GI Bill education benefits transfer

Velosprints

Hey all - I've been on hold with the total force call center for 45 minutes now, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to reach out to you fine folks and see if someone here has the answer I need. 

I understand that if I were to transfer my benefits today, I would have to commit to another 4 years of service. I am eligible to retire in January 2021, and I was wondering if they'd make me extend my service beyond that date?

Hey all - I've been on hold with the total force call center for 45 minutes now, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to reach out to you fine folks and see if someone here has the answer I need. 

I understand that if I were to transfer my benefits today, I would have to commit to another 4 years of service. I am eligible to retire in January 2021, and I was wondering if they'd make me extend my service beyond that date?

I think if you did it today your new adsc would be Sept 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1

They will extend your ADSC to Sep 2022.  Had a former sq/cc who did this and decided he'd rather retire and wanted to completely give up the transfer benefits (about a year after he transferred) - they denied it and he's been stuck past 20 for a year or so now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So... I'm assuming you misspoke, AFAIK you can not transfer the MGIB.  You can only transfer the post 9-11 benefits.

I recently heard that you can use both (up to a total of 48 months)... although I'm not quite sure how! I qualify for both, and I've already transferred the post 9-11 to my family, and served my ADSC, but I've yet to use either GI Bill.  Can I still use 12 months of MGIB for me, before my kids start using the post-911?

Well you could use the 9/11 GI bill in combination with other benefits. 

For example Harvard let's you work and study at there school. If you just do 10/hrs. a week of work in combination with your GI bill. It might be worth considering over another long active duty contract. 

So if your kids want to use it. That might be an option too.

Edited by StopLoss123

if you transferred the GI bill but now with the new retroactive removal of ADSCs don't want the ADSC for the GI bill can you "take it back" in a sense...and remove said GI Bill ADSC?

and not transfer the benefits...does that question make sense?

Edited by BashiChuni

5 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

if you transferred the GI bill but now with the new retroactive removal of ADSCs don't want the ADSC for the GI bill can you "take it back" in a sense...and remove said GI Bill ADSC?

The way I read new reg wording, I’d wager no.  It appears to effect only ADSCs for some types of flying training.  I don’t see how a GI bill benefit transfer ADSC (or in-res school ADSC as another example) would be erased.

i could be wrong, and it’s always worth a second opinion. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:34 PM, Tonka said:

So... I'm assuming you misspoke, AFAIK you can not transfer the MGIB.  You can only transfer the post 9-11 benefits.

I recently heard that you can use both (up to a total of 48 months)... although I'm not quite sure how! I qualify for both, and I've already transferred the post 9-11 to my family, and served my ADSC, but I've yet to use either GI Bill.  Can I still use 12 months of MGIB for me, before my kids start using the post-911?

If you qualify for both GI Bills, you can use a total of 48 months.  But, what I've been told is that you have to exhaust the MGIB first, all 36 months of it down to the last day of benefit.  Once you do that, then you can utilize 12 months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  If you switch between them prior to exhausting the MGIB, you will only get 36 total months of benefit, so even if you use 12 months of MGIB, you will then only get 24 months of the Post 9/11.  It's due to some caveat/loophole in the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and I believe it carries over to your situation with the transfer as well; meaning as long as no one uses the Post 9/11, you can use all of the MGIB first and get 12 more months on the other.  I'd definitely check with the VA before ops checking it.

With the much greater value of the Post 9/11 version compared to MGIB, it only seems worth it in unique circumstances.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a good phone number to call to get the final word for all of this? I was able to find out how much I have to transfer, but I’d like to know once and for all if I’d be able to retire before the 4 add’l years would be served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, BashiChuni said:

No you cannot remove the ADSC, they will make you serve it out. I transferred to my daughter and then a month later changed my mind. I revoked the transfer and tried to get the ADSC removed and the AF refused. I took this all the way to the AFBCMR, it took about 18 months for their decision and I lost the case.

I argued that this commitment is the only one where the AF has spent no money or resources and the implication on the application that the ADSC can be removed with revocation of benefit. When you apply for the transfer there used to be some language in the application that said something like "Revoking this transfer does not AUTOMATICALLY remove the ADSC." This language implies that there is a way to remove the commitment, but it just doesn't happen automatically.

In the end, I served the entire 4 year commitment. I would not count on being allowed to retire before the commitment is up.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 9:16 AM, Velosprints said:

Does anyone have a good phone number to call to get the final word for all of this? I was able to find out how much I have to transfer, but I’d like to know once and for all if I’d be able to retire before the 4 add’l years would be served.

The phone number is: 1(844) MYVA311 (1-844-698-2311)

Here is the official web site. https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/services.asp

I hope you guys enjoy your weekend.

This seems pretty cut and dry. If you transfer, you’ll pick up 4 yrs ADSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 5 months later...

Have a question I can't find an answer to on all the GI Bill FAQs so thought someone on here might have some experience with it...

If you transfer your benefits to dependents you incur a 4-year ADSC and, beginning in July, this has to be done NLT 16th year of service.  Once transferred, months can be reallocated at will without affecting ADSC.  I'm tracking all of that.

The question is - if you transfer benefits to dependents, incur your ADSC, and then later add another dependent (i.e. have another kid, get married, etc), can you allocate months to them without issue, or is that considered a NEW transfer...and therefore has to be done prior to 16 years and incurs a new ADSC?

Without a doubt, the GI Bill transfer rules are at the top of the gov fuckery list. I’m not sure of the official reason for incurring an entire standard enlistment period for transferring one month of eligibility, but I’d wager that the government doesn’t expect service members to actually use the benefits as much as their kids would. It’s more of a recruiting tool.

Without a doubt, the GI Bill transfer rules are at the top of the gov ery list. I’m not sure of the official reason for incurring an entire standard enlistment period for transferring one month of eligibility, but I’d wager that the government doesn’t expect service members to actually use the benefits as much as their kids would. It’s more of a recruiting tool.

Because the DoD views it as a retention tool and only a small recruiting tool.

Have a question I can't find an answer to on all the GI Bill FAQs so thought someone on here might have some experience with it...
If you transfer your benefits to dependents you incur a 4-year ADSC and, beginning in July, this has to be done NLT 16th year of service.  Once transferred, months can be reallocated at will without affecting ADSC.  I'm tracking all of that.
The question is - if you transfer benefits to dependents, incur your ADSC, and then later add another dependent (i.e. have another kid, get married, etc), can you allocate months to them without issue, or is that considered a NEW transfer...and therefore has to be done prior to 16 years and incurs a new ADSC?

I was told by my base education office years ago that I would incur additional ADSC every time I transferred the post 9/11 GI bill. I now know that was false but that prevented me from transferring it when I could prevent myself from having an ADSC past my UPT one.

Break break

Question for the group, if join the guard/reserves post AD can I transfer the benefit to my kid and take the ADSC in the guard? I’ve asked a guard recruiter about that and they said I could. But I am understandably paranoid after getting bad info in the past.