Selection Chances - Civilian to AD OTS

macdonalddg

Hey everyone,

First timer here, thanks in advance for reading my post.

I'll be applying to the Civilian AD OTS Boards here shortly, 19OT02 applications are due in January.

I'll be 27 by the time the board sees my package and I'm applying for Pilot/CSO/RPA/ABM. Considering applying Pilot/CSO only however and if non-select this go around I'll put down everything rated + Intel for 19OT03.

Current AFOQT Scores: P 93, N 88, AA 38, V 62, Q 21, ABM/CSO 83/88

PCSM: 70 w/ 3 flying hours. Aiming for at least 6 or 11 hours. Max is 98.

I'll be graduating this December with a degree in Homeland Security, GPA 3.16

I consistently volunteer and make efforts to lead volunteer projects such as the Ronald McDonald house, etc... I've been working as a police dispatch supervisor for the past 5 years and keep myself involved in professional groups.

One of my achievements that I'm proud of is the creation of a Military Wall of Honor at my police department to honor those officers that served/are serving in the military. I believe it has made our department more patriotic and boosted morale for the patrol group by recognizing those that are serving as well as the veterans.

I have 4 letters of recommendation:

- Former Air Force Colonel in OSI who was one of my professors

- Two former supervisors one of which was another professor

- Chief of Police

I'm also trying to get a letter from my flight instructor who used to instruct for F-4 squadrons and I'm reaching out to other Air Force Pilots I've met in the past (likely won't get one though)

I'm currently married and expecting my first child here in the next week, my wife is a registered nurse who also wants to join the Air Force as we're both Air Force brats that grew up in this lifestyle and we'd love to raise our family in the same environment.
I truly think serving in the Air Force is one of the greatest things someone can do for themselves, their family, and their country.

Thanks again for reading my post, I'm familiar with www.airforceots.com, and other OTS online groups but I'm happy to have found these forums as I've been reading a ton of great discussion that I haven't seen elsewhere. 
Would love for you guys to give me your thoughts on my selection chances, thank you!

Edited by macdonalddg

I think you're competitive for the AD board, but definitely hit your 11 hour mark so you aren't leaving easy points off the table. 

I'll throw some advise at you though as my buddy is a C17 driver married to an AD nurse... Make sure you both fully understand what you're signing up for, especially with a baby on the way. My bro just PCSd and his wife was unable to accompany him and it really is stressing their marriage, so definitely make sure you both talk those things through before taking the plunge. Double AD can be rough. 

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, my wife and I talk about it a lot. She'll be joining the Air Force after she get's her master's so hopefully by then we'll have our stuff more figured out, we've known for years though that this is something we want to do. If selected it is gonna suck really hard leaving my wife and kid but it'll be so worth it.

If I hit the 21 hour mark my PCSM will be 82, if I don't get 21 hours I'm hoping to at least squeeze in a solo w/ 11 hours.

Edited by macdonalddg
clarification