UPT Next

norskman

I did a lag roll pretty close to my form partner in T-6s.  My instructor let me do it.  It was my rec ride for form in T-6s.  Other than my checkride the next day, it was one of my last memories of flying upside down, as I tracked helos.  

1 hour ago, Biff_T said:

I did a lag roll pretty close to my form partner in T-6s.  My instructor let me do it.  It was my rec ride for form in T-6s.  Other than my checkride the next day, it was one of my last memories of flying upside down, as I tracked helos.  

You can fly upside down in helos!  

(once)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

I think there is a video of a CH-53 doing a loop somewhere...

https://youtu.be/VC2E8RJE3Jo

Edit: Huge nutsack alert!!!

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought

2 hours ago, Bigred said:

In the early days of the -53 a loop was part of the FCF profile. At least according some of the sim instructors in Milton. 

As a former FCF pilot, thats "nuts", big huge ones lol.   

Edit: Fully articulated rotors won't fall off like a "semi rigid" (sts) underslung rotor.  Lol.  This gave me one more chance to use "semi rigid" in a professional conversation.  Hats off to the old dudes!  They did a lot of crazy shit before I was born.  Loops in 53s, smoking in cockpits and fix to fixes without the GPS lol.  

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought

20 hours ago, Bigred said:

I’d say that validates his point. 

Apples and oranges. They don’t lack precision flying ability, they lack SA without all the data fed to them on a display (or make poor decisions as it pertains to safety of flight/general airmanship). VMFA and I are on the same page now - they need to be challenged so they learn how to maintain SA when toys go down and make good decisions without a FL/IP telling them what to do. This problem is a direct correlation to cutting air-under-ass time throughout the pipeline and letting them skate by with unchallenging/benign flying. 

• Upvote 1

As many of you know, I'm into the airshow scene. 
Chuck Aaron retired but was amazing.  Before he flew he was very focused and even tense.  He said his performance margins were thin.  

Aaron Fitzgerald has taken over and flies a great show.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

As many of you know, I'm into the airshow scene. 
Chuck Aaron retired but was amazing.  Before he flew he was very focused and even tense.  He said his performance margins were thin.  

Aaron Fitzgerald has taken over and flies a great show.

Those are crazy mfers man!   It doesn't feel natural to pull over the  horizon without wings lol.  

4 hours ago, brabus said:

Apples and oranges. They don’t lack precision flying ability, they lack SA without all the data fed to them on a display (or make poor decisions as it pertains to safety of flight/general airmanship). VMFA and I are on the same page now - they need to be challenged so they learn how to maintain SA when toys go down and make good decisions without a FL/IP telling them what to do. This problem is a direct correlation to cutting air-under-ass time throughout the pipeline and letting them skate by with unchallenging/benign flying. 

Ah, I see your point now. I’m agreement with all of that. 

It was a little harder getting ATIS in the Huey single pilot.  We were so slow, it'd change several times from the time I was 7 miles out to touch down.  So much ATIS.  I have nightmares about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the latest rumint from AETC about the future of T-38 Phase 3 and IFF? Heard some rumblings about a combined Fighter Bomber Fundamentals course replacing both, with an experiment running somewhere. Any first-hand experience or  great insight on the board?

Edited by jice
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jice said:

What’s the latest rumint from AETC about the future of T-38 Phase 3 and IFF? Heard some rumblings about a combined Fighter Bomber Fundamentals course replacing both, with an experiment running somewhere. Any first-hand experience or  great insight on the board?

Yes. FBF SGTO #1 is running at CBM this summer.

Until bombers go T-1s/AMF-S only and stop flying T-38s completely.

5 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

11Bs moving to t-1s as an end state COA wrt FBF is bad intel. But it's also moot since nobody asking that question today is going to fly the t7 in upt anyways.

it has nothing do with FBF. It has to do with capacity and it’s a real COA being discussed at air staff

it has nothing do with FBF. It has to do with capacity and it’s a real COA being discussed at air staff

The same Air Staff that decided that a red bird sim is a valid replacement for an aircraft? Let’s go full(er) retard and make a Phase 3 where the studs just watch tik tok.

*Please don’t suggest this to anyone in the puzzle palace, they’ll probably run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, Pooter said:

Just once, I'd love to hear news about UPT getting more rigorous. Literally in any way

Well the news (good or bad depending on how you feel about the syllabus) is that UPT is going to something similar to the old syllabus. Should be about three checkrides with one after trans, one after nav, and one after form. Mission to top off then track select and graduation a few weeks later follow by T-1s or T-38s. So there is that. Dunno if that means it's getting more rigorous or not. 

Well the news (good or bad depending on how you feel about the syllabus) is that UPT is going to something similar to the old syllabus. Should be about three checkrides with one after trans, one after nav, and one after form. Mission to top off then track select and graduation a few weeks later follow by T-1s or T-38s. So there is that. Dunno if that means it's getting more rigorous or not. 

Still sim only for T-1s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk