TBAS Airplane/Horizontal Tracking Simulator

donkey

Hi All,

Figured I'd share my TBAS simulator (airplane and horizontal tracking) with all of you because it's been pretty helpful for me.  Hopefully you all find it just as useful as I've found the flash cards, etc.  The main game window looks like this:

125448967_TBASGameWindow.thumb.png.41571df5d8f01fa62c43dfaf7f30bb13.png

Download Link:  Here

Included is everything you need to simply play it as well as edit it to your liking.  Use 7-zip to decompress the zip file.  I'm currently using a simple thrustmaster joystick and thrustmaster rudder pedals.  These both work as needed and were relatively cheap.  

Full disclosure, I haven't taken the TBAS yet.  This is based on readily available info from big blue so this may or may not be an exact match to the actual test but it should hopefully be close enough.  Just spend 6-9 minutes a night for a few nights before your test and it should help you all out.

Thanks.

Edited by donkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

Just took the test. There’s some minor differences but I’d say it does a good job of preparing you. 

I don’t need the hardware anymore, so I’m happy to send it to the first person who wants it free of charge. Just do the same when you’re done with it and pass it on. 

Thanks.

@donkey out of curiosity, how did you do on the TBAS after using this simulator? I am definitely downloading tonight and will use this to practice with as I am taking the TBAS in the coming months. How often did you practice with this as well?

Edit: To those asking through messages, I do not have the TBAS simulator still. 

Edited by Riddles

5 hours ago, Riddles said:

@donkey out of curiosity, how did you do on the TBAS after using this simulator? I am definitely downloading tonight and will use this to practice with as I am taking the TBAS in the coming months. How often did you practice with this as well?

Riddles,

I ended up with a 98 PCSM with a 98 Pilot and hours in the 41-60 bracket.

I'd say I practiced a couple hours total over a month or so, with that being concentrated a little more in the few days before the test. Just like the flash cards, I doubt doing it more would be a bad thing.

I obviously did pretty good on it, a lot better than I thought I did walking out. This and the flashcards will definitely help, but I think the most important thing is getting a good nights sleep and taking your time. I took it with a group of people and was the last one to finish. No bonus points for being the first one done, take your time and make sure you understand the instructions!

Good luck, hope this helps you!

Edited by donkey

On 12/26/2018 at 3:57 PM, mtys999 said:

@donkey thanks for posting the software! I downloaded both 7 zip and the file you posted to my computer but I am not having any luck getting the simulator to open. Any ideas what may be going wrong? Thanks!

@mtys999 Shoot me a pm we'll try to figure it out.

To get your started, are you running a 64 bit desktop/laptop? When you download the link (download it onto your desktop), you should get a .7z extension file. If you have downloaded and installed the 7zip program, then either 1)double left click the file and drag and drop the "TBAS-Sim" folder to your desktop (this should auto extract it). Then you can open the folder on your desktop, and then double click the "TBAS Game" folder and double click the "TBAS" application which should open/run the program or 2) download the .7z file, right click -> 7zip -> Extract Here -> Open "TBAS-Sim" folder -> TBAS-Game -> TBAS.

If you did the above, PM with a little more detail on where you're getting stuck/what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow very neat. Would've helped me a ton as I was TERRIBLE at this section and only this one. Playing fighter sims didn't help me at all, not sure what my problem is tbh. Going to play around with this for fun though just to see if I could get decent at it eventually. Not planning to retake the TBAS myself. Thanks for sharing to all those that will need it, I know I would be ecstatic to find this.

@donkey  This looks awesome and I want to try it out but I seem to be running into an issue. Long story short; After  installing the game and the drivers for my Thrustmaster Hotas One I'm not sure how to get the joystick to function in the game. I'm sure it's a simple fix but  I guess I'm not that tech savvy to know what fix actions I should be taking. On a Windows 10 laptop. Appreciate your help.

I haven't taken the TBAS yet but it seems like a great simulator, thanks! In my case it was just plug and play. I had an old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick laying around which worked great, and I recently got the Thrustmaster Warthog because it was at a good price, and the program also works great on it. I even got a set of Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals, they are like $70 right now on Amazon, and the rudder aspect of the sim works great on them as well. The only thing that I haven't been able to do is run the joystick and the rudder inputs concurently, I have to switch inputs and practice one at a time, but hey, that's neither here nor there, great app. Thanks! 

Also, @A779R, when you plug in your Thrustmaster Hotas One, does it show on your devices tab in the windows settings? I mainly use mine to run X-Plane, therefore my computer was somehow already used to the device, and it synced perfectly with the program without me having to do anything out of the ordinary. 

Edited by gatsby

@A779R PM me some more info. Are you able to open the game (planes are moving, you just can't move the reticle(s) at all or they are incorrect inputs)?

@gatsby PM me some more info as well. Does one input control both at the same time? I'm guessing you already tried hitting the switch input button?

Lets have both of you guys download the following file: Detection Test

Same thing as the TBAS file, download it, extract it with 7zip, and run the file. Should look like this:

Untitled.png.86297fedba7a320f87c8978ca1f4facc.png

Open it and plug in your joystick and rudder, one at a time. For the joystick move it left and right and then up and down and record the axis numbers. For example, mine are 0 for left and right and 1 for up and down (joystick) and 2 for rudder petals (left or right). Then navigate to where you extracted the TBAS source files and open the "project" file (type is GODOT file).

483758675_Untitled3.thumb.png.6c6ccdc01e755b75e3d65f6bbefce1f4.png

First off, at the top right hit the play button (or F5). The game window should pop up. See if you're still having issues inside this.

If so, on the bottom left hand side there should be a "scripts" section. Expand that and open the "bottomReticle.gd" and then the "reticle.gd" sections. BottomReticle is the rudder and reticle is the joystick. At the top of each there should be a line "joystick = JOY_AXIS_X". In my case for the rudder, the input is 2 (i.e., JOY_AXIS_2). See below:

1201513874_Untitled2.thumb.png.c75ea528d3712b798e67bd91020de2d7.png

The numbers you got from the detection program are what your computer is recognizing as the inputs for those hardware devices. See if the numbers in the two reticle files are the same as what you got from the detection program. If not, we'll need to change them to what you got from the joydetect program.

So for example, my rudder was axis 2. The toe brakes on it were axis 0 and 1 (for each, respectively). If I edit the JOY_AXIS from 2 to 1, then save it [control button and s on keyboard at same time, then hit the play button on the top right (or F5)], then my toe brake controls the horizontal movement of the reticle. Try this and let me know how it goes. When you save the changes, you may need to hit the "switch inputs" button. If you notice in the two reticle files, joyPort is 1 and 0 for the two devices (joystick and rudder). This is basically going to depend on how your computer recognizes the devices. You may need to "swap" them by hitting that switch inputs button in case your PC recognizes them differently.

Hopefully this helps you guys along, PM me if you're still having issues, we'll try to work through them!

Edited by donkey
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is having trouble getting the simulator to open once they download it, this video explains the 7 zip download and file extraction

For those wondering what kind of joysticks/rudder pedals work with the software, I have successfully used the following:

Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick, Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X, Logitech G Pro Pedals, CH Pro pedals. I have tried both sets of pedals with both joysticks and all combinations work (The pedals and joystick run concurrently so you can do both the horizontal and vertical tracking at the same time) I think someone else was only able to get one work at a time, with a different hardware setup. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 2:20 PM, donkey said:

Hi All,

Figured I'd share my TBAS simulator (airplane and horizontal tracking) with all of you because it's been pretty helpful for me.  Hopefully you all find it just as useful as I've found the flash cards, etc.  The main game window looks like this:

Included is everything you need to simply play it as well as edit it to your liking.  Use 7-zip to decompress the zip file.  I'm currently using a simple thrustmaster joystick and thrustmaster rudder pedals.  These both work as needed and were relatively cheap.  

Full disclosure, I haven't taken the TBAS yet.  This is based on readily available info from big blue so this may or may not be an exact match to the actual test but it should hopefully be close enough.  Just spend 6-9 minutes a night for a few nights before your test and it should help you all out.

Thanks.

Do you remember which speed setting is closest to the real thing? also how much tension was there in the flight stick? i cant find a cougar anywhere so im stuck with my x52 stick which i can attempt to tighten the spring somehow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The link to the simulator doesn't work any more, any chance you could put it up again for some of us to get some practice in?

It would be much appreciated

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 11:50 PM, donkey said:

Hi All,

Thanks.

Hi, I just found this and I tried to download the simulator, but MediaFire doesn't have it on their site anymore. Is there anywhere else I can get this so that I can start practicing?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...