Attempting DQ overturn one year post surgery

Dakford

Hello,

In 2017 I got a pilot slot as an ROTC cadet, went to medical screening and was medically qualified. Later that year, I had a bad sinus infection. My doctor said I might have mild chronic sinitus and recommended sinus surgery. I advised SG of the situation and was DQ'd from all rated duties with mention that I could be evaluated in one year after the surgery and attempt to overturn the DQ. I was reassigned to a different AFSC. 

I recently commissioned and will EAD in two weeks (although I still don't have my orders haha). I had a CT scan last week that shows I would be good to go as per the AFCENT waiver guide (showing ostea of sinuses to be patent, relieved, etc.) The tech even noted that pre-surgery CT shows minimal inflammation at most, and the operative report comments that all sinuses looked very healthy on the day of surgery. It seems the chronic sinitus was very minor in the first place. 

Now I just need to find out how to attempt an overturn. I have come to learn that one does not simply call up the AETC SG and ask questions. The one-year post surgery mark is coming up in two months and so far I have not been able to get a clear answer from any AD personnel (Det NCOs) on how to go about being evaluated and pursuing an overturn. It seems nobody has much experience with the process. I have searched various AFIs and could find no reference. 

Does anyone have experience with this process? Assuming I am medically qualified, it seems that getting through to the right channels might be my LIMFAC here, as I have found no information on it so far. Thank you to anyone who has any experience or advice. 

• Upvote 1

First off you still have a TON of time to go rated. So the dream IS NOT dead! This DQ is a small setback...they happen but with the right backing anything is possible.

My advice enter your new AFSC and go all out and run with it. Do great work, network, network, network, build a solid foundation as an Officer with bitchin’ OPRs. And build a solid foundation of TRUST with your leadership now for potential reach back.

Depending on your careerfield you may want to keep your rated aspirations quieter than in other AFSC in my experiences but feel out your leadership...they might be all in sooner versus later in my experience.

Regardless, you can start your FC1 application any time. If your AFSC sees a flt doc your set(ish). Just ask your PCM you want to start your FC1 physical.  If you see family medicine you have to ask to go see flt med to start your FC1. Regardless, you bring up what you posted above and the flt doc doing your paperwork will run with it. If it needs a waiver they’ll do that paperwork. If it doesnt need a waiver the flt doc should annotate it at a minimum and annotate its not a factor for FC1 per the waiver guide, afi xx-xx, etc.

keep in mind when you get your FC1 approved though, Its only valid for 24months from certification from the AETC/SG per the UFT application AFI. Meaning dont start the process to get one approved in Jan19 when you wanna apply for the FY22 board. Your physical won’t be valid. Get the physical when u have an idea which rated board you intend to apply to.

keep your head up boss. The air force is your muddy muddy oyster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...