Owning stock in a marijuana farm...

Tank

3 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

How the would they know if you don’t mention it?

Maybe I'm overly conservative, but this doesn't strike me as the best strategy for something like this.

When the FBI showed up at my high school bud's house after I gave him as a reference for my security clearance back in the day, his mother about had a heart attack (in hindsight, he probably wasn't the best option considering his recent coke possession conviction - my bad).  Fortunately, it all worked out for me. 🙄

• Haha 2

Marijuana “investments” could impact your clearance.  I can’t wait for one fund manager with the TSP program to buy into some reefer company and take out the entire USAF.

• Like 2

Marijuana “investments” could impact your clearance.  I can’t wait for one fund manager with the TSP program to buy into some reefer company and take out the entire USAF.
SF86 guidance for foreign investments says diversified/public funds that happen to have foreign stocks need not be reported - it'd be logical to extend that to weed stocks. Caveat - requires logical govt behavior

When I did a short stint as a security clearance background investigator post-retirement (before finding a real job), I don't recall having to ask anything about investments when I would "investigate" for TS clearances except for foreign financial interests.  

On 3/1/2019 at 1:25 AM, JeremiahWeed said:

Maybe I'm overly conservative, but this doesn't strike me as the best strategy for something like this.

When the FBI showed up at my high school bud's house after I gave him as a reference for my security clearance back in the day, his mother about had a heart attack (in hindsight, he probably wasn't the best option considering his recent coke possession conviction - my bad).  Fortunately, it all worked out for me. 🙄

My college roommate was a small time weed dealer and when they came to talk to him, he grabbed all of his merchandise and headed for the state line. He called me about 10 times in an hour and told me how he wasn’t a rat and wouldn’t tell them anything (of which there was nothing to tell). That was an unintended hiccup to that process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

My college roommate was a small time weed dealer and when they came to talk to him, he grabbed all of his merchandise and headed for the state line. He called me about 10 times in an hour and told me how he wasn’t a rat and wouldn’t tell them anything (of which there was nothing to tell). That was an unintended hiccup to that process.

So, don’t list your buddy who’s a weed dealer as a reference?

On 3/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, pbar said:

When I did a short stint as a security clearance background investigator post-retirement (before finding a real job), I don't recall having to ask anything about investments when I would "investigate" for TS clearances except for foreign financial interests.  

So the medical MJ card I have would probably have been discoverable no?

Received this email today:

“The DoD Consolidated Adjudications Facility (CAF)’s current legal position is that ownership of marijuana stocks is considered involvement in drug-related activities and would be a "reportable incident" under the Continuous Evaluation process. OUSDI is currently drafting implementation guidance of the Security Executive Agent Directive (SEAD) 3, Reporting Requirements for Personnel with Access to Classified Information or Who Hold a Sensitive Position. Among other reportable activities required by SEAD3, the memo will address reporting requirements for covered individuals with financial investments or holdings in companies who sell or manufacture schedule I substances legally under state law.

While the DoD CAF is currently working on guidance that will address marijuana-based investments, previous guidance issued by the CAF remains effective. Marijuana-based investments are considered a reportable incident and should be reported via the SF86C through the Unit Security Assistant to the IP Office and we will submit to the DoD CAF. We will keep you informed of any changes or updates from the DoD CAF or OUSDI regarding this subject matter. In cases where your member isn't directly choosing the stocks, he or she has the responsibility to stay informed and avoid violating the federal law.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

Received this email today:

“The DoD Consolidated Adjudications Facility (CAF)’s current legal position is that ownership of marijuana stocks is considered involvement in drug-related activities and would be a "reportable incident" under the Continuous Evaluation process. OUSDI is currently drafting implementation guidance of the Security Executive Agent Directive (SEAD) 3, Reporting Requirements for Personnel with Access to Classified Information or Who Hold a Sensitive Position. Among other reportable activities required by SEAD3, the memo will address reporting requirements for covered individuals with financial investments or holdings in companies who sell or manufacture schedule I substances legally under state law.

While the DoD CAF is currently working on guidance that will address marijuana-based investments, previous guidance issued by the CAF remains effective. Marijuana-based investments are considered a reportable incident and should be reported via the SF86C through the Unit Security Assistant to the IP Office and we will submit to the DoD CAF. We will keep you informed of any changes or updates from the DoD CAF or OUSDI regarding this subject matter. In cases where your member isn't directly choosing the stocks, he or she has the responsibility to stay informed and avoid violating the federal law.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

That's the orignal that went out and is now being reported to not be true/accurate.  

I would not be the first in your squadron to press to test.

The TSP 'C' fund has Microsoft...how far down the rabbit hole will they go?

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-marijuana-tracking-software-2016-11

edit: and 'I' fund holds Novartis

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-18/tilray-goes-global-with-novartis-marijuana-sales-partnership

Edited by Day Man
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, Danger41 said:

Dude that is absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, BashiChuni said:

About as ridiculous as the Air Force investigating Elon musk for one hit of a blunt on joe rogans podcast

They said they investigated him  because they had too, he’s got NASA by the balls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:26 AM, Tonka said:

What does smoking it with joe rogan do to your security clearance?

Elon Musk’s security clearance under review by the Pentagon over pot use

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/07/elon-musk-security-clearance-under-review-pentagon

Willing to bet he lose his SECRET clearance. You can keep your clearance if you self ID for being addicted. But not for what he did.

Edited by Shazaam