ANG Enlisted to ANG/RES RPA Pilot path

ilnasty

Quick background story is I have 14 years time in service (7 active duty and 7 Air National Guard) Currently I am a full-time guard technician. I am a 33 year old SMSgt (I know quick). I recently took my AFOQT and was shocked by the scores: P95, N99, AA93, V94, Q83. Also got ABM98 and CSO99. I have my degree in Business Administration with a GPA of 3.62.  I have 0 flight hours and took the TBAS, my PCSM score is only 34...pretty bad and considering a retest. I know I am too old for a rated pilot position, but I am interested in the RPA route. If anyone has any info or experience in a similar situation let me know.  Bonus points, most positions I am seeing that are advertised are for Drill Status Guardsmen positions, what kind of opportunities exist for a civilian job in the RPA realm?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by ilnasty

With that kind of background and an interest in RPAs, units will go head over heels for you. You oughta be waiverable, but I have no knowledge or experience in the RPA realm, so don't quote me.

I think the vast majority of pilot postings are DSG, but there oughta be full-time positions available at your base through technician/AGR routes.

The opportunities are generally... fly RPAs. There are a lot of contracting positions for RPA pilots, and I've heard they pay quite handsomely. Only speculation, but from my experience, it seems that big Air Force does a lot of contracting when they need to bridge a gap that they are working on bridging. So you could have a lucrative career contracting for a few years and then it suddenly goes *poof*. Again, no direct experience, but generally, DoD doesn't like to drop huge stacks on contractors when it can drop small stacks on military members.