilots in that grift train. Problem is you're gonna step on toes here because a subset  will resemble the remark, don't kid yourself. It's a "we don't talk about fight club" topic. People can spare me the plausible deniability. We all know them, class-I holders running proverbial marathons with tournament player level VA documentation wordsmithing in order to grab the rating golden ring and get puh puh puh paid son.

In TX it's even worse, since it nets you [effectively, spare me the sales tax pedantry] zero-state tax burden if you play your cards right. People will continue to profit while hiding behind the govt's inclination to protect the status quo in order to not run afoul of extending benefits to the legitimate cases. Human shield dynamics.

If you raise the issue, you'll get told off/met with (literally in my experience debating this topic in person) a "mind your business/ hate the game not the playa". Fair enough, but it is our collective business as taxpayers. This is as far I'll spend time engaging on this topic on a forum like this one, given the demographic.

If the FAA is finally "hating on the game", even if accidentally/second order effect?...GOOD. Those who resemble the remark are a f--- disgrace, you can @ me all you want, I'll still call it out for what it is.

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I was diagnosed with PTSD by the VA in 2019.  I had completed RTP for Compass (God rest her soul) flying the E-175 out of LAX and talking about going to the Majors on every flight before that day.   It was a bummer.  I called my Chief Pilot at Compass and told him I can't fly anymore and didn't renew any FAA physical, any of them. I haven't flown anything (Cessnas, Pipers, Helicopters or anything) since.  I drank most days in the AF.  Never got mental health. My wife made me stop drinking in 2018.  Thats when the real trouble started.  A year later I cant fly anymore, but I can surf.  

My friend just got locked up last week during a PTSD incident.  He was an army ground dude.  Solid guy, he just had a bad few days and thought he was somewhere else.  And now he will do some time.  He was in my garage on last  Wednesday. I didn't read the signs right. I thought something was off about him but I couldn't tell.  I just found out what happened because his sister called me today.

If you have PTSD get help.  

Biff

Im ok.  Just pray for my bud and his family and remember that its not a joke to need help.  

Edited by Biff_T
the
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

It's not just POGs/Nonners, plenty of pilots in that grift train. Problem is you're gonna step on toes here because a subset  will resemble the remark, don't kid yourself. It's a "we don't talk about fight club" topic. People can spare me the plausible deniability. We all know them, class-I holders running proverbial marathons with tournament player level VA documentation wordsmithing in order to grab the rating golden ring and get puh puh puh paid son.

In TX it's even worse, since it nets you [effectively, spare me the sales tax pedantry] zero-state tax burden if you play your cards right. People will continue to profit while hiding behind the govt's inclination to protect the status quo in order to not run afoul of extending benefits to the legitimate cases. Human shield dynamics.

If you raise the issue, you'll get told off/met with (literally in my experience debating this topic in person) a "mind your business/ hate the game not the playa". Fair enough, but it is our collective business as taxpayers. This is as far I'll spend time engaging on this topic on a forum like this one, given the demographic.

If the FAA is finally "hating on the game", even if accidentally/second order effect?...GOOD. Those who resemble the remark are a f--- disgrace, you can @ me all you want, I'll still call it out for what it is.

This

• Like 1

[mention=5633]di1630[/mention] I look healthy - doesn’t mean my back, neck, hips, knees, etc. aren’t in constant pain and affect how I live my life every day. Appearance does not always tell the story, and probably doesn’t more often than not. That’s what you should tell your mortgage buddy. 

I get that there are legit claims like the viper dudes with neck issues etc. But I have people openly talking about making BS claims for financial gain like its no big deal. Funny that some of the most fiscal conservative “welfare queen” critics will brag about getting 100%, a pension and still fly airlines.

Not I how I think it was intended.

I’ve been through the process. 20% for a titanium spinal bridge with and ejection seat waiver, lifetime pain management, actually giving up my sports and hobbies. That’s not close to what you can get for claiming allergies.

I no kidding know a guy who did 8 yrs active duty as enlisted support. On a deployment he saw (or said he saw) dead marines being brought back to base and says it inflicted ptsd. He’s getting 100% and moved to TX to get full advantage.

And that’s not too uncommon.

I saw a mx officer openly solicit advice on FB last week on how to maximize her claim.

Scammers and opportunists are taking it away from people who really need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Valid there are scammers, but I don’t believe that’s a large percentage. I know a ton of dudes, and have met many more, who have legit VA claims. It’s unfortunate dbags exist, but certainly don’t want random civilians thinking “it’s a scam” as the default when they meet a vet who has a VA rating. 

• Upvote 1

Valid there are scammers, but I don’t believe that’s a large percentage. I know a ton of dudes, and have met many more, who have legit VA claims. It’s unfortunate dbags exist, but certainly don’t want random civilians thinking “it’s a scam” as the default when they meet a vet who has a VA rating. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say 80% of USAF claims are natural aging related. Maybe more.

Hard for me to believe that sitting behind a desk leaves so many shoe clerks disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app