Rate my chances! Young college senior (98 PCSM)

ckelley444

Howdy,

I am currently attending a state university and have been planning on flying fighters for as long as I can remember. I am a young 20 years old and pushed through college in 3 years (May '19). 

Here's my current stats:

AFOQT: 94 Pilot 75 Nav

PCSM: 98 

Major: Aviation Science w/ Flight Training Concentration 

GPA: 3.51

205 Hours with commercial multi w/ instrument 

I have met with several officers in the ANG including the wing commander. They told me now is the time to apply! The unit I am applying to currently flies F-15s, and are supposedly getting either a newer version of the F-15 or F-35s within a few years. Either way, they are planning on switching airframes. 

What are my chances? I was told to enlist before applying to this unit, however that would mean missing school and ultimately applying for a job I wouldn't want to have, and delaying my track to achieve the slot. I feel like if I just signed on it would be as if I were trying to pander to the board, saying "See?? I'm committed! I have no interest in (enlisted job), but I'm using it as a stepping stone!" 

Don't take this as "this peasant work is below my rich blood!" I sweep floors, clean pools, jackhammer cement to pay the bills. 

I am a musician, mechanic, artist, surfer, etc and I think I would fit the 'whole person' concept pretty well. I exercise regularly. 

I am concerned about a couple of things. 1.) Not being enlisted. The wing commander says that they hire off the street occasionally, so its not impossible. 2.) Age. Would they say 'yeah apply when you're older'? 

I have some solid letters of rec, one from a Colonel. One is from the director of flight operations at my school, and the other is from a world renowned professor. 

Thanks! 

Edited by ckelley444

Well, I wish I could have told you to enlist a few years ago. It would've paid for a good chunk of school and it would have taught you quite a bit, but there's a reason the ANG is "the best kept secret in the military". Not everyone knows it exists and fewer know how cool it is. That's all in the past, there's no way to go back now.

I'm with you on this. Enlisting *now* while you're pushing for a commission is not worth your time. Some bases are backed up quite a bit on training -- my base has dozens of folks waiting for training dates and some have been waiting for over a year. It's insane.

What I suggest is sticking to what you're doing now but finding *every* opportunity to show your face to the ANG unit, whether on or off-base. ANG units host or participate in all sorts of volunteer events, stuff like 5Ks, etc... and if you can figure out where the pilots are going to be, you can show your face at these events. An important note if you choose to do this: you're pretending to be "pretty much part of the Wing" not "pretty much part of the Fighter Squadron". If you're familiar with what Student Flight is on an ANG base, you're pretty much pretending to be one of them.

Also see if you can't get your medical stuff out of the way ASAP. First class medical, who cares. The military is super crazy about weird medical tidbits. I knew a guy who had an inhaler prescribed to him as a kid. The inhaler did not help the symptoms he was feeling, so he stopped using it, and he grew out of it after about a year. It took almost an entire year to convince the medical folks that he's in tip-top shape and the inhaler had no impact on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Catman said:

What I suggest is sticking to what you're doing now but finding *every* opportunity to show your face to the ANG unit, whether on or off-base.

I called a recruiter over there about three months ago and asked if I could swing by just to show face, sweep the hangar floor, or shake some hands. Something to get my name floated. They said that they "don't really do that" and I should just show up for the applicant meet in greet in March, which I am planning on attending. 

As far as the medical stuff, I dont have anything sketchy like that in my medical history that would warrant any red flags (at least, I hope not). My main concern however are my eyes. I *barely* got the 1st class without glasses. I have a minor astigmatism that makes my vision not perfect. Im willing to get PRK but I dont want to DQ myself by going to the wrong doctor, and I dont want to wait until two weeks before OCS to get surgery. I will be bringing this up with someone over there as soon as I get the chance 

Thanks for the reply! 

I called a recruiter over there about three months ago and asked if I could swing by just to show face, sweep the hangar floor, or shake some hands. Something to get my name floated. They said that they "don't really do that" and I should just show up for the applicant meet in greet in March, which I am planning on attending. 
As far as the medical stuff, I dont have anything sketchy like that in my medical history that would warrant any red flags (at least, I hope not). My main concern however are my eyes. I *barely* got the 1st class without glasses. I have a minor astigmatism that makes my vision not perfect. Im willing to get PRK but I dont want to DQ myself by going to the wrong doctor, and I dont want to wait until two weeks before OCS to get surgery. I will be bringing this up with someone over there as soon as I get the chance 
Thanks for the reply! 

I don’t know what the policy is with astigmatisms, but if you get PRK, it is a year before you are eligible. So if you need it, do it ASAP. But, ignoring the astigmatism, your vision doesn’t have to be 20/20. It just has to be correctable to 20/20 and can’t be worse than 20/70, I think.

I’m applying for units now too, I’d say don’t limit yourself to one fighter squadron, apply for all of them! You’re young enough to be a little picky, but I would still apply everywhere that interest you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I plan on applying to several units across the country ranging from heavies to F35 squadrons (because, why not?) 

I know VT ANG will probably only hire from within, but maybe they'd be willing to broaden their horizons if I impress them with my bad puns and dad jokes 

On 1/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, N730 said:

’d say don’t limit yourself to one fighter squadron, apply for all of them! You’re young enough to be a little picky, but I would still apply everywhere that interest you.

Anyone know how this looks to apply everywhere if you specifically want fighters? Could it come back to haunt you if you are offered a heavy UPT slot and turn it down in hopes to get a fighter slot?

Just something to consider...

• Upvote 1

My opinion - Don't go enlisted when you're college complete / near to it.  You know what you want and time is currently on your side.  Enlisting for MAYBE a minimal increase in hiring preference is not worth the couple years you just set yourself back.  It makes more sense for someone heading to college/early in college who also wants help paying for school.  I think most units will hire off the street for the right guy...some put more weight on in-house interviewees, but it's not a guarantee they'll be hired or an off-the-street guy won't be hired.

Apply everywhere, regardless of what rumors you've heard about off the street hiring, etc.  For Stearman's question - if you're young and dead set on chasing fighters, then skip applying to heavies for now.  When you're starting to get closer to the age limit, throw heavies into the app mix.  If you apply for both right now and just want to go to UPT ASAP, then I'd take the first job offer and don't look back.  I wouldn't apply yet to heavies if you already know in your heart you're going to ditch their job offer in favor of a FS offering a similarly timed job.  Technique only.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brabus said:

Apply everywhere

Thats the plan, although like everybody, I have my preferences. The Colonel I met with told me that the squadron Im applying for has to fill 14 slots, which is pretty excellent. I have high hopes and low expectations 

Second (or is it third now) the idea to hold off on enlisting.  We hire a lot more off the street dudes than internal hires.  I'm guessing you are at Jax because they are the only Eagle unit that wants to fly that piece of FOD F-35.  They hire plenty of guys off the street too.  Finish up school and show up for the organized meet & greets. 

Anyone know how this looks to apply everywhere if you specifically want fighters? Could it come back to haunt you if you are offered a heavy UPT slot and turn it down in hopes to get a fighter slot?

Just something to consider...

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I was saying that if he wanted fighters to apply to all of the fighter squadrons. Not apply to every squadron, regardless of airframe.

It sounded like he was only focusing on one squadron at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app