What are my chances? (ANG)

Nova1976

Hello everyone,

I would like to start off by saying thank you to those of you that are reading this that have served and are currently serving this country. I hope to join you soon!

(New member here) I am a college senior finally getting to the point where I can start applying seriously to guard units. I'm graduating this spring with an accredited engineering degree and have my PPL with around 120 hours along with my tail wheel endorsement. I will be applying to several upcoming UPT boards in the north east focusing on fighters for now. I'm just trying to get an idea of my competitiveness as well as gain any tips on rushing units and getting to know the right people! I have wanted this for my whole life and I am determined to do whatever it takes to accomplish this goal. 

My Numbers:

AFOQT Pilot: 97

PCSM: 95

PPL: Yes, (mostly tail wheel time on tundra tires and skis)

GPA: 3.3 (Deans List several times)

Work experience: I now work part time as a mechanical engineer and have worked on farms my entire childhood and thru high school.

Extra Curricular activities: Baseball in both high school and college, National Honor Society in high school

Any input or advice anybody has is much appreciated! Thank you and Godspeed. 

Thanks for the reply! I apologize. Here are the rest of my scores. I had been told previously that only my AFOQT Pilot and PCSM where the scores that mattered as long as the other scores where passing.

P: 97    NAV: 84    ACAD: 41    VERB: 36    QUANT: 48    ABM: 95    CSO: 84 

19 hours ago, Nova1976 said:

Thanks for the reply! I apologize. Here are the rest of my scores. I had been told previously that only my AFOQT Pilot and PCSM where the scores that mattered as long as the other scores where passing.

P: 97    NAV: 84    ACAD: 41    VERB: 36    QUANT: 48    ABM: 95    CSO: 84 

Every unit is different but all the fighter units I know of put weight on all your scores.  Verbal skills - used every single day.  Academic aptitude is whether you can learn and process new information quickly - no brainer there for fighters especially. 

If I were you, I'd retake the test.  Those scores aren't very competitive for our squadron at least.  YMMV. 

17 minutes ago, EvilEagle said:

Every unit is different but all the fighter units I know of put weight on all your scores.  Verbal skills - used every single day.  Academic aptitude is whether you can learn and process new information quickly - no brainer there for fighters especially. 

If I were you, I'd retake the test.  Those scores aren't very competitive for our squadron at least.  YMMV. 

Understood, will plan on retaking the test asap. Thanks again

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, WhiskeyPapa said:

@EvilEagle Let's say @Nova1976 knocked the AFOQT out of the park - 99's across the board.

Would a 3.3 GPA be seen as a weakness? Because that's the boat I'm in, except I don't have any baseball skills to boot 😉

I'd say that depends on the board, how challenging your degree program was, what extra curriculars you had going on then, etc.  3.3 isn't bad, but if you have a degree in Civics or something with a 3.3 and got 99's across the board on the AFOQT you just weren't trying in college.  However if it was Engineering Physics.... 

BL:  Probably competitive in most places I'm familiar with.