VA disability that doesn’t affect FAA/ civilian flying

Guardian

24 minutes ago, ImNotARobot said:

Has anyone used a 3rd party to interface with the VA? I've heard a few guys using www.dav.org with some success. Seems like they are adept at combing medical records and filing the necessary paperwork. There appear to be 30+ such organizations...wanted to hear any success/horror stories. Thanks.

I used the DAV.  The guy knew exactly what forms to fill out, exactly what medical issues to cite, and I got to hear some tall tales along the way.  You could certainly do all the paperwork yourself, but I think I would have overlooked several items the DAV rep picked up during his review of my records.  I strongly recommend the DAV.

VA is using "QTC" as a 3rd party medical scheduler for VA exams.  A few times they tried to schedule me for various tests/exams that would have required a 1-2 hr drive.  Be sure to call QTC and get the visits closer, if desired.  Either that or take the day off work for your VA exam and enjoy a roadtrip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Figured I’d ask this here, I’m separating from AD this year and going to the Reserves/Guard (trying to figure out which option is better for me, but that’s another discussion).

When it comes to filing for disability with the VA, will tinnitus be an issue that negatively impacts my class 1 medical with the FAA?

Follow up question, should I go ahead and apply for disability benefits before I leave AD, or wait until I’m about done with the Reserves/Guard? (I heard AD gets priority in the claims process). 

10 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

Figured I’d ask this here, I’m separating from AD this year and going to the Reserves/Guard (trying to figure out which option is better for me, but that’s another discussion).

When it comes to filing for disability with the VA, will tinnitus be an issue that negatively impacts my class 1 medical with the FAA?

Follow up question, should I go ahead and apply for disability benefits before I leave AD, or wait until I’m about done with the Reserves/Guard? (I heard AD gets priority in the claims process). 

PTSD, mental health issues, and heart issues are the big VA to FAA gotchas if it recall correctly. 

to a lesser extent, sleep apnea may mean you get to carry a CPAP machine everywhere you go. It may not be the “easy 50%” or whatever the current gouge is if you plan to keep an FAA medical. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Guard pilot friend of mine is a VA Rater in his civilian job. Said there are plenty of people flying for the majors rated at 100%.

With what, do tell?

Blue pill 10%? The apnis' 50%? Ringing 5%?....?

On 1/22/2022 at 8:48 AM, HossHarris said:

And you’re leasing it … and it tattles on you…. 

it’s the gift that keeps on givin 

You're not leasing it through the VA. Also, if anyone cares about it tattling on you completely depends on the VA (personal experience). The previous VA I went to actually tracked the usage, the current VA I go to couldn't care less. 

3 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

You're not leasing it through the VA. Also, if anyone cares about it tattling on you completely depends on the VA (personal experience). The previous VA I went to actually tracked the usage, the current VA I go to couldn't care less. 

The FAA cares (from what I’ve heard) when you get your medical 

Can anyone expand on the sleep apnea? I’ve heard two totally different opinions from “it’s no big deal” to “never tell anyone”. 

thinking about taking a sleep study…called the ALPA doc and he said the waiver process w the FAA is easy. Value anyones insight who has walked that path!

Guard pilot friend of mine is a VA Rater in his civilian job. Said there are plenty of people flying for the majors rated at 100%.

I ran into this guy at an FBO the other week. He’s flying part 135 now after he retired from American Airlines, before that LA Guard F15s, before that AD and separated 100% disability because he ejected from a T-38 over NM in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleep Apnea and the FAA

As far as getting your FAA medical it is pretty much a non event. You will walk out of the Flight Surgeon with medical in hand.

As far as keeping your medical, the FAA requires 75% usage at 6 hours a night. You are required to print off your machines data and submit with your medical each year.

50% VA disability is nice, but realize that you will need to get a travel CPAP in addition to your main CPAP for all your overnights.

It sucks wearing the mask, but you do really feel better in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Sleep Apnea and the FAA

As far as getting your FAA medical it is pretty much a non event. You will walk out of the Flight Surgeon with medical in hand.

As far as keeping your medical, the FAA requires 75% usage at 6 hours a night. You are required to print off your machines data and submit with your medical each year.

50% VA disability is nice, but realize that you will need to get a travel CPAP in addition to your main CPAP for all your overnights.

I’ve also learned some VA hospitals will track your usage too, however YMMV.

19 hours ago, Duck said:

Sleep Apnea and the FAA

If you’ve got the apnea … the cpap is a life changer. 

if you’re just after the 50% … it’s got a long tail attached if you’re going to require an faa medical. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 1/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Recommend you never say the phrase "sleep apnea" around anyone.  Ever.  

I disagree. First off if you have Sleep Apnea it’s definitely bad for your health (heart, brain, etc.) second you’ll get VA disability of 50% off the bat and once you add up other little issues you have you’ll be at 75% before you know it which is like $2,000 a month-ish (tax-free I believe) plus your retirement. And third I haven’t really had any issues with the FA about my CPAP usage and the FAA doc doesn’t see me having issues getting a First Class.

SSRI side note… I’m an active duty pilot and on a SSRI and the FAA doc doesn’t see any issues with me getting a special issuance first class medical…. With that said if I stay on the SSRI it’s gonna cost me $3,000 to $7,000 just to get my first class medical once you factor in the Pyschologist and psychiatrist appointments to include the testing they want me to do. The price varies depending on how I do on my testing. Then the reoccurring appointments/testing is gonna cost me $1,000 to $3,000 a year to keep my first class medical. One Pyschologist that I spoke to recommended I just get off the SSRI and apply for a regular first class and that’s the route I’m thinking. He said it’s much cheaper to get a first class medical while not on an SSRI vs getting a special issuance while on an SSRI. I Just figured I’d give some people first hand knowledge of what I’ve been going through. Basically, it’s doable but costly for the SSRI and the CPAP seems much easier to get approved and much less costly. 

Edited by Lifer
  • Upvote 1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:02 AM, Duck said:

Sleep Apnea and the FAA

I concur... only slightly burdensome with the FAA (find a good AME and they'll handle the yearly paperwork for you)...

For those of you on AD, it WAS an automatic MEB (~3/4 years ago?), but it was transparent to me (no one even told me I was meeting a MEB) as it was also pretty much an automatic waiver.  Got out before I found out about yearly requirements with the AD folks...

The full size cpap machine splits in half (you lose the water reservoir) and it makes it slightly less cumbersome for overnights, but also a bit more noisy... so don't have to purchase an additional one.

• 2 weeks later...

I separated from AD a few years ago and when I did the reserve recruiter told me not not apply for disability because it would make it difficult for me when I got a reserve job. I’m starting to realize that is false for the most part.

I’m kicking myself for not pushing back, but I was honestly scared I wouldn’t get a reserve/guard job. Is there a way for me to file for disability after the fact while still in the reserve? I have a reserve and airline job now and I have legitimate disability issues that the AF refused to help me fix while I was active.

Thanks for the help.

43 minutes ago, NMTXLine said:

I separated from AD a few years ago and when I did the reserve recruiter told me not not apply for disability because it would make it difficult for me when I got a reserve job. I’m starting to realize that is false for the most part.

I’m kicking myself for not pushing back, but I was honestly scared I wouldn’t get a reserve/guard job. Is there a way for me to file for disability after the fact while still in the reserve? I have a reserve and airline job now and I have legitimate disability issues that the AF refused to help me fix while I was active.

Thanks for the help.

There is, however you cannot be "concurrently paid" by the VA and AFRC. If you're entitled to VA compensation, then you have to make a decision to only take one of the pays (obviously the higher one).

The VA also announced today they're proposing amending the rating disabilities for mental health, tinnitus, and sleep apnea. Looks like being rated for sleep apnea and requiring a CPAP is not going to be an automatic 50% anymore.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/02/15/2022-02051/schedule-for-rating-disabilities-mental-disorders

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/02/15/2022-02049/schedule-for-rating-disabilities-ear-nose-throat-and-audiology-disabilities-special-provisions